E6 stuttering picture

moyley

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, have had my E6 series oled for around 3 weeks now - all seemed well but did notice a slight stutter on my picture during Wimbledon. A new update went in recently and now the stuttering picture is almost constant but only on sky or freesat. Have contacted LG who are unaware of any issues. Contacted my retailer who came out to see tv and have advised waiting for a further update ( not convinced ). Also contacted sky who tried to sell me skyQ. Am I the only one or anyone else out there have this issue - driving me mad!!. I did read that putting sky box setting to 720 helps and it has just about solved the problem - picture sometimes thinks about it. It bothers me that I saved like crazy to afford this tv and I'm sat in front of a £2000 set and have to reduce picture clarity down.
Any of you guys help me?..

Hi, have had my E6 series oled for around 3 weeks now - all seemed well but did notice a slight stutter on my picture during Wimbledon. A new update went in recently and now the stuttering picture is almost constant but only on sky or freesat. Have contacted LG who are unaware of any issues. Contacted my retailer who came out to see tv and have advised waiting for a further update ( not convinced ). Also contacted sky who tried to sell me skyQ. Am I the only one or anyone else out there have this issue - driving me mad!!. I did read that putting sky box setting to 720 helps and it has just about solved the problem - picture sometimes thinks about it. It bothers me that I saved like crazy to afford this tv and I'm sat in front of a £2000 set and have to reduce picture clarity down.
Any of you guys help me?..

What firmware are you on ?.

Sounds like you're suffering from issues introduced by a recent firmware update that was quickly pulled by LG.

A new update is due soon which is meant to fix the problem.

Take a look on the E6 owners thread.

There's also another thread specifically about this issue.

Question - Has new firmware 05.30.02 (LG) caused juddering (Sky)?

Thank you, have been through a lot of the posts you mentioned and its a relief that I'm not the only one and I'm not going mad by the lack of info from the big companies!. My firmware is 05.30.02!
Still a sad state of affairs and just my luck!..

Thank you, have been through a lot of the posts you mentioned and its a relief that I'm not the only one and I'm not going mad by the lack of info from the big companies!. My firmware is 05.30.02!

Yeah, 05.30.02 is the recent firmware that's causing issues. LG know about it & will have a fix for it soon apparently.

Many people said that it installed automatically when they turned on their tv's so I think it's best to turn off automatic updates in the appropriate menu.

Thankfully, I'm still on 04.31.05 which I installed via USB, so I'm not suffering from the issues you mention.

Will wait for fix - fingers crossed it will work. After which I will seriously think of turning updates off. Glad I put post up as I was about to return tv for a refund which would have been a shame as its a cracking tv and finding another that is 3D is near impossible these days.
Thanks again for posting a reply and advice on updates.

How on Earth can LG state that they are unaware of the issue when they have previously acknowledged in writing to another user that they are working on a solution. When will technology companies' support departments stop initially responding that a reported problem is due to third party equipment/user error/something that has never been mentioned before. These companies are charging users a premium fee for their products. Why not not provide customers we a premium level of support rather than trying to almost always pass the buck. I like to think of myself as technology savvy and have experienced this attitude with LG, Sony and even Apple. It has been largely down to my own technical knowledge that I have been able to successfully report and solve an issue whereas a less experienced user would have accepted the standard response and not achieved any resolution to their issue.

Will wait for fix - fingers crossed it will work. After which I will seriously think of turning updates off. Glad I put post up as I was about to return tv for a refund which would have been a shame as its a cracking tv and finding another that is 3D is near impossible these days.
Thanks again for posting a reply and advice on updates.
In the meantime, shove your sky box on 720p. Or if you have an amplifier which does videoprocessing, see it can covert the 1080i sky signal to 1080p. The new firmware causes this issue with any interlaced feed.

I'm on 04.30.65 and have automatic updates allowed. If I check for updates it says there are none.
Is that odd ?

I'm on 04.30.65 and have automatic updates allowed. If I check for updates it says there are none.
Is that odd ?
No, because it's believed that LG pulled the firmware when they realised it was causing issues.

No, because it's believed that LG pulled the firmware when they realised it was causing issues.

Looking at the LG website it seems 04.30.65 which I'm currently on is from Nov 2016 and 04.31.05 is much more recent so shouldn't it have updated automatically ?

LG are a bit erratic with the over the air updates. Not sure why some require a USB installation whereas others can be downloaded straight to the tv. The 5xxx firmwares should be avoided for the time being anyway as they break things (interlaced picture processing and HDR game mode)

Looking at the LG website it seems 04.30.65 which I'm currently on is from Nov 2016 and 04.31.05 is much more recent so shouldn't it have updated automatically ?

For some strange reason that particular update never became available 'over the air' so has to be installed via USB.

It's adds HDR Game mode so that's the main reason I decided to install it.

You're not alone young man! I'm down under and I've got a C6 & get the same FW updates as the E6. FW 05.30.02 has ruined my world totally! The 1080i Interlace stutter from it's own internal tuner is nothing short of ridiculous. My research suggests the Interlace issue seems to be only affecting PAL 25 fps 50hz countries as my US friends are not experiencing this stutter (judder, frame dropping... whatever you wanna call it) after this FW update. I stand corrected though should any evidence materialise elsewhere. LG down here are clueless of coarse...

For some strange reason that particular update never became available 'over the air' so has to be installed via USB.

It's adds HDR Game mode so that's the main reason I decided to install it.

Ok Thanks. Sounds like an update I can happily ignore.

Finding the whole thing absolutely crazy. I did my research, found a model that ticked all the boxes for my requirements, saved like mad, managed to justify paying nearly £2000 for it to the wife and now I find myself screwed by the very makers of the tv!. As mentioned, all the people I have called for help with this either really haven't got a clue about this fault or play dumb. If it wasn't for this site and replies to this thread I would still be in the dark and most probably returned this tv. Joke!.
Great to hear I'm not alone ( not that I wish this on other people ). thanks for all the replies, lets hope this gets sorted soon..

O.K guys, just had a meltdown on the phone to LG who once again denied any problems, in fact couldn't work out how I had this firmware on my tv!. The advice I was given was to return my set to retailer for refund as it was nothing to do with the update. I explained that I did not have any problems until the update went in and it didn't take a genius to work out it that it had to be the update because it was a constant problem after, I was still told there is no fix or update in the near future. After nearly 20 mins of "discussion" he spoke to a supervisor who told him that there WAS a problem and a fix would be in the next couple of days. He was very sorry but this had been rolled out on his day off and he was unaware of any these issues.
Once again, fingers crossed!..

Well, there was an update a few weeks ago now and although much improved I'm still getting a juddering stuttering picture. Anyone else out there have the same problem or know of another update before I ring LG again?..

I had a Hitachi (genuine Japanese, not the budget Argos rebadge) plasma and went to LG OLED.
In both firmwares 4 and now 5, I do notice random stutters / blur on MOTD which didn't exist on my plasma.
Maybe they'll release another update...

Well, there was an update a few weeks ago now and although much improved I'm still getting a juddering stuttering picture. Anyone else out there have the same problem or know of another update before I ring LG again?..

I have had my C6 for 15 months and at no point has it ever been glitch free with Sky HD 1080i content. I've noticed it on football and motorsports coverage but it is so random and minor that I've just learned to live with it!

Never installed the broken firmware that made it really bad, apparently. Whilst the newer firmware corrects that, it doesn't fully get rid of it. Just back to the original level.

Whether it is just LG's processing or the Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Loewe etc OLEDs also suffer from it, I don't know.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom