E95 set up with Sky digital planner

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Scoobydoo41, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Scoobydoo41

Scoobydoo41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Somewhat new to the forum but wow, some great advice. Was up to 1am last night trying to sort my new Panasonic E95 and get the Sky/TV hook-ups right. Think I've now got the feeds sorted...

Sky (TV scart, RGT set) -> E95 AV2
    E95 S-Video/component -> TV S-Video/Component (for some reason need component too as S-Video link doesn't quite work... :thumbsdow )

The issue is how to use the sky planner together with the E95 to record programmes. The Sky planner automatically switches the box/program on/off and I thought I could use this with Ext Link on the E95 to get the recording. However, for some reason my E95 doesn't swicth on when using the Ext Link function.

Don't know if antyone else has had this problem or any suggestions on how best to record from Sky... All feedback grateful received :thumbsup:

2. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My old skybox (and yours I think) will only activate the recorder from its VCR scart out.(logical if you think about it) The signal is composite, not RGB.
    Works though.

3. Scoobydoo41

Scoobydoo41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, will change the sky setup from RGB and see if that works. Does the sky planner work for you in order to set recording?

4. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You dont want to change the sky setting from RGB. Connect dvdr AV2 via the skybox vhs scart.This sends the planner start signal, but is not able to send RGB.(As the original old vcrs it was aimed at could not accept RGB)

Leave the skybox in RGB and connect via its tv scart to your tv for best viewing PQ (ie RGB)

Yes, the personal planner starts and stops the dvdr a treat and is very quick and simple to use . I'm very pleased.

Other peeps here daisy chain sky-dvdr-tv in order to view and to record in RGB. But you then can't use personal planner.

Just to complicate matters :) I have a further scart lead tv-dvdr AV1which can record the rgb as it loops through the tv.So I can record in rgb but obviously without personal planner I have to select the correct sky channel first. OK if you remember.
    I think that gives the best of both worlds.

5. Scoobydoo41

Scoobydoo41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like the missing link, I was trying the daisy chain which may be why the personal planner didn't work. Presumably you then use the second scart to play the Dvdr on the TV. Hopefully this will be a relatively quick setup tonight...

6. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This is down to personal preference. I'd rather have better quality recordings which also affects the playback of that recording. Anything you record in composite will be played back in composite.

As far as I'm aware you cannot record in RGB by connecting the DVDR to AV1 of your TV. The TV is only capable of sending back composite. The only way to record in RGB is to connect the Sky TV out scart to AV2 on the DVDR.

7. Scoobydoo41

Scoobydoo41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jem, I guess the question is whether you can get the convenience of the personal planner too? Is it poss to get the E95 to show prog details and automatically select the sky channel?

8. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Unfortunately no you can't. As mentioned earlier the VCR scart of the digibox has the necessary info to trigger the personal planner to start/stop the VCR/DVDR. The TV scart carries the RGB signal.

I would choose the RGB quality recording and therefore playback whilst using the Timer Record on the E95 coupled with the Persoanl Planner to change Sky channel as necessary. A bit more involved but IMO worth it for the better quality.

In my case it's not a problem as all my initial recording is done on my Sky+ box and then dumped to the DVDR.

9. MStarkey

MStarkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi Scoobydoo41,

I have the set-up you are talking about above (recording from Personal planner by using the ext-link timer) and it works really well - I see the point about RGB but for me the important thing is the convenience . I always record this way now (and the wife can do it too !).
    I have also wondered about capturing the program names - because on a few recorded programs the title has been captured but on most it hasn't. I would be very interested to find out why this happens - and if you notice it too.
    Regards
    Martyn.

10. TonyK

TonyK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can manage to get the best of both worlds i.e. RGB recording with daisy chain pass through and get it triggered from the personnal planner.

The way to do this is a bit of a bodge but I had it working with an XS32 any you should be able to do the same with the E85/95. What you need is an extra bit of kit that plugs into the VCR scart of the sky box and then transmits the activate/record remote control codes to the DVD recorder. You then connect the RGB scart from the sky box to the recorder. This works quite nicely. They used to sell them at Argos for about £20 but I can't find them on the web site. You can get them from here:
    http://www.satelliteonline.co.uk/phantom pvr.htm

11. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Looks like that could be very useful TonyK. I found their website here for a bit more information.

12. Scoobydoo41

Scoobydoo41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds excellent. I got everything working last night using the VCR link as happyh and MStarkey suggested (with some change to the ext link setup). Where does the XS32 plug in to on the E95 given that you use the AV2 Scart for the TV feed from the Sky box? Do you need a Scart -> compenent link?

13. TonyK

TonyK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Scoobydoo,
    the XS32 is the Toshiba equivalent of the Panasonic E85/E95. I used the phantom PVR with an XS32 rather than an E85 but the connections and principles are the same.
    You plug the phantom PVR into the VCR scart on the Sky box and you plug the E85 into the TV scart of the Sky box. Have a look at the link from johnjackthom which I think explains things more/better than I can do here.
    /Tony.