E85 tuner - it can only find one channel!

O

okcomputer331

I bought a panny E85 a week ago and everything was grand until now.
I'm recording from SKY + so I didn't use the analogue tuner that much.

I live in ireland so i don;t have ITV & C4 on my Sky box , the only way I can get ITV is through my NTL analogue field via the RF cable. I plugged this into the RF in and the black RF cable into the RF out and connected to my TV, all the usual way.

I did autoset up on the first day but didn't pay any attention to the fact that the only channel the unit found was E4 (found as channel 21)!!!!!!!!

I reran autoset up with the same result. E4 is the only one it can find! my telly has all the channels on its programme buttons (there is about 15 analogue channels on the NTL RF feed)

I try manual tune but all I can find is E4 on channel 21 and no other channels. Every programme on the unit gets E4 (1-99) Also the channel numbers are 21 to 68, that the unit is finding with 22-68 completely blank.

I entered a different RF feed via a set top arial and I can find 2 of the 4 available via this field TnaG Ireland (channel 59) and TV3 Ireland (Ch62) with all the other channels blank! what am I doing wrong , why can I only a couple of analogue channels and how do I fix this????????????? :mad: how do i manually input frequencies and change from UHF to VHF bands etc etc etc. not impressed

my telly doesn't have Q link

could this be due to the fact maybe that i bought the unit from Amazon uk and the tuner is a bit fecked if used in ireland??

could be check specs on an ie site i know Irish TV's have longer tuning range than UK ones and can get a large number of UK cable channels (illegally) seems you get the opposite (but can record E4........)
try contacting BOSCO a member in ireland with a german E85...........

thanks horny dragon, i have also emailed panasonic to see what they say. i reckon i;m pretty unlucky that E4 was the only one i could pickup!!

Any use?

You can add ALL the ITV1 Regions to your Sky Digibox. On your Sky Remote Control, Press SERVICES, Select SYSTEM SETUP then ADD CHANNELS.
The three frequencies are :
10.832H for Carlton/LWT, Carlton Central, HTV Wales, HTV West and Carlton West country.
10.891H for Anglia, Border, Granada, Meridian, Tyne Tees and Yorkshire.
10.906V for Channel Television, Grampian, Scottish and UTV (Ulster Television)
Symbol Rate = 22.0 and FEC = 5/6.
Add the channels as prompted by Sky Guide.
To view the channels, go to SERVICES and select OTHER CHANNELS.

I had EXACTLY this problem at Christmas when I bought an E55 for my brother in law who lives in Dublin. He could only get a small subset of the Irish channels. The reason being that the DMRE55-BS (think it is) only has a UHF tuner that can receive UHF channels 21..69. This is fine in the UK cos all TV here is within the UHF band.

This is NOT fine in Ireland where they still use VHF transmissions for a lot of the channels (there's a very slow changeover process taking place slowly moving all channels to UHF but I think only one transmitter near Dublin has ALL channels on UHF).

This is not just used for terrestrial transmissions either - a lot of the Irish cable suppliers modulate the channels onto VHF rather than UHF carriers too (I know my mother-in-law's one does for example and I guess your NTL one does too)

The bottom line is that you are stuffed! You need the Ireland specific model (maybe suffix IS rather than BS??) that has the extra electronics of a VHF tuner in it.

In my case this involved giving my brother-in-law the money to go and buy an Ireland specific one (at a HUGELY inflated price!) from Dixons in Ireland (the idea of "low price"/"internet competition" pricing hasn't arrived in the Republic yet!)

Meanwhile I got to keep the one I'd bought for myself :) - I paid something like £170 in the UK (about €240) while the Irish model cost €350 (and that was a "January sale price!! - it was €399 a week before)

It might be possible to get a box that is effectively a VHF tuner and use this. Or perhaps even pick up a very cheap Irish VHS recorder that includes a VHF tuner and then play its composite output into the low-spec SCART input on the DVD-R (cos the VHF signal is going to be pretty crap anyway)

Cliff

I think you will find Panasonic only make a version E55 for the Irish market with an VHF / UHF tuner, there is no Irish version of the E85. A German version of either would tune in but would give no sound. You could use a VHF to UHF upconvertor if you can get one.

clawson said:
In my case this involved giving my brother-in-law the money to go and buy an Ireland specific one (at a HUGELY inflated price!) from Dixons in Ireland (the idea of "low price"/"internet competition" pricing hasn't arrived in the Republic yet!)

this is very true. we are very backward when it comes to online stores in that we don't have any!!! :blush:
Dixons can charge what they like and usually do

clawson said:
It might be possible to get a box that is effectively a VHF tuner and use this. Or perhaps even pick up a very cheap Irish VHS recorder that includes a VHF tuner and then play its composite output into the low-spec SCART input on the DVD-R (cos the VHF signal is going to be pretty crap anyway)

yeah i thought of this after i calmed down, I have connected my VCR and I have come up with a genious way of doing timer recordings, set the videoplus on VCR with a VHS tape* in it AND set the videoplus on the panny with the panny recording the VCR's output. :)

*the tape is just a decoy to ensure the VCR is on the correct channel at the time

Either way 95% or recordings are made to my SKY+ so I'm not too bothered, its just the odd ITV and C4 programme that i need to use the VHF tuner

Fred Smith said:
You could use a VHF to UHF upconvertor if you can get one.

oooh what is this? will it let me tune VHF channels onto the analogue tuner of the panny?

okcomputer331 said:
oooh what is this? will it let me tune VHF channels onto the analogue tuner of the panny?

Yes that's exactly what it would do i.e. shift the VHF signals into the UHF band. But they seen to be as rare as hens teeth, nowadays.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom