E85 v RD-XS32

In a nutshell the E85 has better PQ (Including upto 3hrs in full resolution onto a DVD-R) on recorded content and is much easier to use. In the Toshiba's favour it has more DVD authoring options (more menu background, layout options), iLink (only useful if you have a digital camcorder) and DVD-RW support.

The latter is the core thing that may want to effect your purchase. If you intend to record frequently on your Toshiba and playback on another DVD player then DVD-RW support is beneficial. Otherwise you'll find whichever machine you'll get you will mostly use DVD-R due to it's much higher compatibility.

I also have the dilemma of the E85 or the RDXS32. A few days ago I was set on the Toshiba but a few threads have popped up with people reporting problems - rf interference, media problems, HDD problems. The E85 seems to have dropped in price as well to below that of the XS32.

I'm after a machine that I can record regualrly to the HDD and backup occasionally to a DVD - I think that'll probably be DVD-R so that it can be played on other machines(?) so formats aren't important. Basically I'll just need to edit out the adverts.

I don't think I need DV-in as I currently edit my video footage on my PC.

Overall then, without needing anything too fancy (as per the original poster) am I best going for the E85 which does seem to do everything I need and appears from many posts to be more user friendly?

Thanks in advance for any comments. Apologies if I've muscled in on Pete M's thread but I think we're after the same thing.

Please help :lease:

on the e85 can you burn a dvd whilst recording to the hd? also can you high speed record to dvdr from edited content on the hd?

on the e85 can you burn a dvd whilst recording to the hd?
No - all the HDD/DVDR combi machines available only have the ability to record to either the HDD or a DVDR at any one time.

also can you high speed record to dvdr from edited content on the hd?
Yes - provided you have set the DVD-R High Speed flag prior to recording (it's a menu option). In short then the answer is yes - but read the manual before you make your first recording that you just HAVE to high speed dub to DVD-R :)

Rasczak

In the Manual of my E95 it says you can high speed dub to DVD at the same time as recording to HD is that not the same?

In the Manual of my E95 it says you can high speed dub to DVD at the same time as recording to HD is that not the same?
Hmmm. Maybe I'm wrong then. I'll check it out in the morning!

I too had the same dilemma between the Panasonic and the Toshiba. I bought the Panasonic a couple of days ago and dont regret it for a second, it looks fab and does everything I need (the link of iLink was not a major issue as I too also edit camcorder direct via PC). Its got my recommendation.

I bought an E85 over Xmas to replace a Sony rdr-gx7. The E85 was such an improvment over the gx7 that it was laughable. The PQ was so much better with the E85 and how I ever lived without a HDD I'll never know. Never seen the Tosh so can't comment. I would obviously recomend the E85.

Peter M

Just to add my 2p worth. I was facing this dilemma 6 months ago. Both machines have their own strength and weakness, You might be better write down a list of features are of importance to you and see which machine scores more ticks… that was what I did at the time. I ended up with the Tosh because it supports both RAM and –RW. To me, the only real draw back on the Tosh was that it dose not record NTSC.

To muddle up the water even more, I have recently add the pany to my collection thinking that I can now transfer some NTSC tapes ( home made tapes from US / HK ) and disappointedly found out that the pany actually required pure NTSC and do not do PAL60/false NTSC. Looked like I'll have to trade it in for a Pioneer instead.

HTP
Tan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom