E95 and dvd-audio

cdb

Established Member
Reaction score
Does the dvd-audio output from the optical output or analogues?
I have an REM dvd-a and I can't seem to access the dts soundtrack (stereo or 5.1) which is supposed to be on there. The back cover shows about 5 or so separate sound tracks, but I can only find a stereo one when the player is set to dvd-a play back and a 5.1 soundtrack when set to video playback. Both of which are Dolby Digital :confused:

Does the dvd-audio output from the optical output or analogues?
Analogues only - and note the E95 can only play DVD-Audio in stereo. Ensure you buy some decent audio cables to connect between the AV3 audio outputs and your receiver/amp.

TBH the whole DVD-A/SACD digital output issue is a total farce. The major electrical producers have proven themselves totally impotent and unable to work together hence the lack of any official digital output for DVD-Audio or SACD. On some makes, such as Denon for example, custom solutions such as Denon Link will provide a digital link between Denon products. Several of the companies also use iLink connections - these at least work between different brands although your choice are again limited. Panasonic though have not adopted any of these and you have to use the analogue outputs. The E500 has 5.1 outputs, all other models use 2 channel only.

I still use my old Panasonic S-75 ( alongside the Pan E-95) to listen to my Queen DVD-As.

As the E95 doesn't have an internal decoder, do I have to connect the 2normal stereo phono outputs to my amp (avr2805) then? and if so, will it be to the 7.1inputs (or whatever) or any set of stereo inputs?

cdb said:
As the E95 doesn't have an internal decoder, do I have to connect the 2normal stereo phono outputs to my amp (avr2805) then? and if so, will it be to the 7.1inputs (or whatever) or any set of stereo inputs?

Stereo inputs.

Cheers, I'll hook it up and see if I can hear a difference.
Why doesn't it mention this in the manual, or have I just missed it :oops:

I tried it, but I could hear any difference :(

I tried listening to the dvd-audio through the digital inputs and analogue inputs, they both sounded the same :confused:

They will as the E95, if its like the E65 I have, only plays 2 channel dvd-audio so using digital optical will not give you any more options than analogue. It may have slightly less interference I suppose but I doubt you'd notice it.

Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32 said:
They will as the E95, if its like the E65 I have, only plays 2 channel dvd-audio so using digital optical will not give you any more options than analogue. It may have slightly less interference I suppose but I doubt you'd notice it.

Wackojacko32

That's odd, bought an E95 last week and was convinced that since it has digital optical out I can play 5.1 on my home cinema? But seem only able to play 3/2.
Are you saying that I won't be able to have 5.1 at all? (have not had enough time to explore all options...)

Anyway, what is the point of having OPT if it doesn't improve sound quality?

Ranser

I was talking about DVD-audio and not movies. Movies encoded in DTS or DD will play at 5.1 with the correct amp. My amp also shows 3/2.1 for 5.1 which I assume means 3 front channels, 2 rear and 1 sub.

Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32 said:
Ranser

I was talking about DVD-audio and not movies. Movies encoded in DTS or DD will play at 5.1 with the correct amp. My amp also shows 3/2.1 for 5.1 which I assume means 3 front channels, 2 rear and 1 sub.

Wackojacko32

Wackojacko

Thanks. I obviously missed that point. I am just getting confused about the display on my amp (Sony home cinema). I suppose both add up to 5, which means we are getting the best sound for movies. Still have a lot to learn I guess....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom