1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E50 vs HS2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Yuccaman, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, after deciding to get an E50, I then thought to go for the HS2 and now I'm not sure - yep, I am decisive :)

As I have Sky+, the most compelling reason to get an HDD/DVDR doesn't really apply....

Any opions on the following:

1 - Quality loss I may suffer if I get the E50, record from Sky to DVD-RAM, edit out the ad's, then play the DVD RAM in a Panasonic S75 to record onto a DVD-R on the E30.

2 - Any further quality loss if for scenario 1 above, I use an S- Video connection... I don't want to be pulling Scarts out each time I want to record from DVD RAM to DVD-R.

3 - HS2 Noise... How noisy is the unit both in use when recording to HD or DVD and how noisy in Standby ? Whatever unit I buy will be in my bedroom. My Sky+ box has a permanent hum on it (presumably the HD). how does the HS2 compare ?

4 - Location of connctions.... For either machine, where are the SCART & S - Video connections in relation to the back of the box ? My storage Unit will only just take the unit in but I also need cable allowance...

i.e - Scarts 20 cms from left of box etc :) If the connections are in the middle of the box, I'll be a happy man... To far to either side and I may be stressed....

I've grabbed the US HS2 manual from the Panasonic site, but I presume the Euro version will be different at the back

5 - The wierd question....

Any idea if anyone makes a 90 degree adaptor for the 2 hole power supplies used by most AV kit these days.... The leads that typically are supplied need about an inch of space to plug them in properly... a little adaptor to free up this would be most useful with my furniture...

Cheers in advance......

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have the budget for the HS2 then go for it.Like me you have Sky+.But the editing capabilities of the HS2 are outstanding.If you only copy movies to dvd then you can do without,but if you want to archive anything else at all,the HS2 is something you will wonder how you ever managed without it.And with internal HDD-DVD-R transfer,you can forget about losing any quality like you would with messing about using second players for copying.If quality is important to you,then there are no options except the HS2

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Phelings and I seem to be on accord for once - if you can afford a HDD/DVDR combo go for that as it makes life easier.

For the S75 and E50 route have a read of the thread "PC GUIDE: DVD-RAM (inc DVD-RW VR Mode) To DVD-R" in which one of the guides is for the non-PC S75/E50 route. You will loose some quality but shouldn't be too bad. Several people on this forum go down this route and are happy with the results. You can get around the plugging/unplugging by buying a 2 into 1 Scart socket. Anyway have a read of the post in the thread I suggest and see if that helps.

As to your 'location of connections' question well the two Scart sockets are displaced slightly to the left of centre on the unit (when viewed from the front). About 1/3 the way across.

Yes - the UK manual is online on Panasonic's UK page (www.panasonic.co.uk).

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    I suppose it can vary between units (and on how much you format your drive) but my drive is totally silent when the unit is in standby, makes a slight whirr when it spins up and sort of clicks very very quietly every few seconds (you can only hear it if you have your head within 1m of the unit and with the TV off) when it's recording. Noise really isn't an issue with the HS2.

5. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's the million dollar question....

Is the price difference worth the slightly improved quality & convenience.....

Although, with seeing that the precise editing seems to have been removed on later models of the E50, the HS2 is looking more like being the model to buy....

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The convenience is worth it alone.And do not forget,the HS2 stores 9 hours at XP quality.Without a HDD you will get only 1 hour at XP on any format.
    If you do not have to scrimp to get the HS2,you will regret letting it go.Without it,any editing will rely on using a PC-hardly convenient

7. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Even more inconvenient when you haven't a PC :)

Looks like the HS2 will be the one after the cut off on the credit card in a few days....

8. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You may miss the £200 or so for a few weeks, but you will miss the hard drive for several years if you don't go for it.
    Never worth going for the cheap and compromised solution if you can possibly afford what you really want. I paid £800+ for my hs2 a year ago and don't regret it even though it is now £300 cheaper.
    This unit is the most useful bit of kit I have ever bought and the only av item i own which gets slightly more use is the tv itself.
    Once you get the hang of it and spend about 30 mins once a week setting up to record all the programs you want to see, you reep the benefite, watch tv at times to suit you, and never watch ads again saving hours of time.

9. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, watching what I want when I want is what I've got Sky+ for :)

For me, it really boils down to the HS2 enabling better quality and more easily edited DVD-R's over the E50 / S75 combo...

I can afford the HS2 - providing it's on the following months CC bill :)

I just like to be sure I'm getting value for money with what I buy cos I'm a tight git like that !!!!

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    as for right angle fig 8 leads try maplin, cpc, farnell and RS (RS not richer sounds) they are made as BOSE use them for their bass modules

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I too am tempted in purchasing the HS2 but that lip synch problem is niggling away at me and has put me off purchasing.

Unless one of you guys can convince me otherwise it's the Philips and the + format (or stick with SVHS) for me :(

12. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Found some nice right angle figure of eight leads... Shame it was a Japanese website... Can;t figure out how to order :)

Kevo - A 'few' people have reported this as a problem...

However, I doubt I'd be worried as I can;t see myself hardly ever wanting to watch something I am recording at the same time....

With Sky+, I'll watch it on that, then if I want to burn it to a DVD, I'll set up a overnight copy....

13. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kevo,as reported,the lip synch problem does not appear on recordings.If you go for the DVD+ format,you might as well forget about about a HDD addition anytime soon-there isn't one

14. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Thanks, you're quite right.

Somebody else mentioned on another post that there is a way round it by using an alternative scart out on my ntl cable.

I already have this set up via my SVHS vcr, so worse comes to the worse I can watch cable via S-Video or even Freeview in RGB if it's one of the terrestrial channels (9 times out of 10 it will be!).

So HS2 is back in favour with me.

Now do I wait for the Jan Sales, but then i'll miss out on some xmas usage.

Decisions, decisions !