1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E85 Surprise

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DennyL, Jan 22, 2005.

1. DennyL

DennyL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a Panasonic E85 a couple of weeks ago, and I'm still *far* from having it installed satisfactorily in my system. So are I've tried two completely different ways of connecting it all up, but there are still problems. Last night I drew a connection diagram and just sat staring at it wondering what to do next. The first problem I ran into was that when the E85 is switched on its output went to my Freeview box and out of the Freeview box's outputs, so I couldn't watch or listen to Freeview when the E85 was on for any reason, such as dubbing HDD to DVD. To fix that I bought a SCART switch to be able to isolate the E85 when I need to. The SCART switch has Copy buttons, such as AV1>AV2, but when I press one of these, for instance to copy from Freeview to HDD, nothing happens, no input goes into the E85. I still haven't figured that one out.

Anyway that's background. I'm posting this because another bizarre problem I've run into. You can use the E85 as a DVD player when it is on timer standbye to do a recording to HDD. I was watching a DVD the other evening, and had the E85 set to record a film from BBC4. I have a phono feed from the E85 to my amplifier.

Imagine my surprise when the the timer started the recording and the soundtrack of the film on BBC4 started coming out of my speakers mixed with the soundtrack of the DVD I was watching, but at a relatively much higher level, making my speakers almost fall of their stands and nearly giving me a heart-attack.

I've already come to the conclusion that SCARTs are a nightmare, what with not knowing exactly what they do, worrying about cutting the cable on pins 8 and 19, etc, etc. and I was wondering whether it would be possible to connect all my stuff together avoiding the SCARTs entirely. So for me the bad news is that on the E85 the phonos are a nightmare to!

2. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Your E85 should not be going into the Freeview box and then out to TV. It should be the other way around.

Scarts are by far the best way to connect as they provide RGB. Phonos and RF connections are very poor in comparison, unless the phonos are being used to connect to Component.

You should connect like this;

Freeview TV out to E85 AV2
    E85 AV1 to TV AV1
    Set Freeview, E85 AV1 and AV2 to RGB. AV2 connection - Normal.
    RF into Freeview, then onto E85 and then to TV.

If your Freeview box has two scarts, connect another scart from Freeview VCR socket to TV AV2 ( if your TV has two scarts )

You then watch Freeview on AV1 when your E85 is off as the picture will pass through the E85. If your E85 is on you can still watch a Freeview channel if you select AV2 as your input channel on the E85.

Record a Freeview channel by using AV2 as the input on the E85.
    If you are recording channels 1-5, then you can still watch another channel on your Freeview box by using AV2 on your TV.

3. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regard connecting to your hi-fi amp

go from your "TV" phonos > hifi phonos (dont use recorder connections)

this way - you always get soundtrack from whatever is on the TV