Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

E85 and copying an NTSC video tape

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jem, Jul 23, 2004.

1. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My son is just back from Canada and has a tape recorded for him by a local TV station that did a report on his scout expedition. I am assuming that the tape is NTSC.

It plays fine on our VCR in what I am assuming is PAL 60. We would like to make a copy for relatives and have hooked it up to the E85. First we got a black & white recording but after a bit of changing settings we got colour. However we're getting a split type recording i.e. about a fifth of the top of the picture seems to appear at the bottom in two halves.

Having read further I'm assuming that it's not a pure NTSC signal from the VCR and perhaps that's why we're getting this strange recording?

Can anyone offer any help?

2. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    There is another post about DVD recorders recording NTSC which has some useful info for you.

Basically ALMOST ALL VCRs which play NTSC discs will output PAL60. The difference between NTSC and PAL as far as I can tell is the number of lines on the screen and the frequency. True PAL is 50Mhz but PAL60 is the correct number of lines but at 60Mhz. Someone will probably tell me I have this wrong in some way, but basically PAL60 is neither PAL not NTSC which is why even on a DVD which records both, it will not record PAL60.

You need either a VCR which can output TRUE NTSC or you can get convertors which will convert NTSC to TRUE PAL 50.

Neither is probably ideal for you but you might be able to take it to one of these places which converts cine film etc to video and they can do alot of stuff which might work for you. Obviously they will only do this if there is no copyright on the tape!

3. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for your reply. I've had a look at the other thread too.

It's not copyright but as it's only a few minutes long, I don't know if it's worth taking it somewhere to be converted. We can get a recording of about four fifths of it so it is watchable.

We'll keep trying.