EA expects Wii to cost $170(News)

Trist

I couldn't see this posted anywhere else. Apologies if it's a re-post.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=66832

Electronic Arts has revealed it expects the Nintendo Wii to retail in the US for around $170.

Speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz, executive VP and COO of EA's worldwide studios David Gardner said, "I've heard in Japan that the price is about $170, but I don't know if the price has been set in Europe yet."

Discussing the key differences between Sony's PS3 and the new Nintendo console, Gardner was positive that the Wii will find its niche in the market as a consumers 'second' console.

"Nintendo has come up with a very clever strategy," said Gardner. "They've made a choice which is great for the consumer. Now we're going to have a choice whereby consumers can buy a Wii plus one other console."
At the current exchange rates that would work out at £90! :eek: It will end up being more over here... but that's going to be a very tempting price for many people this Christmas.

Great stuff!
:thumbsup:

Ultratech

Standard Member
I'll take 139.99 and let's see who gets to come on down, the Price is right:rolleyes: .
Apologies I should not admit to watching such dross, but the dolly birds are nice :D

PioRow

Novice Member
For once I hope the exchange rates work in our favour. History suggests that £150 is the lowest price you could expect but with the exchange rate placing it at £90 I would hope for something more akin to £130. At that price I could afford an extra game on top of what I had budgeted.

S

Sarah Nya

The chap in Game told me it would be £125.00 he seemed pretty certain but how true that turns out to be knowing Game remains to be seen..

gingerone

PioRow said:
For once I hope the exchange rates work in our favour. History suggests that £150 is the lowest price you could expect but with the exchange rate placing it at £90 I would hope for something more akin to £130. At that price I could afford an extra game on top of what I had budgeted.
Well the Gamecube was £129.99 at launch.

S

Sarah Nya

Indeedy, he could well be right I hope so as it's been an expensive year for me!

Does anyone have any idea how the games are you going to be priced?

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Well let's see..

£90 (US price converted) + £19 (VAT) + £20.99 (Rip off Britain) = £129.99

Sounds about right to me! :)

BuFF DaDDy

Novice Member
Even at £129.99 I reckon its a bargain, but throw in an extra controller and a couple of games and you up to the 200 rats mark, thats assuming that Nintendo/retail dont do any bundles.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
BuFF DaDDy said:
Even at £129.99 I reckon its a bargain, but throw in an extra controller and a couple of games and you up to the 200 rats mark, thats assuming that Nintendo/retail dont do any bundles.
Indeed, £129.99 is a bargain for the Wii. OK so it's just a souped up Gamecube technology wise but as we all know the control system could really bring something new to gaming. £200 for a launch day spend is great to be honest and I think it will do very well if people can get a console a game and an extra controller for under £200.

Miyazaki

Novice Member
I don't know if it can be called a bargain at £120.

The xbox 360 core is £200 and offers reams more functionality than the wii.
I would personally be surprised if nintendo charge more than £130 for the wii.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Games Guru said:
I don't know if it can be called a bargain at £120.

The xbox 360 core is £200 and offers reams more functionality than the wii.
I would personally be surprised if nintendo charge more than £130 for the wii.
Depends how you look at it though. A core console which retails at £210 RRP, loses a lot of the functionality of the premium if you don't buy more stuff for it. You can't use marketplace, arcade or BC games without a HDD, you can't get HD without a HD cable, you can't yet stream video without Windows MC installed on your PC. You don't even have wireless pads as standard unless you buy them extra.

When you consider that the Wii comes complete with innovative wireless controller, is a lot smaller, can play GC games out of the box and also has the virtual console, allowing for the download of Nintendo's existing game library as well as other games from other providers, then the extra money for a core 360 doesn't really buy that much more functionality IMO.

Kube

Totally agree CAS.

Games Guru, i would reconsider what you describe as functionality. The Wii has perfect backwards compatibility, Virtual Console, new control system, Connect 24 for online games and downloads, SD card enabled, 512mb internal memory and USB enabled, supports DVD and CD ROMS.

DOnt be so quick to dismiss the Wiis functionality just because its a Nintendo machine.

brain_stew

Novice Member
CAS FAN said:
Depends how you look at it though. A core console which retails at £210 RRP, loses a lot of the functionality of the premium if you don't buy more stuff for it. You can't use marketplace, arcade or BC games without a HDD, you can't get HD without a HD cable, you can't yet stream video without Windows MC installed on your PC. You don't even have wireless pads as standard unless you buy them extra.

When you consider that the Wii comes complete with innovative wireless controller, is a lot smaller, can play GC games out of the box and also has the virtual console, allowing for the download of Nintendo's existing game library as well as other games from other providers, then the extra money for a core 360 doesn't really buy that much more functionality IMO.
Don't forget built in Wifi, that costs a good £60 extra on the 360. With the Wii you also get 512MB of built in memory, you've got to shell out an extra £25 to get a measly 64MB memory card for your 360 Core.