1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E50 or HS2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by steve.wardell, Sep 4, 2003.

1. steve.wardell

steve.wardell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Been reading round the threads for a little while, like the E50 and at £245 I am very very tempted (called Richer Sounds today and asked if they had stock, they didnt and wanted £329 - laughed the guy off the phone, but he did say he would price match a genuine offer)

Anyway
    I do like the E50, but its entry level in my view - which is fine BUT I like the idea of HDD of HS2 but its twice the price.

I think I will buy E50 now and then over next 12 months see what happens with HDD versions (new E100 etc) and maybe changce as price reaches a more w2k level

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Bottom line summerised as best as I can:

If you want to make editted archivings on DVD-R go for the HS2 (or other HDD/DVDR combo). If you don't, or do but eventually see yourself getting a PC DVD burner, then go for the E50. The latter may be 'entry level' but it's a very powerful machine.

3. steve.wardell

steve.wardell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks
    PC burner sounds like a good bet with the E50, have to find a RAM compat one - time to scour the threads again

I guess E50 at £245 plus say £100 for an OEM burner would be about right - more flexible solution for less than £350

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
  5. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    which dvd burner would you recomend for use with dvdxcopy up to say £200

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Anyone will be do. For PC use it really doesn't matter whether you use + or - drives. So make your decision based on what matters, e.g. price, speed of burning etc.

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    .......or go for one of the new Panny DVDPlayers that does Ram playback and use to edit back to -r. Which is what I am doing. Far less messing around than getting a PC involved.

Incidentally I have to say the new Panny DVD players are excellent. Been very very impressed. Not only does it play back Ram discs but every other format I have tried (+R, -R, RW, VCD, SVCD etc...)

Quality and features are also excellent, might get me off away from Pioneer players.

E50 for the money is an absolute bargain. I wouldnt buy an HS2 at the moment. Got a feeling with increased competition in the HD models prices may come down a fair bit sooner rather than latter.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    I don't think there is nearly enough competition in the top end yet to cause prices to reduce. The Pioneer has landed at around £700, the HS2 cheaper hovers around £590 and the E100 at the top end at £800. Pioneer tend not to reduce their stuff much and Panasonic won't unless pushed into it. Real competition won't come until Feb/March next year when JVC and Toshiba launch HDD/DVDR models in competition with the others. By the end of 2004 though I reckon HDD/DVDR combos will be at the £400 mark.

9. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Has anyone used the philips 80 Model dvd recorder yet?
    I see Electrical discount are offering the dvdr80 for £370