1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E50 big problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by carl310166, Dec 25, 2003.

1. carl310166

carl310166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,i managed to make a recording off sky digital this morning..BUT..when i tried to make another recording,the machine powers down,then goes into recovery....and keeps the disc inside!....i managed to get one out,by switching off on the wall for a long time,i have tried another,and it's keeping that one....is it the machine?or have i one something wrong?.....please help...it's my sons pressie...and i'm getting worked up.

2. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Can't be of much help to you. I have an E50 and have never had any problem. All I can suggest is checking that the plugs are all in firmly. Otherwise it looks like a faulty unit. Hope you get it sorted soon.

3. carl310166

carl310166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i managed to get the other disc out,then tried panasonic ram disc,that worked fine....so i tried again,so far,i have done four successful vhs to dvd backups,i think it may have been a couple of ropey discs! hope so anyway.

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    Yep. It'll be ropey discs, or at least discs that the Panny doesn't like. I had similar probs with my E60 'till I found a cheap brand of DVD-R that worked well.
    I'm now using Datawrite Classic Grey (X2 speed) with no problems.

Alot of people here recommend Ritek discs, and they are good discs.... its just that the Panny's are unusual in not liking 'em and cause problems just like you decribe.

Your machine is not faulty, just fussy... but it's a great machine in every other respect.

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it is dodgy -r discs without a doubt the quality of the cheaper brands is getting worse IMO

Go for ritek G04 discs and don't go too cheap it just isn't ecomomical in the long run

If you can buy from a supplier near to you and pick them up. That way you will save a great deal on postage and can return faulty discs very easily

I recently bough 100 datasafe ritek G03 discs almost 60 failed

6. carl310166

carl310166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,...like you say,i will have to find a local supplier,because i nearly ordered 75 datawrite classis greys online,but when i got to the checkout,i started getting paranoid about compatability issues,or is it just a fact of owning a dvd recorder,that i might loose 3 or 4 discs from a bundle of 25?

if i buy a smaller amount at one time,is there enough of a sample to find problems? you never know,there might be failures from batch to batch,is it possible to get through,say 50 discs without a hitch,then buy another 100,only to find some are coasters!

i must say,even on my first day of owning the E50,i am impressed with the quality etc,even though i am not recording in rgb...i ave backed up 4 vhs',just another 190 to go!!!

anyway,thanks for your advice

7. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i must admit these were there first batch i have ever had problems with

go for 20 - 25 if those are fine the rest should be. I only had 1 faulty disc from around 200 odd datawrite yellows but when I came to re-order they had disappeared

I have always found datawrite discs fine

datasafe not so fine and bulkpaq forget it

with regards local suppliers I meant online stores, just check out the business address

I know big pockets is in Lye (west mids)
    svp - slough
    hicrest - wolverhampton (i think)

someone posted great success with sony one's from hicrest pretty cheap too £11 odd for 25

8. carl310166

carl310166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the dvds i am using now,came from bigpockets,they are their own choice brand £14.75 for 25 i think.

can i ask you directly?

have you got an E5o?

are you using datawrite classic greys?

if not,which ones?

i have been reading about the speed of the discs,does it matter?

thanks in advance

i don't know what i would do without this forum!

9. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using the Datasafe "One" DVD-R's from Here (Hicrest) without any problems in our E50 - recorded 20+ discs now - no coasters.

The cost is £29.98 (60p each) for 50. Additionally, the couple running the company and their service are excellent - very helpful and polite.

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use big pockets all the time

make sure you return this discs they will refund you

I own an E30 and a Tosh XS30

I have just bought 100 of the Ritek yellows from big pockets and they work fine on both (around £17 odd for 25)

disc speed makes no difference, it only affects PC DVD drives

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually do you know how to easily test the discs without them getting stuck in the machine?

put in a disc
    goto the functions menu
    disc information
    try to change the disc name put in 1
    try to save

if it saves the name the disc will be fine

if it doesn't the machine will turn off but the disc will eject when you turn it back on

test some of the greys it will make the postage cheaper when you return the faulty ones

12. Orac

Orac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using 'Mirror' branded (made by NEC?) 4X DVD-Rs on an E50 and never ended up with a coaster. Occasionally a recording stops after about 90 seconds with 'an error has occurred - press enter', so I do - it shows 'RECOVER' for a short while and then is ready to burn again. This normally happens when the disk is cold - once it's been in the E50 for a couple of minutes it's fine.

A failure of this kind is caused by the write buffer filling up and nothing having been sucessfully written to the disk yet. Since nothing's been written to the disk, no space is wasted and the RECOVER process gets you back to how it was before you started.

I paid £20 for a spindle of 25, in my local computer shop.

13. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    It's great to get so much advice, but for me far too many people are recommending Ritek G04 discs in the Panasonic machines.
    DON'T DO IT!

They're great discs, but the Panny will make coasters out of a large number of them.
    The panasonics are apparently optimised for discs that are slightly more reflective than the Riteks.

I had a batch of Grade A Ritek G04 discs and lost 6 out of 7 in the Panny before I gave up.
    I also lost the same number of G03 discs.

Then I switched to Datawrite Classic Grey (x2 speed) and I've had no problems at all.

14. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am suprised about the G4 riteks

on another thread someone is reporting that datawrite Greys do not work on his E50

Luck of the draw with discs these days

15. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It is also known that some discs have to be used and finalised in one session, such as the datawrite red4x. If you remove them from the machine for adding to later they apparently don't always work when reinserted. I used a whole tub of these with no problem by always finalising immediatelt, but I only record a whole disc at a time with dubbing from the hard drive of my hs2. THis is a lot more difficult for an E50 owner trying to save a whole series.

16. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    Only some machines don't like the riteks. Some are fine and some are not. It depends on the make of the drive inside. I heard Panasonic changed the drive in the cheaper models.

I use JVC DVD-R's (2x) just fine, but mainly just use RAM.

17. carl310166

carl310166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after reading the post about trying to enter a title before burning,out of the bundle of 25,20 would not let me enter a title,i said that the disc was protected,i spent ages testing them all.

i then put in a disc i burnt and finalized yesterday. the machine did not recognise it! so i ejected it,and put it back in the tray,this time it did recignise it,and it played perfectly.

i began to think,if i had a problem with a known "good" disc,was it missreading the others?

i placed a disc that i had already found to be a reject in the drive,then tried to enter a title first,before recording (on this occassion the v/rec box was in colour,as opposed to black and white),THIS time i was possible,and i successfully burnt a 3 hour video onto it. so i thought,had all the previous 20 rejected discs been ok after all?

i placed another of my previously rejected discs into the machine,i was able to enter a title,and the v/rec box was in colour again.
    i pressed record again,but approx 45 secs into the recording,it would fail. i tried this with another 3 discs,the same result.

what do you make of that?

today (sat) i will be going down Comet/PC World,yes i am desperate !!! to buy a small batch of Panny discs,just to make sure it's not the machine,i also ordered 25 datawrite classic greys from a guy on ebay,i am thinking,i will get them sooner from a private individual over the festive period.

i will let you know the results.

18. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Were you using the Sky planner when you were recording,as this can cause problems if Sky goes from Sky TV Scart > VCR DVD,as oposed to from Sky VCR Scart > VCR DVD,as stated in the manual?

This is how it should be set up for EXT Link to work.

I've got mine from Sky TV > VCR DVD and it crashed the box when I was recording off Sky and a programme from the planner I had forgot about popped up.I stopped the recording and switched off,but then it wouldn't respond without holding the power button in for 10 seconds or so.

The DVD has crashed a few times while experimenting with the EXT Link with Sky and Freeview.

Once you know what'll crash it,you can avoid them in the future.

19. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is a weird one

when you do have a problem and a disc gets stuck a good trick is to put in an unfinalised dvd-r you know works

45 seconds sounds about right for it to fill up the buffer and begin to write to the disc which of course it can not on a faulty disc

I am suprised you could change the title though because you are writing information to the disc

how very odd

20. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is this related to the known problem that if you use the sky remote to control the tv it outputs a composite signal out the TV scart rather than an RGB

I can not see how this would make the recording stop, I would have thought it would just record a black screen

21. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    No.

The recording doesn't stop,it's just the Sky planner or EXT Link can cause the box to crash/not respond.

22. carl310166

carl310166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was recording from a video player to the E50 via av2 set to video,i know this isn't the best,although i think it's fine,it's just easier for me do to this at the moment,because i don't know how to connect the video via av4,i have 2 scarts and a red and white plug thing on the back of the video,there are red white and yellow plugs on the front of the video,but i guess this is to input signals,not output.i can't connect from to scart on the E50,as the sockets are already used up.
    on the video the red and white only carries the sound,no yellow for picture,i have got a scart to red white yellow adaptor,but this does not work,if i look at scart part of it,half the prongs are missing,i can't remember where i got it (playstation 2 ??)

does this make any sense? if i need a wire or anything,i am going to comet etc today,and i can pick something up.

i did ask advise on here "E50 cables" but this was for my living room where i had sky+ and 2 scarts on the tv,i also said i had an s-video plug on the video,wrong!!

the E50 is upstairs in my sons room,he has normal sky digital and a portable tv with one scart.

you have probably already guessed,i am new to av stuff !!!

23. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes,you have to compromise sometimes.

My present Sky box doesn't allow RGB loop through.

24. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a standard vhs can only output a composite signal anyway. With this bedroom setup you can not make use of AV3/4 on the E50 as these are s-video connections and standard sky or standard sky box do not output this signal

your description of your set up is a tad confusing. Where is the E50 going to stay, living room or bedroom?

with a video, standard sky box, E50 and TV with one scart the ideal connection would be

video tv scart to video scart on sky box

tv scart on sky box to E50 scart in (AV2)

E50 scart out (AV1) to TV

this will pass through the vhs signal to the E50 when the sky box is switched off

the red and white leads carry audio signals the yellow is a very poor video connection I would advice you do not use this as it is gives an even worse picture than composite scart

however with only one scart on the tv you can only watch what is being recorded on the E50

why has the e50 migrated north?

25. carl310166

carl310166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i will link the equipment like you suggest.

well err,I wanted the E50,you know the score,tell the wife how good it is etc,then tell my son (21)how he will be able to watch his 190+ wrestling videos on dvd! he didn't take long to ask for one for xmas...the thing is,he needs to transfer his total collection before it sort of makes it's way back downstairs (but i will be borrowing it,to backup our sky+ in the living room)...i know it's not the ideal situation,but if i had bought it for myself,HE would have been permanently downstairs with stacks of video tapes everywhere....mind you,if i can find reliable media,and he transfers 4 tapes per day,thats still 7 weeks before i can sneak it away from him.

26. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still not completely certain why you want to transfer so many videos to dvd the quality will not improve. I doubt the longevity will either. The dye used in -r discs will eventually degrade making the discs unplayable.

How long this is, I don't know. Depends on the quality of the disc.

why doesn't your son just keep a video player to play the tapes?

27. carl310166

carl310166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    basically,it's a storage issue,all the videos take up for too much space,plus he keeps them in 4 massive plastic boxes,so if he needs to find a particular tape,it's difficult at the moment. also,it's a lot easier to find something on a 3hr dvd,by looking through the 5 min bookmarks?

anybody know the minumum life of a dvd?

has anybody had one fail?

further to my previous post,i had to buy 10 Memorex dvd-r from Comet @ £24.99 !!!! but they do seem to be working excellently so far,mind you,i should think so at that price.

28. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £2.50 a disc! i would want them to do the cooking and cleaning for that price :p

try ordering 10 or 25 online until you find one you like then order a load of them

a few people have recomended the sony 1's on hicrest site pretty cheap too

storage issue is a fair point.

I do not know much about how long -r will last but apparently it depends on the quality of the dye and how often they are played. When in the machine the dye heats up causing it to degrade slightly. Well that's the theory.

My oldest recordings are around 12 months old and they play fine

you would think the quality of thr -r produced now would be far superior to those made 1 - 2 years ago

29. carl310166

carl310166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i know,£2.50

they had run out of panny ones,they are £2.00.

but like i said earlier,i have bought 25 off a guy on ebay,so i needed something to keep me going until then,i should get them on monday or tuesday,if they work,i will order at least 50 off one of the online retailers.

anyway,thanks for all your help and advice.

carl

30. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    www.blankdiscshop.co.uk has some excellent deals for DVD-R and RAM disks, reasonable postage too unlike other competitors. Info is given if the DVD's are compatable with an E50 etc also