1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E85/95 - Why no co-axial ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by muzza1uk, Jul 12, 2004.

1. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As you may know I'm torn between two brands the Panny E-85/95 or the Tosh RX-32/33, my question to the forum is why the Pannys don't have an electrical sound output ? I doubt if i could tell the different between this and optical but these things can be expensive and I use one currently between my Sony 7700 and Amp. Sad to say but it could be the clincher in this very tight race between two equally matched machines.

Muzza1

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    Panasonic generally don't fit coax to any of their products and this does further increase the pressure on optical connections (Sky+, PS2, XBox et al). They are still great machines however (even my "neolithic" HS2 does more than I really need it to). So I'm simply looking at AVR's that have the neccessary number of Optical connectors.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have you looked at the Pioneer 520? That has co-ax and optical sound out. I assume the 720 would be the same.
    Are you sure about the Panny? The Avland site clearly shows RCA coax sound out and Panasonic's website seems to show it:
    Output - Audio out AV1/AV2 (21 pin), Audio out (pin jack)

4. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Eddyad, what Avland show it the right connection (co-axial)but if you look underneath it shows zero in both Input and Output columns. The Panny website refers to the analogue audio out, what I require is Digital out for my amp and that's only via optical Toshlink. Still giving it thought but continue to be swayed toward the Tosh.

Muzza1 :thumbsup:

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OK - I didn't realise you were looking for digital co-ax. I had assumed that digital sound was always optical - I didn't know there was an RCA co-ax version. So now there's another connector to worry about :confused: They'll run out of colours soon.

6. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    To be honest Eddyad I'm no expert all I know is I don't use a Optical Toshlink for the DVD, I have one connected to my PS2 but would rather use what I have for any new player.

Muzza1 :)

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  8. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if it can be an option to you (just because you may not want to add another very small device), but there are boxes to convert "coaxial <-> optical" digital connections.

These boxes should cost something around 50 to 60 EURO (reference price here in Portugal, please note that the prices here may be substantially different from yours in UK), and that would re-open the options that you have eliminated so far.

If that is not "good" to you, then, sorry, but I can't help more.

Best regards,

9. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your suggestion Benfica but it not that I need Co-axial connection it's more because I don't want to purchase an additional toshlink cable. I'm a cheap bugger you know!!

Muzza1 :smashin:

10. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is Toslink without the "h" !