EA Origin problems

damo_in_sale

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I've been a PC gamer for 16 years, and in that time time I have never pirated a game, I have always bought at retail.

I have found Steam to be brilliant.

Origin is a different matter.

I bought Battlefied 3 from the local game store on DVD. When installing it required Origin installation. That was my introduction to Origin.

It played for a few days, then one weekend it decided that, when I tried to launch tha game I purchased, it would rather direct me to the Origin store to buy the game again. This persisted for the entire weekend. I gave up but it was ok the following weekend.

Purchased Crysis 2 on Origin online. Worked great and completed the game. But now I am required to activate the game each time I launch it, which I do and I am told activation was successful, so I launch the game and am told I need to activate the game again- it is stuck in a loop and I can't play the game.

So two purchases, and for both games i have been unable to play the games I have purchased?

Origin stinks. It is disgusting, it is revolting. It even says that it is Beta. Am I supposed to leave an entire gaming library to the foibles of Beta software?

You should try EA's live support about your Battlefield issue. I'm sure they'll be very helpful.....

ho3V2.png

You should try EA's live support about your Battlefield issue. I'm sure they'll be very helpful.....

:rotfl:

Brilliant :smashin:

I got in touch with them yesterday about my Crysis 2 issues. The support guy told me that he had fiddled about with my account settings and that should fix the problem.

I actually got an email saying that my problem was solved and and my ticket was closed BEFORE I got the the above response.

EA are disgusting, and Origin is unbelievably dense. It stops me from playing games which I have bought- I spent about 90 quid on these two games (the only two games I have dependent on Origin), and I have had problems playing both of them.

I have never, ever, had a problem with Steam.

Completely agree with you.

Client is rubbish, and here's my experience with their 'support':

You are now ready to chat with Arun.
Arun:
Thanks for contacting EA Help! My name is Arun how may I help you?
you:
Hi Arun, I've just purchased The Old Republic from the Origin Store, and not had any confirmation or indication when I'll get the key. Just checked the forums and there's people who have been waiting days for one. Any ideas? Thanks.
Arun:
Could you please provide me order number.
you:
Sure its Order Number: *************
Arun:
Thank you for providing me the information. Please stay online while I look into your issue.
Arun:
Could you please provide me last 4 digits of credit card number?
you:
Sure thing
you:
Arun:
Thank you for providing me the information. Please stay online while I look into your issue.
you:
Thanks Arun
Arun:
After reviewing your account I want to notify you that the order(Order Summary: ******** - Michael **** (In Process)) is still under the process .You need to wait 24 to 48 hours.
you:
How come? When I buy something on Steam it's available instantly?
you:
I could go to the shops and back quicker than 48 hours
Arun:
I would like to suggest you please wait for 5 to 10 hours.
you:
Why that long? Would you be able to maybe cancel the order so I can order from elsewhere that doesn't take so long?
you:
Every other digital download service is instant, that's the attraction of digital download. Otherwise it's easier to go to the shop (and cheaper too in this case).
Arun:
If you want to cancel your order so please wait for 5 to 10 hours,Because we are not able to cancel your order.
you:
This is terrible. Why is there no warning on the Origin store that you can't get your games instantly?
Arun:
I would like to suggest you please wait for 5 to 10 hours.
Arun:
Additionally, as a valued player, we would like to offer a small token of our appreciation in the form of a 20% off
Arun:
discount offer "**************" for the EA Store! This discount code does not have an expiration date, and can be
Arun:
redeemed for any future purchase on Origin.
you:
Thanks Arun, I know it's not your fault this Origin store is terrible. Can you pass the complaint up higher to those that can do something about it please? This is 2012 now, and this isn't an acceptable eCommerce service. Thanks Michael
Arun:
Thank you for contacting EA. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
you:
Nope, just wanted to play the game I paid £45 for thanks though
Arun:
Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts support today.
Arun:
Have a great day!
Arun:
Bye and take care!
Arun:
Merry Christmas and happy new year!

Their complete lies/nonsense about it:

The 24/48 hour delay is the standard time Banks require for all online payment processing.

Once the payment has been submitted, it takes 24-48 hours for the payment to be processed, verified and approved before any funds are transferred by your Bank. At the end of the processing period, the transaction is completed and the items are available on your account.

Some Banks provide express payment processing services, If you don't like having to wait 24/48 hours for all online transactions to be processed

Last edited:
Completely agree with you.

Client is rubbish, and here's my experience with their 'support':

Their complete lies/nonsense about it:

RE 24 hours thing...

If Sainsburys ever find out, does that mean they'll make me wait 24 hours before they let me take my milk home?

Update: just been to McDonald's. Paid by card. Have to come back tomorrow to collect McChicken sandwich after funds have cleared.

Last edited:
Got another response from Origin support. They have increased the number of allowable activations for MY game :suicide:

Of course this hasn't solved the issue, since I am told, endlessly, that my activation was successful.

And check this, when I try and do the contact thing and respond to the ticket, the browser page just hangs- tried it on Chrome and IE9 so it's not the browser.

Nine days now unable to play a game that I have paid for. It's an utter disgrace.

I had to download dragon age ultimate pack 6 times before i could get it to work on Origin - 20gb each time. I am actively avoiding any game that requires Origin now, unless they are really really good (ME3).

In the past, I have bought games in retail store and then added them to my Steam library. Race 07 is one that springs to mind (brilliant game, especially with GTR Evolution and a Logitech GTR).

Anyone know if I can do the same with my Origin bought Crysis 2? Oh the irony if this is possible :devil:

Nope. Although you can put your Steam bought Crysis 2 onto Origin, just not the other way around.

So lesson is always buy on Steam when possible.

Nope. Although you can put your Steam bought Crysis 2 onto Origin, just not the other way around.

Pain in the ass. Crysis 2 wasn't available on Steam at the time of purchase, no idea why, but was available on Origin. Does anyone know why that might be? As far as I know Crytek aren't owned by EA.

It's available on Steam now though.

I may just demand a refund and buy the game on Steam if that's possible.

It was on Steam to begin with, and then EA decided that the DLC was exclusive to Origin... which is against the Ts&Cs on Steam. All DLC should be available if the game is on Steam.

So Valve removed it from sale.

However when the Maximum Edition came out, that had all the DLC so they could put it back on Steam.

It was on Steam to begin with, and then EA decided that the DLC was exclusive to Origin... which is against the Ts&Cs on Steam. All DLC should be available if the game is on Steam.

So Valve removed it from sale.

However when the Maximum Edition came out, that had all the DLC so they could put it back on Steam.

But what's EA got to do with it? Do they publish the game for Crytek, is that it?

Yep, Crytek make the game... EA publish/sell it for them.

Thanks mate. I think the best solution is to demand a refund and then buy it again on Steam.

I truly cannot believe how aweful Origin and EA are, unbelievable.

Renamed thread.

I give it two years before it's scaled back and EA products are available on steam again.

Perhaps you should rename it again to the Origin whine thread. :rotfl:

I was going to merge it with the other Origin thread. Hopefully Origin will pick up and become more mature - there are still some niggles that need ironing out, but as was mentioned in the other thread, Steam needs competition to keep itself as a forerunner and not stagnate too.

Another vote here for a lack of confidence in Origin. I had to install it for Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3, otherwise I would've kept well away. You would think with all EA's money they could've made a piece of software that works, they've had years to study Steam and see what they do well before rolling out their own digital distribution system. :rolleyes:

Now Ubisoft have joined the party with their Uplay client, and given their previous history with PC gaming that's another I'll try and avoid for as long as possible :suicide:

Have publishers finally caught on that PC gaming isn't dying and can actually be quite profitable?

Hope you get your game sorted so you can actually play it.

You say you dislike and wish to avoid Origin and Uplay (one without even having used as far as I can gather from your post) yet give no reason why. Care to elaborate?

This happens on its own doesn't it? Origins scans for your EA Steam games and adds them itself.

Renamed thread.

What was wrong with it?

What was wrong with it?

What was wrong with it as in you didnt know what it was called before and are guinely curious, or what was wrong with it knowing what the title was?

Regardless, the title was subjective to the OP thoughts at the time, now, in ten years time, whatever, it just didnt need to be entitled that way. I know exactly how he feels too, as I had to wait for the best part of five days for Dawnguard to appear in my GreenMan Gaming account.

I have found Origin to be "intresting"

If you buy a game through them it takes ohhh this much and a bit more.

The trick is to buy a key elsewhere and enter it INTO orgin like you would steam.

Then the game shows up instantly.

I think the issue is, its a bit of a resource hog and the backend payment system which to be fair isnt Origin itself is slow.

I also find loading a BF3 map using Origin take a total age!

Ohh and its very expensive. I have bought 1 game from it I normally just entered keys and it instantly downloads.

Last edited:
Still no juice. EA tech support tell me to disable my firewall- as though I'm going to open up my PC to the entire world just to play a game. They're just guessing now.

And I've been unable to log on to the support for the last two days from my PC, it just hangs in both Chrome and IE now. It's almost as though they've blocked my PC due to excessive whining- wants to play a game he's purchased eh? Figured out tonight I can log in from my iPad, demanded a refund.

What was wrong with it as in you didnt know what it was called before and are guinely curious, or what was wrong with it knowing what the title was?

Regardless, the title was subjective to the OP thoughts at the time, now, in ten years time, whatever, it just didnt need to be entitled that way. I know exactly how he feels too, as I had to wait for the best part of five days for Dawnguard to appear in my GreenMan Gaming account.

Hi mate.

Forums are all about subjective opinions at that particular moment in time, no? :) I'm not sure what we should take into consideration how this thread might look in ten years time.

I will of course defer to any decision made by a moderator since this is a must as per the forum rules.

But, at this present time, my subjective opinion is that Origin was brewed up in Beelzebubs backside :)

Last edited:
And I've been unable to log on to the support for the last two days from my PC, it just hangs in both Chrome and IE now. It's almost as though they've blocked my PC due to excessive whining- wants to play a game he's purchased eh? Figured out tonight I can log in from my iPad, demanded a refund.

I don't think that is just you. I tried logging on to their support yesterday from my PC and it went nowhere.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom