1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e85h-HDD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by maxwan, Nov 22, 2004.

1. maxwan

maxwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have changed the original 80 gig HDD for a 160 gig HDD but never thought would the machine know it has more space to record ?
    can you help or have i wasted my time
    kind regards

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    I think you've wasted your time, these machines only work with the original HDD size as far as I know.

3. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure that it would need a firmware upgrade to recognise this and you're not going to get that legit from Panasonic. Have you tested it yet? Why not just set it to record durning the day/night at XP and see how much you get on it.

4. maxwan

maxwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    thanks lads, I will try recording and see how much it will hold -- other than that it will have to go in my pc

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You have no hope of it using the extra space, and as the firmware has never leaked you won't be able to upgrade it either.
    Indeed if the new drive uses significantly more power than the old one you are likely to run into problems when burning dvd's. Unless the old one is faulty or too noisy you would be better off putting it back in and using the new drive in your computer where it can all be utilised.

6. maxwan

maxwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have tried leaving it recording and it recorded for 18 hours in XP mode so now I know thanks bosco.
    as for burning dvd's I have never had any problems but if it cannot use all the disk space then back in goes the original
    thanks lads

7. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All you can do is hope that some hacker manages to get into the firmware and releases a hacked version (which is always risky to use anyway). Also, good point made by kenfowler3966, if the HDD does use significantly more power you could end up causing damage to the power supply within the machine (this is why most new PC's have 300+watt power supplies, it mainly to deal with the extra drain from higher processor speeds and larger HDD capacities.