E85 & buffer

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by joolze, Jul 26, 2004.

1. joolze

joolze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am interested in the Panasonic E85 but I would like to check something before I commit myself.

Does it automatically store the live feed, so that you can pause live tv (as the new Philips HDRw720 will do) ?

If I have a baby screaming, I don't always have the time to locate the remote and press record. In an ideal world, the unit will have known what I was watching and already have stored it for me, so I can just rewind and watch from when the screaming started.

Can the Panny do this? If not, do any other models?

TIA

Joolze

2. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it does not and neither do most machines. Until I read your post, I did not know of any machines other than the JVC HMHDS1 and HMHDS4 that did this. Both of these machines can automatically "record" up to the last three hours of the channel they are tuned to. The "buffer" can be set from 30 minutes to 3 hours. The buffer is a "ring" buffer and on the HMHDS4 you can "rewind" to any point and start recording from that point. I have missed this feature on the Panasonic, Pioneer and Toshiba. Please note that the JVC models mentioned are HDD/SVHS combos - not DVD! It will be interesting to see if the new JVC's do this or not.

3. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I guess the only way you could do it with the E85 is press Record when you start viewing, with your box set to AV2 for the digital feed. I do that when watching something I don't want to miss (eg the excellent Long Firm), then I press Create Chapter if I get disturbed and use the Timeslip feature when I come back to the programme, skipping to the created chapter as necessary. Of course I have to remember to stop the recording when I've finished my viewing and delete the recording (unless I intend to archive, in which case I edit out the surplus bits). A little bit manual but no great hardship.

4. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I guess the only way you could do it with the E85 is press Record when you start viewing, with your box set to AV2 for the digital feed. I do that when watching something I don't want to miss (eg the excellent Long Firm), then I press Create Chapter if I get disturbed and use the Timeslip feature when I come back to the programme, skipping to the created chapter as necessary. Of course I have to remember to stop the recording when I've finished my viewing and delete the recording (unless I intend to archive, in which case I edit out the surplus bits). A little bit manual but no great hardship.

5. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new JVC recorders (DR-MH20 / 30) do indeed have this feature - it is called 'Live Memory', and means that the recorder always records the current channel.

From the manual: "This unit automatically records the channel being received, within
    the specified range of time, to the reserved space on the hard disc.
    The time range can be set for 30 minutes, 1 hour, and 3 hours"

And regarding kids: On these models it is possible to lock the disc tray to prevent them from opening it and breaking it / inserting 'stuff' ...:)

6. joolze

joolze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the help - it gives me something to ponder over.

Cheers

Joolze

7. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

The new Philips 720 model has this feature, although you do have to have the unit switched on and have it tuned to the correct chanel, so you might as well have any other DVD recorder and do it yourself. As the Philips 720 lacks some features that are pretty important and stupid not to have (lacks re-encoding back to DVD), it probably isn't worth considering just for that function.

Regards

Philip