E85 query (Video formats)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dollarbeg, Jul 16, 2005.

1. dollarbeg

dollarbeg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic E85. I have finally got everything (VCR, TV, Sky) working together (don't ask!) and I'm really pleased with it.

My query is, I'm a bit confused with video formats. I am using a new computer system, with XP and therefore have Windows Moviemaker. I also have Pinnacle 9. I tried both with a short film, recording to both CD-R and DVD-R but neither disk was recognised by the recorder.

What settings should I be using to make this possible, or will I have to record the finished film to the DV tape and then transfer this to the recorder?

Regards and thanks in advance

Pat Macguire

PS I have Nero 6.

2. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    You need to make a DVD video, rather than just putting video onto a DVD.

I know, I know - it's a tricky concept to get your head around. The DVD video specification defines not just what format the video should be in (MPEG2) but how the disk is structured. Adding video files to a data DVD, even if they're in MPEG2 format, won't make a 'proper' video DVD.

I don't think that Windows Movie Maker can do it - as far as I'm aware it only outputs video in Windows Media Video format, which is not MPEG2.

Pinnacle 9 should be able to do it if you have the full DVD-capable version. I've never used the software but if you search the help for "DVD video" it should tell you what to do.

Hope that makes sense - it's difficult to explain.

Regards