1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E55 menus have ghosting using component?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sunil1234, Dec 6, 2004.

1. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

Have a set up that is, at present,

E55 AV1>Viera 32 LCD AV4 Scart (audio and w.screen switch)
    E55 Component > Viera 32 LCD AV4 Component in (using QED cable)
    Arial>Veira Arial In

The E55 is set to output "video with component" but all of the on screen displays have ghosting around the letters. If i switch the E55 output to RGB (leaving the cabling unchanged), the Viera switches from AV4C to AV4RGB and the menu blues get stronger and brighter and the ghositing reduces significantly.

Can anyone help advise why this is?

Thanks

S

2. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Go back to Component setting but turn off E55 Progressive Scan, thats whats causing the ghosting. You will find it also causes dvd's to look grainy.The deinterlacer in the viera is better than the one in the E55 but the E55 takes priority when both are running.
    Strange but true.

PS. Mine is a viera plasma.Just assuming LCD to be the same.

3. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    cheers tried that but still ghosting on the E55s menus, like the setup wording and stuff. Do i need to restart the machine or anything?

Cheers

S

4. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No you don't need to reset.Should happen "live"
    I can't think of anything alse. Can you run through the settings /symptoms in more detail?
    Does the viera have a settings menu for AV4?

5. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi

Cheers for the help so far.

On the Viera the only thing i can see can be set on AV4 is my first enabling it as the Qlink Scart (and then changing back to Qlink Scart2) after making it "monitor"

So connections are as follows

E55 AV1 > LCD AV4 Scart (for audio and w/screen)
    E55 Component out > LCD AV4 Component in (QED PC1V cable)

Have no other items connected into E55 as the RF feed is going direct into the telly for now and the telly does not feed a RF signal via Qlink Scart 2 back into E55 Scart 2 for freeview.

Settings on E55 are (under functions/setup)

Picture
    Comb filter: off
    Hybrid VBR Resolution: Fixed
    Still Mode: Auto

Connection
    TV Aspect: 16:9
    Progressive: On
    TV system: PAL
    AV1 output: Video(with component)
    AV2 settings (not connected at present)

Now imagine youre looking at the E55 setup menu against its grey background. Well all the writing has ghosting around it.

If i change the output to RGB (without component) then the ghosting on the writing dissapears and the blue colours on the setup backgrounds etc sharpen and brighten considerably. It seems to be able to do this via AV4 into the telly (after changing from AV4C to AV4RGB), presumably as i have a scart connected from E55 AV1 to LCD AV4 to carry audio but can put a picture through it also despite the components being connected?

When viewing a playback of any disc with black borders top and bottom, the telly seems to have a ghosting line just a few mm above where the top and bottom borders become the picture all of the way across?.

Just really weird, dont know if its the telly, the recorder or the cabling (not cheap!) - anyhow JL are replacing the telly soon due to a couple of dead pixels on delivery but i guess i am just dissapointed with what is supposed to be a good component lead for nigh on 60 quid (assuming its all ok).

Thanks

S

6. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Sounds like the telly might somehow be mixing the component input with composite video from the scart.

Does the problem go away when the AV4 scart is removed?
    If so it sounds like the tv is either faulty or has an odd design.

One way round this might be to snip the composite video wire in the scart lead.

7. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi

Not really i'm afraid.

I just noticed that if i put the telly on AV4C use the "input" button on the E55 remote to cycle through the AVs, it does nothing (as per the pop up box in the top RHS of the screen for "DVD RAM", "AV4", "AV3" or "AV2" - however when it gets to "AV1" it displays my freeview - how on earth can this be as i havent connected my AV1 on telly to anything. This is being displayed on AV4C of the telly............

The only connections are

Roof ariel > TV ariel in
    E55 component out > Telly AV4 component in
    E55 AV1 out > Telly AV4 Scart In

Is this right or am i going mad, Is the telly sending monitor output via AV4 scart to the E55 AV1 (but surely AV1 on the E55 is an output NOT an input)???

(proof of this being that it doesnt display anything when the E55 AV1 scart to telly AV4 scart is removed)

I am well confused!

Help!

Ta

S

8. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    anyone know if my E55 AV1 should be picking up a freeview signal from the only connection it has to anything, my telly on AV4RGB?

Ta

9. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, it is a recorder/player so AV1 is an input and output.
    The E55 input button is not scrolling the viera AV's. It is scrolling its own AV's

10. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    cheers mate, i almost had a heart attack, couldnt put up with a possible fault on that one too. Seems like the quality of telly coming through it though is noticeably worse than the DVB tuner on the telly. I think i will wait for my extra QED scarts to come tomorrow and put AV2 out on the telly DVB to AV2 in on the E55 to see if that improves the picture when viewing freeview on the E55.

Cheers

S

11. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    PS does anyone have any joy in getting the E55 clock to auto-set itself. I havent!, seems to go through the rest of the motions fine...........

12. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ??? Why connect to E55 AV2.
    Don't mean to be rude but this sounds like a case of "Read the manual".
    I think you need to be a little more aware of the connection possibilities of both your viera and DVDr.
    If all you are connecting to the viera is your E55 you will need only one scart lead (And a comp lead if you wish, but not essential)
    Have a good study, try it, then get back to me. :)

13. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    "you want AV2 (Qlink scart) on TV to AV2 to E55 and AV1 E55 to av4 TV via scart and componentleads RF as you are"

I was advised this in another thread? - thats why mate (in this section of the forum). "Help please to connect Panny E55 and Panny Viera Freeview LCD 32 "

Currently is only 1 scart from AV4 on Viera to E55 AV1 but the freeview live picture quality seems to degrade noticeably when viewed via the E55 as opposed to direct on the tellys AV?

Please let me know

Cheers

S

14. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeh, just read that. Disagree and think he may have misread. AV2 on E55 is input for external STB/decoder, which you don't have.
    (unless, perhaps there is a function of the viera DVB, say a timer, that only works this way.But I don't know or miss it. Don't think so though)

Otherwise 2 scarts between 1 tv and 1 player. Why?

I have E55/viera and this works, and you can record DVB fine:

E55 AV1 scart to viera AV4.
    Set viera AV4 to qlink and DVB out.

Add component lead to viera AV4 if you want for better dvd pq. In E55 setup turn prog scan off. Set to "Comp with video."

When recording E55 must be on AV1.

15. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Cheers Happy H. ANy reason why prog scan should be off on the DVD? (is it because the screen does it?)

Also why does my picture look different when viewing freeview through the E55 in real-time (not recording) than when its off the TV in DVB mode?

I am starting to think the telly is at fault because there is even ghosting on the words appearing on the DVB TV Guide on the telly, not just the E55 menus?....

Thanks for your help

Think i will hang on to the QED component leads as they dont appear to be the source of my problem with ghosting.

S