Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

E65 gone back, what now?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Techno, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a Panny E65 but it doesn't 'do what it says on the tin' so I would appreciate any advice on a cheap recorder..... please let me explain!

Reasons for having a DVD recroder are
    a) Very occasional archive from SKY+
    b) Home movies to DVD without the ball ache of the PC

I chose the E65 because it would obviously handle "a" and it had i-link which looked a sweet solution for "b" - having an SD card reader made it irresistable.

Problem is that you can only use i-link and copy SD card using DVD-RAM disks which cost mega money compared to DVD-R, media which it will happlily copy SKY+ to.

Not having the use of i-Link means I may as well have the Panny E55 for £100 less. But that then got me thinking that I didn't like the Panny that much full stop, it wouldn't play some of the disks my Yamaha DVD player had no trouble with so it wouldn't be a direct replacement so why not just have a cheap and cheerfull one for the little use it will get.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    What about the tosh rdxs32? Ideal for camcorders. havent tested it but I believe it auto chapters on scene change making editing a breeze

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    There are no other models with SD card slots with the exception of the new Samsungs - but if you didn't like the Panny you won't like them as they are based on that design and you still have to record to DVD-RAM as the DVD-Video specification does not that.

Why not try the Pioneer 320 this has iLink in/out (as opposed to just iLink in on the Panasonic). It also has timeslip and DVD-R recording like the Panasonic but no progressive scan, component or DVD-Audio.

4. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I go and do some digging on that, thanks.

5. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    TBH the SD card slot was a bonus - I'm not bothered about having one really.

I'll have a look at the 320 though, does it iLink to DVD-R do you know? As i said the Panny will only iLink to DVDRAM

Thanks for your post.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Just for reference the Panasonic does do iLink to DVD-R - you just can't use the 'DV Auto Rec' option: you need to set DV on the input selection and record that way. Still you've passed on the Panasonic and if you weren't happy with it generally then it's not a great loss. To answer your question though: yes the Pioneer will also allow you to do iLink to DVD-R.

The Toshiba RDXS32, which nunew33 suggests, is indeed an excellent machine and you may well want to seriously consider spending just a few pounds more to get the extra functionality. Highly recommended - have a read of the Review Thread to decide if it's for you.

Always happy to help.