E6 OLED and SKY Q

KevinRoy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

just wondering if I have done something wrong here, I have SKY Q hooked up to my 65" E6 OLED, now i only found this by mistake.

I have SKY Q set to 2160 UHD, 10 Bit and enabled the deep colour option to allow the 10bit.

I flipped from BBC HD on SKY Q to BBC HD on freeview HD and the freeview picture was so much better than the SKY Q image it was frighting.

So I did a little digging and noticed all the SKY Q channels looked soft and washed out. the UHD stuff was good but not outstanding as Amazon or Netflix are on this set even youtube was miles better quality.

So I switched my SKY Q to 1080P and volia the picture quality improved no end like night and day from fuzzy soft tones to vibrant clean definition.

It looked miles better.

Is this an issue with SKY or my TV with some setting or other. All i did to make this massive improvement in picture quality was flip from UHD on SKY Q to 1080P HD doesnt make sense. I am currently thinking of binning SKY Q off completely and just using netflix/amazon instead as the UHD picture is shocking.

Any comments help welcome.

Thanks
Kevin

Last edited:
Hi Kevin. I have an LG OLED too. Same thing. SKY Q seems to have a poor up scaling ability compared to some TVS. There was some talk of having auto switching resolution like on the sky hd boxes. But nothing has come of it. For now if you want the best picture for non UHD keep 1080p on SKYQ and let the E6 upscale. It is a pain having to flip back to watch uhd though and this is why people want an auto setting. SKYQ forums have some threads in this too. hth

@KevinRoy - Yes, this has been an issue for some time now. As you say then 'Auto' function has been mentioned on Sky forums a number of times.

I got a Sky Q update yesterday but nothing regarding this problem. To be honest I've mostly found that standard HD looks better than UHD anyway so now tend to stick to that.

I agree the HD setting looks way better than the UHD which shouldn't be the case, so I guess this is confirmed as a SKY Q fault and not that of the TV is this correct ?, if so it could be fixed in firmware i am guessing or by as you suggest a auto switch option.

Thanks for the updates i thought i was going mad as couldnt understand why it was that way.

Agreed, it shouldn't be the case. I find the UHD content on Sky very disappointing and everything I've viewed so far has been better in HD. I don't have Sky Sports but I do believe football and possibly the up and coming F1 are supposedly better. Perhaps things will improve over the coming months (I'm tied in with Sky until November) but if not then will most likely cancel.

It'll be interesting to see what Virgin Media roll out as reading the specs the new V6 box is ready for 4K.

Had the same thing with my 65" E6, Sky Q was in general very disappointing.

Exactly the same for me , I am buying a Marantz nr1606 as I needed a new reciever and am going to try and run sky to it and then out to the Tv to see if it helps but if not then just watch at 1080p which seems crazy.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom