EA - 3D titles could get premium prices...

Crovon

Prominent Member
Reaction score
E3 2010: 3D games could get premium prices - EA - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

EA has revealed that its 3D games on major home consoles may get a premium pricetag in future.

The publisher revealed this week that its own Crysis 2 - released on the EA Partners label - will be playable in full 3D later this year.

Speaking at an E3 executives breakfast event this morning, EA CEO John Riccitiello said:

"3D may well be one of the next and most important drivers for growth. [That's] yet to be seen and I don't think it's a 2010 story in any way, shape or form... in a meaningful way.

"But as we move through 2011, 2012, its likely to be an opportunity both for additional growth and perhaps premium pricing for titles that better support 3D."

Sony showed off Crysis 2 in 3D at its E3 conference this week - as well as Killzone 3, Gran Turismo 5 and MLB: The Show, amongst others.

It seems EA are reverting back to type. :suicide:

If this happens then 3D is dead before it starts.

It seems EA are reverting back to type. :suicide:

If this happens then 3D is dead before it starts.

It's understandable that premium prices may be introduced with the additional resources that go into making the games 3D.

I don't agree that 'EA are reverting back to type' if you mean that they are going to the **** again. EA's problem was the quality of the games etc. They are still ripping people off with DLC etc (marketplace is full of those DLC's for unlocking everything that you can just earn in a game) as long as they keep up the quality titles then that's cool :thumbsup:

What's a premium price nowadays anyways when most game you can get them discounted days/weeks or even day of release.

What's a premium price nowadays anyways when most game you can get them discounted days/weeks or even day of release.

Exactly. I haven't figured out why people complain games are £40/£45, who actually pays that much? When they can be had cheaper online or even on release day in supermarkets and such.

'Modern Warfare 3D' anyone? I can imagine Activision wanting to jump on that bandwagon just so they can add another £10 to the price of the game, not to mention the map pack prices would probably go up as well :rolleyes:.

'Modern Warfare 3D' anyone? I can imagine Activision wanting to jump on that bandwagon just so they can add another £10 to the price of the game, not to mention the map pack prices would probably go up as well :rolleyes:.

They don't need any excuse to up the price of "Call of Duty" other than we will pay that much for it year after year.

It doesnt matter if you dont actually pay the £40-£45 that they want to charge though, its the fact that it sets a trend where all companies can charge higher amounts, so you may still get it cheaper but not as cheap as you would have done.

I really dont see how they can justify the extra cost, so far we are lead to believe that the PS3 does 3D buy having two picture signals going to the TV - doesnt that really warrant a 'premium price'?

I dont think so.

It's understandable that premium prices may be introduced with the additional resources that go into making the games 3D.

I cant really see what additional resources would go into 3D games honestly. Its only changes to how everything is rendered. The only exception being real life video but still..

Its not the same as 3D broadcasting thats for sure.

This is just the usual how can we make more money line from the company.

Slim

not interested in 3D games so the price of them doesn't even bother me.

That depends if you have to by a game that costs £60 because it supports 3D, regardless of whether you only plan to use it in 2D!

I don't "get" the 3D thing personally, but I imagine that if I liked Avatar and wanted to buy it on BluRay there's one edition which works in both 3D and 2D rather than Avatar 2D BluRay and Avatar 3D BluRay? I'd presume the same for video games.

That depends if you have to by a game that costs £60 because it supports 3D, regardless of whether you only plan to use it in 2D!

I don't "get" the 3D thing personally, but I imagine that if I liked Avatar and wanted to buy it on BluRay there's one edition which works in both 3D and 2D rather than Avatar 2D BluRay and Avatar 3D BluRay? I'd presume the same for video games.

At the moment there is no 3D version of Avatar on bluray.

If they want to rip people off with a higher price for 3D then they have to sell a 2D version of it too or risk being told where to go by the majority of there customers.

Like many have said im not bothered either i wont have a 3dtv anytime soon

Zomg!! Ea are teh devil!!!111.

Of course there maybe a premium on 3d games. When the budget for most high end AAA games runs to tens of millions of pounds as it is now , imagine what the cost of doing that will be for a 3d version?

It's simple , if you think the price for a 3d game is too high then just dont buy it. Much like every other purchase we make in life.

Maybe a way to charge the premium.....have the 3D part lockable with a code to unlock? That way all owners can get the game at normal price but if you want 3D you use the code. The only trouble is what happens when you sell/trade the game. Maybe it would go the route of charging a fee to unlock online just like EA and others want to do or doing at the moment.

Yes I am against charging a fee to play online thru a second hand copy but 3D may prove more costly than running an online server.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Maybe a way to charge the premium.....have the 3D part lockable with a code to unlock? That way all owners can get the game at normal price but if you want 3D you use the code. The only trouble is what happens when you sell/trade the game. Maybe it would go the route of charging a fee to unlock online just like EA and others want to do or doing at the moment.

Yes I am against charging a fee to play online thru a second hand copy but 3D may prove more costly than running an online server.

Just a thought.

better still, instead of standard/collectors/limited/etc editions of games, just have standard, ltd, and then 3D.

everyone gets to choose then.

Thats the way id have thought theyd do it

The only 3D I'll be investing in is the Nintendo 3DS. No stupid glasses :clap:

I aint buying into 3D gaming, I just can't imagine the headaches. I can manage a movie in 3D now and then but no way i'm trying to sit through some epic game in 3D.

What I don't understand is, will 3D games be shipping on two seperate discs for the 360? Because disc space is becoming a luxury considering that new game Rage is likely to ship on 3 discs.

better still, instead of standard/collectors/limited/etc editions of games, just have standard, ltd, and then 3D.

everyone gets to choose then.

Maybe but can just see developers cashing-in by producing 3 editions of each ie 2D std, ltd and collector and 3D std, ltd and collector.

Now I am wondering if we will ever see glasses producing 3D images from a 2D TV negating the need to purchase a 3D TV? Would it be a possibilty?

A full list of additional resources required to make a polygon-based videogame in stereoscopic 3D:

1) A couple of extra lines in the renderer code to provide a view from the right eye, as well as the default left.

2) A license for the new version of your 3rd-party engine if you're using one. Which, given that EA own Criterion, and hence Renderware, would be pretty stupid of them.

3) Umm

4) Err

5) That's it.

Once upon a time, when looking for reasons to charge £200+ for a graphics card, NVidia used to do full flicking-glasses stereoscopic 3D, just like today's £2000+ TVs, entirely within the graphics driver. So God alone knows what EA are on about it costing them a fortune to make 3D games.

Maybe they just mean that MvC3 is going to be cheap?

Agree (as I did above).

There is next to no additional costs for 3D games. Its a scam, and well you'ld expect EA to be right onto any scam if it existed.

Slim

Exactly what I was trying to get at, cheers guys :thumbsup:

3D is pointless and will be akin to flared trousers. Seemed a good idea at the time and made some sales. When I can walk behind someone and shoot them in the back of the head and have to get out of my chair to do it, then we'll have 3D

EA are just sniffing about to see how they can get a newer revenue stream. If 3D games get a price premium it will hinder acceptance of the format. Its better just to increase prices of games when a new console comes out like the wii 2 or xbox 720 or whatever.

3D doesn't seem to be a huge buzz word with gamers. It looks like something that is going to need proper marketing rather than just be taken up by consumers on mass. In which case it will be price sensitive.

3D tvs could be one to two years away from being mass market anyway. We are at the beginning with practically no content for it.

I'm unsure why EA keep presenting themselves as profiteering to the world media all the time. How many businesses keep going on about wanting to charge more to their customers?

It's EA this is all about making more profit they always come out with the stories wanting sympathy.

I don't think they would release different versions they will release one and force you to pay the extra 3d tax other wise most people wont bother.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom