1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E55 and Freeview box

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Brooktop, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi - not sure this should be in Freeview or DVD Recorders..so apologies if you've already seen this in the FV section, but here goes!

I have a Panasonic TUCT20 FV box going by scart to my Panasonic E55 DVDR. When I recorded progs from terrestrial analogue, it would title the recording with the name of the programme. Now I'm using digital terrestrial, it doesn't seem to be recording that info: just the time/date and the titel AV2.
    Is this something to do with the RF? If so, I can't use the RF because my NTL analogue cable is using the RF (no scart output from NTL analogue).

One other question, can I use AV1 scart socket (labelled TV) on the E55 or do I have to keep it in AV2 (labelled Decoder/Ext)? If I could it would mean that I could then put back my VCR into AV2 and have all my gear connected without having to swap scart leads.

By the way, going from scart or RF direct to the TV is not an option as I have a Panasonic PW6 plasma screen with no additional terminal boards - everything is channelled from the E55 by component>VGA input on the PW6. I could potenially get a scart terminal board, but it's added cost and I'm not sure waht benefit it would be as I want to go from FV to E55 so I can record stuff.

Thanks

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    When you record off the scart it doesn't have any input in respect of a name so it can only give it the source AV2.

AV1 is not RGB so for best quality you need to continue with AV2 for input and AV1 for output. If your Freeview box has 2 scarts you can connect the VCR to the VCR scart whilst leaving the E55 connected to the TV scart, when you press play (on the VCR) the Freeview box will automatically pass the signal thru.

3. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Thanks for answering both my questions Bobcar. The FV box only has 1 scart (RGB at least) so I'll have to stick with switching the scart - but tbh, I hardly ever use my VCR anyway and I'm sure I'll increasingly use it less and less.

Don't suppose I can feed the VCR into AV1? Although it may not be RGB - it doesn't really matter cos it's only VHS.

4. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes feeding the VCR in AV1 should work as you are using component out to the screen.

Also, I think the naming is done via teletext info on analouge feeds but via AV there is no teletext as it can't access the digital text.

Wackojacko32

5. SaxmanUK

SaxmanUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK get this??????????????

I have finally NEARLY worked it out. Maybe some guys here will tell me why I still have a weird b/w picture through AV1 from the recorder

Setup now is

SKY box..................TV out RGB SCart to AV4 Scart on the 5200........good
    SKY box..................VCR out scart to AV1 (TV output) !!!! of the DMRE55
    Panny DMRE55.........component outputs to the AV1 5200.....good on playback and now recording!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However if you place the 5200 on AV1 to see which channel the recorder is tuned to i.e. bbc1, sky (which is now on av1 of the E55) the picture on the TV is B/W and fuzzy and split across the screen!!!!

In principle I would have thought that I would see an alright picture to set my recordings too

Confused by technology

Sean

6. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am not sure why the picture is b/w on AV1? But the opinion on here seems to suggest that it is better to connect the TV output of Sky box to AV2 of the E55 as both of these are RGB capable and will give you the best quality recording. You could then view sky via component on the E55.

This will also leave TV out free which you may also be able to be connected to the TV RGB scart to allow passthrough when the E55 is off and not upconverting to component. I am not sure whether there will be any conflict from the two E55 to TV connections though when the E55 is switched on?

Might be worth a try

Wackojacko32

7. SaxmanUK

SaxmanUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmmmmmmmmmm
    tried it but when Sky TV out connected to AV2 on the E55 I have no picture sky picture at all just sound?
    weird

8. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Saxman see my reply on http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1477059&posted=1#post1477059

Brooktop you can connect your VCR to AV1 if you're using the E85's component output, just be careful you don't get a feedback loop (happens when the E85 is set to AV1 and the VCR is set to the scart you've connected the E85 to.) Probably easier to get a scart to 3 x phono lead and connect to the E85's AV4.

9. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SaxmanUK

Have you set the output of the Sky box to RGB in picture settings. This problem occurs when you have a composite source on an RGB input. If you have, then you have probably pressed the TV button on the Sky remote as this puts the output back to composite. I think this is because some TV's, including my old JVC have a problem displaying other source material when one input source is RGB. Just press sky button again to get RGB output back.

Wackojacko32