1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E65 gone back, what now?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Techno, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a Panny E65 but it doesn't 'do what it says on the tin' so I would appreciate any advice on a cheap recorder..... please let me explain!

Reasons for having a DVD recroder are
    a) Very occasional archive from SKY+
    b) Home movies to DVD without the ball ache of the PC

I chose the E65 because it would obviously handle "a" and it had i-link which looked a sweet solution for "b" - having an SD card reader made it irresistable.

Problem is that you can only use i-link and copy SD card using DVD-RAM disks which cost mega money compared to DVD-R, media which it will happlily copy SKY+ to.

Not having the use of i-Link means I may as well have the Panny E55 for £100 less. But that then got me thinking that I didn't like the Panny that much full stop, it wouldn't play some of the disks my Yamaha DVD player had no trouble with so it wouldn't be a direct replacement so why not just have a cheap and cheerfull one for the little use it will get.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    What about the tosh rdxs32? Ideal for camcorders. havent tested it but I believe it auto chapters on scene change making editing a breeze

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    There are no other models with SD card slots with the exception of the new Samsungs - but if you didn't like the Panny you won't like them as they are based on that design and you still have to record to DVD-RAM as the DVD-Video specification does not that.

Why not try the Pioneer 320 this has iLink in/out (as opposed to just iLink in on the Panasonic). It also has timeslip and DVD-R recording like the Panasonic but no progressive scan, component or DVD-Audio.

4. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I go and do some digging on that, thanks.

5. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    TBH the SD card slot was a bonus - I'm not bothered about having one really.

I'll have a look at the 320 though, does it iLink to DVD-R do you know? As i said the Panny will only iLink to DVDRAM

Thanks for your post.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Just for reference the Panasonic does do iLink to DVD-R - you just can't use the 'DV Auto Rec' option: you need to set DV on the input selection and record that way. Still you've passed on the Panasonic and if you weren't happy with it generally then it's not a great loss. To answer your question though: yes the Pioneer will also allow you to do iLink to DVD-R.

The Toshiba RDXS32, which nunew33 suggests, is indeed an excellent machine and you may well want to seriously consider spending just a few pounds more to get the extra functionality. Highly recommended - have a read of the Review Thread to decide if it's for you.

Always happy to help.