1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E55 component connection help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mepsipax, Sep 17, 2004.

1. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    I posted this on one of the other forums, but no luck as yet.

I have a Toshiba 36zd26 TV which has 3 scart inputs (one RGB) and component inputs

A Panasonic E55 which accepts component cables

Sky Panasonic Digibox with 2 scart inputs

Toshiba 330e DVD player

Argos scart splitter box

Xbox / PS2

I'm not sure if the 330e can be used in my setup so no problem if it can't.

Basically I have component cable from TV > E55

Scart lead from RGB scart (1) on TV > TV input on Digibox

Scart from E55 to other scart on Digibox

I am able to view sky TV via EXT1, so that seems fine

The E55 also outputs onto EXT1, so I have to switch itv into standby and remove DVD to view TV, so this is obviously wrong.

The E55 is also displaying on EXT4 which is where it should be I think, but is a black and white picture.

I need to know what options to choose on the E55s menu re: progressive, NTSC, etc.

And need to establish which scart, component lead etc goes where.

Got myself into a big mess so could really appreciate some help!

2. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

After several more hours of trying different configurations, I am still stuck.

Advice appreciated.

Many thanks

3. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Ideally, you want the main output of your digibox (probably AV1) going to the DVD recorder's main input (probably AV2). You then want component cables AND a SCART cable going from your DVD recorder to your TV. You need the SCART as well because component doesn't carry sound. Your TV's manual will tell you which SCART socket it should be connected to when you're using component input.

Assuming the only thing you want to record from is your digibox, connect your DVD player direct to one of the TV's SCART sockets - preferrably the RGB one if it's free. Connect your XBox/PS2 to the other SCART socket on the TV.

If your TV can handle progressive input then set the E55 to progressive output. If you're in the UK, set the E55 to PAL output, not NTSC (that's the US TV standard).

4. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks I followed your instructions, though I didn't need to worry about a scart for the sound, as I have an amp configured for that.

It now works, but the DVD recorder outputs on EXT1 when I think it is meant to be EXT4 (this was the original problem).

Because of this I have to turn off the E55 before watching Sky which outputs through EXT1 as well.

However I am able to record Sky with this setup, which I was unable to do previously.

My other DVD player that I attached to scart 2 on the TV is showing on EXT2 which is fine.

I seem to be going round in circles with this, the solution by Nelviticus seemed spot on but for whatever reason I still have the problem above.

Suggestions appreciated

5. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Still experiencing above problem, with DVD recorder outputting to EXT1 instead of EXT4.

This is despite my trying loads of different configurations.

I have now established, via my Toshiba 36zd26 manual that unless the DVD output is through EXT4, I will not be viewing the NTSC component picture.

Really fed up now as the above advice seemed good, but for some reason or other it isn't working.

I have now removed the 330e from the setup and am going to be replacing it with my VCR, so more problems no doubt!

Anyone with similar setups advice needed, or anyone with a clue as to how I should install these items?

Cheers

6. Boxadog

Boxadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I had the same problem with my setup. Basically, the E55 outputs a signal on pin 8 of the AV2 SCART which makes the Sky box blank Sky and switch the E55 signal through to the TV SCART of the Sky box. Which is why you are seeing the E55 on the same input of your TV as Sky.

Best way to connect is:

TV SCART of Sky box to AV2 of E55 (nothing connected to VCR SCART of Sky box).

Component out of E55 to TV component in.

This way, you need to select AV2 on the E55 to watch Sky via the component connection of your TV.

Sky box should be set to RGB. E55 AV2 should be set to RGB. AV1 of E55 should be set to 'video with component', with either progressive on or off depending on how your TV reacts.

Advantages are you now have a SCART spare on your TV for your DVD recorder, your recordings from SKY will be RGB (the VCR SCART of the sky box is composite only) and therefore better quality. Disadvantages are you can't watch Sky if you are recording a terrestrial channel and you can't use EXT Link on your E55 to start recordings from the Sky personal planner. You can overcome the first disadvantage by using a 1 to 2 active SCART splitter. The input of this box connects to the Sky TV SCART. One of the outputs goes to the TV SCART and the other to AV2 of the E55. This is what I have done and it works well. You could then connect your Argos SCART switcher between the lead coming from the active splitter and your TV to connect your DVD player so you can switch between your DVD player and Sky, or am I confusing you? Hope that helps. Would be interested to know how you find the picture quality on component. See my earlier thread on this forum about component video and the E55.

7. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Thanks for your suggestions.

I will try your setup when I get some time off work, and will get back to you regarding the E55 component quality.

Cheers