EA Access (PS4)

Cha1ky

EA Access will launch on PlayStation 4 in July

EA's game subscription service EA Access will launch on PlayStation 4 in July, after years as an Xbox One console exclusive. On PC, EA runs a similar program, Origin Access.

EA Access on PS4 will offer a similar big back catalogue of EA games as on Xbox, along with the same 10 hours of early access to new titles, and discounts on game or DLC purchases.

The subscription service will cost the same as on Xbox, too - either £4/$5 a month or £20/$30 a year. Presumably you'll have to buy a separate subscription for your PS4 to your Xbox, though.

It's a big U-turn for Sony. Five years ago, PlayStation poo-pooed EA Access for its console, and said it had decided the subscription was not "good value".

"We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect," Sony told Eurogamer at the time. "PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200 per cent since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price."

Since then, the rise of Microsoft's excellent value for money Xbox Game Pass has made game subscription services far more the norm. And Sony has its own version of this, PlayStation Now.

"With the addition of the PlayStation 4 console to the already existing membership services on Xbox One and PC via Origin, EA now offers its subscription services on more platforms than any other publisher," EA noted.

I think it shouldnt be the same price as xbox as they get xbox 360 games as well with that. while with no backwards compatibility ps4 owners wont get the ps3 games

Cha1ky

Personally, I wouldn't want PS3 or earlier games anyway. I bought a PS4 to play the newest generation of games.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Can't get too excited about this. Not many EA games on my wish list these days.

Will have a look at what games are there on launch on the off chance that it's worth the £30

Cha1ky

I think there's good value in it what it offers going by what is in the Xbox. Its not for me though as Im not interested in a lot of the games but I can certainly see the value in it for many people.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
If it has half the catalogue that Xbox has it will still be cracking value for £20 for a year.
10 Hour Early Trials, Free Games and Discounts on DLC/Games

Bioshock174

If it has half the catalogue that Xbox has it will still be cracking value for £20 for a year.
10 Hour Early Trials, Free Games and Discounts on DLC/Games
Completely agree. It is great value now. I think Sony where right 5 years ago it wasn't worth the money.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I think this was on the cards as soon as PS+ dropped the PS3 and Vita games, many of which were PS4 compatible, meaning the instant game collection is now worth a fraction of the value they were. EA Access is an easy win and helps keep pace with MS offerings.

For me, it looks better value for my lad, will it work the same as PS+ regards game share?

Bioshock174

I think this was on the cards as soon as PS+ dropped the PS3 and Vita games, many of which were PS4 compatible, meaning the instant game collection is now worth a fraction of the value they were. EA Access is an easy win and helps keep pace with MS offerings.

For me, it looks better value for my lad, will it work the same as PS+ regards game share?
It does work on the Xbox with regards to game sharing. :)

ibrox_grfc

Distinguished Member
Did anyone here subscribe to this yet?

Was having a look earlier and for me, it's not worth it yet as I have pretty much any of the games that I'd probably have downloaded with the exception of FIFA and a few of the games that are cheap ones anyway. Might wait till later in the year and then get a years subscription.

It seems good if you don't buy a lot of games but at one point I did, so I already have all of the NFS games, Burnout, Titanfall etc

I think its terrible value xbox get way more games for the same money.

and most of the games are actaully on there are old enough that they are already dirt cheap

Shanew1705

I purchased it - mainly to get 10 hours on Madden 20
I’ve also downloaded NBA Live
And can’t wait for fifa to finally end up on here too

anlygi

I took out a year subscription myself. Been hammering the Madden 20 trial, playing NHL 19 and checking out games I wanted, but avoided due to criticism such as Battlefront 2, Battlefield 5, NFS Payback and UFC 3. Add A Way Out, Fe and Burnout Paradise and it is excellent value to me. More so as my teen can as well and it was £16 using credit purchased for 80% in the classifieds.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Can you purchase EA access with PS wallet? And can you then buy ea discounted games with your PS wallet?

Basically my lad wants Fifa 20 early access and the discount via ea access. But he only uses Psn cards to top up his wallet atm. Is this OK?

Stinja

Has it got Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer yet?

Not fussed about their sports games or PvP shooters, so just not sure what it's got to offer me.

* note NOT ME3 single player

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Has it got Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer yet?

Not fussed about their sports games or PvP shooters, so just not sure what it's got to offer me.

* note NOT ME3 single player
Seeing as there's no Back Compat on Ps4 then no Mass Effect 3 SP or MP.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Can you purchase EA access with PS wallet? And can you then buy ea discounted games with your PS wallet?

Basically my lad wants Fifa 20 early access and the discount via ea access. But he only uses Psn cards to top up his wallet atm. Is this OK?
You should be able to use PSN Wallet to purchase the sub and then the discount will be active. You can grab a month for £3.99 and get the discount and then cancel if needed.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
In case its useful for anyone else, this is what we did for my lad:
  • Bought cheap PSN credit from ShopTo (they had a great deal over the weekend, might still be on)
  • Purchased a years EA Access on his account
  • Downloaded the EA hub, EA Access is enabled for year
    • Switched off auto renew
  • All vault games visible
  • We downloaded Unravel as a test
    • He could play it from his account
    • I could play it from my account logged into his primary PS4
    • Sweet :D
  • Went to the store, EA access appears by vault games
  • Found FIFA 20, preorder price included the EA Access discount
    • Therefore, EA Access integrates into the PS store quite nicely
  • The lad preordered with his wallet
    • While I loathe preorder prices, my lad always gets value out of FIFA and he had 2 discounts applied, (EA Access and Cheap PSN credit), so he got it quite cheap really and should have early access too. He's happy :)
So pretty much as @King Tones stated. I paid for the years subs to test out game share and it works nicely. As for the game collection, its clearly not as good value as the Xbox offering, but there are several games I will play over the year, so we're all happy. 👍

theprestige

I hate EA, but theres one game on there I wouldn't mind checking out. My question is regarding online gameplay. Do you have to have a PS Plus account to access EA Access games online content? Or is it like with PS Now where I can just go online and play without a ps plus subscription?

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I hate EA, but theres one game on there I wouldn't mind checking out. My question is regarding online gameplay. Do you have to have a PS Plus account to access EA Access games online content? Or is it like with PS Now where I can just go online and play without a ps plus subscription?
A quick little Google for you me old mucker

Your going to need PS+ to access Online Stuff if you want to Play Peggle 2 & The Sims

King Tones

Distinguished Member
NFS Heat ten hour trial:

Did 3 hours last night, turn on today and its locked? :thumbsdow
Do you have Instant Resume on for Games ?
You have to make sure you fully quit the game otherwise the timer is still running.

Spoonman2

Have renewed licenses twice, seems a known issue.

One mate has played it for five minutes last night, is locked today