1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E55 - Dark RGB picture

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SofaSpud, Aug 27, 2004.

1. SofaSpud

SofaSpud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all apologies for the long post....

I've recently bought a panny E55 for archiving off Sky+ and it works great - for composite video!

Part the reason I went for it was the RGB in and out - but if I use this the picture is so dark - it's actually worse than composite. On the Sky menu for example, the blue background is black and the white options are yellow.

Consequently instead of using:
    SKY+(AV1 RGB) -> (AV2 RGB) E55 (AV1 RGB)-> (AV1 RGB) TV, I'm just using the SKY video scart like this:
    E55 (AV2 PAL) <- (AV2 PAL) SKY+ (AV1 RGB) -> (AV1 RGB) TV.

Whilst it's not a show stopper, it is a constant niggle - particularly when commercial DVD's are played back - this picture is, well, not what it could be.

I've taken the E55 back and swapped it for another one - exactly the same issue - I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what!

...And another thing, in the connections menu, I have video (with component), s-video(with component) and RGB (without component) - is this normal? I'm using good 21 pin scarts to connect everything, but the 'without component' thing bothers me. Do I need to use the 3 RGB component connectors too with somekind of funky SCART?

Help!!!

Thanks,

Spud.

ps. I want to keep using the E55, the RAM thing is just so cool. Ta.

2. SofaSpud

SofaSpud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    This is definetly the way you should be setup. Have you tried using different Scart leads? It could be a dodgy connector causing your problem. You should invest in some decent quality leads.

Yes this is normal. You can either use the RGB Output of the Scart or the Component Output. You need component connectors on your TV (i.e. connectors that look the same as the three plugs on the E55!) to use component output.

4. SofaSpud

SofaSpud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply.

I've changed the SCART leads from budget ones to premium ones and noticed no difference. In addition if I take the E55 out of the equation, the picture is perfect, so I don't think it's the leads. I guess it must be a dodgy connector on the panny, but I've swapped it once and the new one is the same.

Also, if I have it wired up 'in RGB format' is the picture supposed to dissapear for 15 seconds (or whatever) whilst the Panny fires up?

I'll just continue using the VCR scart from Sky+ for now, the picture is still tons better than my old Vid!

Thanks again for the heads up

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Yes that's normal.

This would have been my next suggestion but it's unlikely to be a fault on the socket if you've had two different machines. Have you checked your TV settings? Sky has a habit of switching to composite whereas the E55 will stay rigidly to RGB if thats what it's set for - check you have connected to the RGB Scart and that any menu option in the TV setup is correctly set.

Also in the E55 setup menu (Functions/Setup/Connection) what type of connection do you have AV2 set as, i.e normal, Ext1, Ext2.

6. SofaSpud

SofaSpud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky is defo. in RGB, if I switch it to PAL through the Sky settings menu then the picture improves :rolleyes:

I'll leave it how it is, but thanks for helping.

Cheers.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Including when the signal passes through the on DVD recorder? If so then there is a problem here. When Sky is outputting a composite signal and the E55 is set to RGB then you should get sound only and no picture (the screen should be black).