1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EA GAmes & Fifa 2005 comes to xbox live

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by harrisuk, Jul 6, 2004.

1. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Good to see EA games have been put in there place and have agreed to start offering online games through xbox live :

From the latest live newsletter

"Forget all other months in that tatty, beaten diary of yours. This year, only one month counts. Score it into your wall in big, bold, brash letters "NOVEMBER - HALO 2 LAUNCHES". The date is set. The final touches are being added. The question is, are you ready for this decade's biggest game release? "

"Great news for gamers! Electronic Arts (EA) is bringing its critically-acclaimed games to Xbox Live™ starting this summer. Microsoft announced this fantastic news on 10 May, just before the opening of the Electronic Entertainment Exposition (E3) in Los Angeles.

For the one million Xbox Live members in 24 countries eager to play EA franchises online, this is a dream come true. More than 15 titles are expected in the coming months, including Madden NFL™ 2005, NBA LIVE 2005, FIFA Soccer 2005 and Need for Speed™ Underground 2, as well as Burnout™ 3, TimeSplitters Future Perfect™ and the popular online franchise, Battlefield."

Well its great news. Along with Halo 2, Fifa 2005 and Battlefield 1942 makes live look pretty attractive now. Needed another xbox for downstairs anyway.....

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    If 'Pro Evolution Football 4' isn't online, then EA can probably claim some market share back with this news.

I will certainly be getting both games if the former isn't live.

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I havent used live for a year as I didnt feel there were any "Killer" titles available to a better standard than were on offer on either the PC or xbconnect.

But the prospect of dedicated servers for Halo 2, Fifa and Battlefield 1942 makes it a must. I am going to buy another xbox just for these games, I cant be bothered messing around with my chipped one, I am pretty sure they will eventually suss out a way of stopping chipped boxes working on live.

4. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    If Evo4 isn't on live then maybe just maybe i might get fifa 2005 NOT :D i'm more than happy to just carry on playing pro evo offline with mates. i just really don't like fifa games one bit sorry.

Would'nt mind a 4v4 or 5v5 Basketball game on live from EA though, or how about 5v5 street football?

5. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    Does anyone know if its the case that you can only play EA Games on their dedicated servers, or is it possible over the Live service? I only ask, as if its only on EA servers, they get shut down as soon as a new update became available (ie. FIFA 2005 servers go down when FIFA 2006 comes out) and the older version would then no longer be an online game.

6. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    also i seam to remember that there was going to be a fees to use EA servers
    something was mentioned along the lines of £5 per month per Game maybe this has been overcome

7. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    It better have been overcome cos no way would i pay £5 a month extra to play any game. i mean EA should pay us £5 a month to play their crap games :laugh: ;)

8. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    The fee must have been dropped - is anyone in their right mind going to pay £5 per month to MS to use Live as well as £5* to EA per title per month to use their game, which you've already paid £40 for? (Do EA charge for online use of any of their PS2 games yet?)

Surely the best thing to do would be for EA to get a cut of the Live subs according to how many use their games. More people will be getting Live subs now anyway because EA are now on board (fools!) ...

* or whatever figure it turns out to be.

9. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think the reason ea have been so late to get on board with Live is the fee per game issue. Basically they are greedy.

People wont pay a subscription fee to play one online game on a console yet, but seing as the online console gaming market is quite far behind the pc one it will come eventually.

10. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    You don't have to pay to play EA Games on PC either...? (except for games that need permanent servers (MMORPGs)) Battlefield and so on are free. I think the reason all these rumours started is because its much easier to design a console game to force you to use certain servers, whereas that is more difficult on a PC. If EA run those servers, they will want paying.

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    EA need to be shot out of their tree if you ask me.

They churn out the same ****e year after year, and expect the world for it.

12. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    One of the biggest problems that stopped EA joining Live was the fact they wanted to stop supporting games when a new one comes out eg Fifa 2005 support would stop when fifa 2006 came out. MS have stated that all live games will be supported till Live closes regardless of how many people play them.
    Wonder how EA and MS have sorted that problem out??
    They does seem to be a hell of alot of rumous that EA games will have some sort of fee to play online - The main one was 2 months free play them a small charge per month?

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The problem with EA games is they always look at screwing the maximum amount of cash out of every franchise.

They have grown fat of subsidies (Particularly from the likes of Sony). Now Xbox is looking like getting a good slice of the market from here on in they have had to level the playing field.

But I cant help thinking they look at Live and wonder where the benefiit is for them. MS get the subscription fee (All be it a small one). Where is their cut ?

They dont understand that a killer Live title will sell even more copies of there games.

But thats the point. They think that people will buy there titles anyway however crap they are just because its EA games and its the Fifa license.

Dont think so. I just love it that they have had to get into line like everyone else.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    All previous Fifa's have been poor, even 2004 (which was online for PS2). Whether Fifa 2005 is online or not wouldn't affect my purchase decision. If it's as bad as the others then it will stay on the shelf for all the school kids to waste their money on (well someone must buy Fifa games for them to do as well as they do commercially).

Online gaming is a good laugh but not if the game itself is poor.

15. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    EA do get a 'Cut' for making an xbox live game MS charge less royalty payments for games that have Live features and even less for Xbox live games so straight away EA will make a small amount on each game they sell.

16. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I thought the EA football games were fantastic up until '98. That was the last good one.

Konami haven't beaten the original ISS on PS1 IMO though in terms of sheer playability.