E85 setup help please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by maxhome, Oct 6, 2004.

1. maxhome

maxhome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problems now partly fixed. Reminder to self: plug things in properly, you fool! Channel problems remain - see below. Thanks. Paul

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    You may already have done this but the Freeview "TV" scart should be set to RGB and connected to E85 AV2 also set to RGB input.

I'm not sure if you meant you are getting some but not all Freeview channels when you select AV2 on E85? If so it sounds like an aerial problem.

3. maxhome

maxhome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I am still trying to work this out, but I seem to be having problems if I set the E85 AV2 input to RGB - a black screen on the E85's AV2, despite me setting the TV Scart on the Digibox to RGB too.

I am getting an odd set of tuned channels on the E85. I get BBC 1&2, ITV1 and C4, but C5 is a mess, and I get none of the other channels via the E85, though I receive 'em all via the Digibox, no problem. I've gradually been resolving the pig's ear I've made of this, so suspect I have once again made an amateur mistake, but any other ideas would be good. Is the aerial problem you mention likely, when I'm receiving things ok via the Digibox?

Thanks again.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    A black screen when the E85 is set to RGB means that the input source is only composite. Ensure you avoid pressing any of the TV buttons on your Sky handset as this reverts the Freeview unit back to composite. Reset the menu and double check you have connected the TV OUT to the E85 (the VCR socket does not output RGB).

You are aware that the E85 doesn't have a digital tuner (no DVD recorders current do - the first will be the Sony GXD500 next month) and so all you will get is BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, C4 and C5. You will see your Digibox channels on 'channel' AV2 once you have resolved the RGB issue above.

5. maxhome

maxhome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I had not twigged that the E85 was only going to give me the basic terrestial channels, but that explains a lot. Am not sure, though, why it is that the E85's Ch5 is unwatchably bad, when in any other mode I can see it fine - and similarly, BBC1/2, ITV1, C4 all look grainy via the E85, though not via my digibox. Do I just need to play with retuning the E85?

As to the RGB point, I am puzzled. I don't have a Sky box, it's a Pioneer DBR-TF100GB and it's otherwise fine, but I have checked, and my TV out there is off to the E85's AV2, and both the Pioneer's TVout, and the Panny's AV2, are set to RGB, and I get black screen. If I change the Panny to Video, all is well. I suspect I am making a mistake somewhere. And in the end, I have a solution, not a problem, so I'm not losing much sleep - I'd just be interested to know where I'm going wrong.

Ta, again. Paul.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Your digibox is receiving an entirely different signal. With Digital TV you either receive the picture or you don't - and further more it is output in Video/S-Video/RGB (all of which are better than RF!). Given a reasonable reception Digital TV offers sharp pictures without ghosting or interference that frequently plagues analogue signals. The digital improvement is particularly noticeable on Channel 5. Accordingly, when recording, you should try to use your Digibox as source as opposed to the internal tuner.

Do you have anything else connected to the Digibox that could be causing it? A VCR perhaps that is looping through the set-top? Or does you TV need to be set to RGB - or is it actually compatible with RGB (almost all are)?

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You may have to change the rf frequency of the recorder as it could be clashing with the channel 5 frequency. Don't forget that all vcr's also have to be retuned as they are on the chanel 5 frequenct by default when new.

To change the recorder rf output frequenct hold the function button on the remote for 5 seconds to get the change menu.