Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

E50 - should SP mode fill a disc?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by buffyangel108, Jan 5, 2004.

1. buffyangel108

buffyangel108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

That jolly fellow from the north pole brought me a Panasonic E50 for christmas and I must say it's a fantastic bit of kit - one of the best electrical items I've ever bought :smashin:

One query though: on Saturday I recorded John Carpenter's ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 from BBC1 onto DVD-RAM using the SP function (I know the movie was only 90-odd mins but I figured I'd crop the half hour's worth of rubbish off on my PC before authoring to DVD-R).

Upon placing the disc in my DVD-ROM though, I see that the whole 120 min recording only took up 3.1 GB of the RAM disc. Is this normal? I'm sure my other SP recordings onto DVD-RAM have been around 4.1GB but I could be mistaken.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Jordan

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    At sp you would get exactly 2 hours on the disc, at around 4.1gig plus a little spare for housekeeping, replacement of duff areas etc.

You should have recorded at FR and filled the disc with the highest quality, then cropped later to get the best final output.

3. buffyangel108

buffyangel108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for your quick reply - that's the problem here though because the whole 120 mins at SP only filled up 3.1GB of my DVD-RAM disc. The E50 display stated that the disc was full though (remaining time 0:00) :(

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    When I fill up a disc, it is usually around 3.8GB maximum. 3.1GB does sound too low.

5. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Hi

It depends on what you video. If the program was letterboxed (i.e. black bars top and bottom so less picture to encode), and has little movement or scene changes, it might take up less space on the disc.

This is due to Variable Bit Rate, where the recorder lowers the bit rate for less complicated scenes so it can use more bits on complicated scenes, if there are no complicated scenes, you are left with more space than you would have thought.

Regards

Philip

6. buffyangel108

buffyangel108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for your replies - this certainly is one helpful forum :)

That's exactly what I was hoping - the film was a rather dimly lit feature which would probably explain the small used space. As a tester last night, I recorded some episodes of Seinfeld using SP and the 120 mins came to 4.0 GB :)

Thanks again for everyone's help - much appreciated :smashin: