E85 S-Video problem

Q

QED

Hi guys,
I am having trouble connecting my laptop to my E85 through S-Video. I get a black & white fuzzy picture. I can connect my laptop fine to my TV through S-Video and the picture is in glorious technicolour however not when I connect through my E85!
I have tried through both AV3 (front) and AV4 (rear) and it's the same story.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

QED

(I connect my E85 to my TV through RGB scart)

QED said:
Hi guys,
I am having trouble connecting my laptop to my E85 through S-Video. I get a black & white fuzzy picture. I can connect my laptop fine to my TV through S-Video and the picture is in glorious technicolour however not when I connect through my E85!
I have tried through both AV3 (front) and AV4 (rear) and it's the same story.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

QED

(I connect my E85 to my TV through RGB scart)
I don't have an E85 but in general video modes work like this (they do on the Pioneer x20s):

In power-on mode the E85 should always send s-video from its dedicated s-video out (the four pin mini-din); I assume that is AV4. This output is usually only operative when the machine is turned on.

In standby I wouldn't expect anything from the mini-din s-video out, but it is just possible the E85 will pass through an s-video signal if it is fed one. But it can only pass through what it gets. So if you are feeding RGB in there will be no s-video out. The internal conversion circuits have to be operative to do this and they will be inactive in standby.

When you say 'through your E85' do you expect to see the TV picture passing through it? If so - no go I'm afraid. RGB scarts are one way.

The front AV is usually input only.

I'm not talking about RGB passthrough, all I am talking about is that I cant record AVI files from my laptop to the E85 through SVideo as the picture quality is black & white and fuzzy.

However direct SVideo connection to my TV from the laptop is perfect.

(Passthrough in the case that when I'm recording the SVideo signal from the laptop on the E85, the picture on the TV of what i'm recording is b&w)

QED said:
I'm not talking about RGB passthrough, all I am talking about is that I cant record AVI files from my laptop to the E85 through SVideo as the picture quality is black & white and fuzzy.

However direct SVideo connection to my TV from the laptop is perfect.

(Passthrough in the case that when I'm recording the SVideo signal from the laptop on the E85, the picture on the TV of what i'm recording is b&w)
I got the direction wrong. Sorry!
The E85 front s-video mini-din socket is the one to use.
I don't know how your PC works, but it sounds as if you are getting a composite signal along the s-video line.
Is there a setting on the PC to specify s-video or composite output? Some PCs with a video out have an s-video socket with a conversion lead to composite and a PC setting to send composite if that is what the user wants.

This wouldn't explain the TV of course.

eddyad - you got me thinking (that doesn't happen very often) :rolleyes:

I delved down into the display menus of my laptop and deep down in there I noticed that the S-Video signal was being sent out as NTSC instead of PAL. I changed it and hey-presto - working like a dream.
Thanks for kicking my brain into gear!.

:lesson: E-85 owners - All S-Video inputs require a PAL signal if it's a UK E-85

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom