E85 - Chapters - Dust - fan

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Baj, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Baj

Baj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic E85 - awesome machine - horrendous manual.

Two queries:
    1. Contrary to what is written on page 30 of the manual (L.H. column, two thirds of the way down the page), Finalising after an high speed transfer to DVD-R does not divide a title into 5-minute chapters.

2.Fan cooled instruments are readily filled with dust. Does this cause problems?

2. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    From the E100 Manual:

"Programmes directly recorded on DVD-R, or programmes dubbed for 5 minutes or more in the mode except High Speed mode are divided as “Chapter” per about 5 minutes."

So this manual at least suggests that anything OTHER than high speed mode does this.

I must admit I hadnt read that bit - must have a look at some of the DVDs I have written to see if it is true...

Dont have my E85 manual to hand, but I would expect it to say the same.

Lastly, the dust isnt a problem at this stage, but after a while like PC components it can build up and need a blast of air. The bearings will also eventually go and the fan will need replacing at some point, but I think it is a quite standard fan and can be user replace if warranty is not an issue.

3. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know what it says in the manual, but like apreading said, the 5-minute chapters are only inserted for NON High Speed Transfers. One of the added benefits of High Speed Transfer is that you can insert your own chapter points before dubbing.

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It would be very unlucky for the fan to fail before other more costly components in the recorder, unless it was faulty when fitted. I had some fans running for nearly 7 years continuosly to cool my av equipment in a glass fronted cabinet under the tv and they were still fine when I scrapped the cabinet. It is much more likely that the hdd or capacitors in the power supply will fail first.