E4300 Overclock Temperatures

Simba

Distinguished Member
I thought it might be better to start a new thread dealing specifically with the cpu temps.

Ok i have the e4300 running at 2.25GHz just now but before i go any further with that i want make sure i dont reach silly temps if im not already at that stage! The bus speed is at 250 just now with the default 9x multiplier. Now in terms of the temps, the BIOS reports tempts around 35degrees but the likes of TAT and CORE TEMP report around 60degrees. im using the stock cooler as all the reviews over the net have managed to get successful overclock to beyond the 3ghz mark using that. obviosuly theres better coolers than the stock but no harm in experimenting.:)

what temps should i be following?

also iv noticed in CPU-Z that the multiplier switches every so often from 6x to 9x thus reporting either 1.5ghz or 2.25ghz relative to those. whats going on with that?

to summarise the rest of the system:
e4300 + stock cooler
2gb pc6400 corsair xms2 4-4-4-12
7600gt
gigabyte p35c ds3r mobo

thanks, simba

booyaka

first point is that you need to switch most of the settings to manual in the bios.

You need to switch off the SPEEDSTEP option (known as CPU EIST Function with the gigabyte board) as this alters the multiplier dependant on the workload of the cpu.

Below is thieved from http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17636047

It's basically the clocking thread for the previous DS3 version the P965 chipset but works the same

-------------------------

Clocking
1. Make sure that you have the latest chipset drivers and flash the board to the most recent bios version
2. On the main bios screen press Ctrl+F1 to open the advanced options within the menus
3. In the Advanced Bios Features Menu, Disable all of the following: CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E), CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2), CPU EIST Function
4. In the PC Health Status menu, set the FAN Speed Control Method to "Legacy" & FAN Speed Control Mode to "PWM" to maintain highest speed
5. Go into the MB Intelligent Tweaker (MIT) menu at the bottom of the page, set the System voltage control to "Manual"
6. These boards have a default VDIMM of 1.8v, set the VDIMM to co-ordinate with your ram. The Geil I have is specced as 2.1v so I have mine set to +0.3v
7. Set the MCH Voltage to +0.1v
8. Set the FSB Voltage to +0.1v
9. Set the VCORE to 1.45v - Please be aware that this will increase temps!
10. Set the CPU Host Clock Control to "Enable"
11. Set the System Memory Multiplier to "2x"
12. You're set to go, just increase the System bus Frequency to Overclock
13. I would reccommend that you use Intels TAT to monitor temps

Once you have done that - that should help. Also with any overclocking not all cpu's work the same/clock the same.

above should help you. Personal 60 degrees whilst stressing the cpu is fine. It's highly unlikely that you cpu with run at 100% load all the time.:smashin:

Withe the chipset temps - just make sure you have good airflow through your case - chipsets can stand a fair bit of heat!

Simba

Distinguished Member
NICE one mate! :thumbsup:

just one tho, would the voltage alterations that u mentioned be ok for the p35 aswell?

see i was worried about the 60degrees mark cos im sure i read on intels site that the max temp is 65degrees... il find a linky for that...

tinners

Novice Member
NICE one mate! :thumbsup:
just one tho, would the voltage alterations that u mentioned be ok for the p35 aswell?
see i was worried about the 60degrees mark cos im sure i read on intels site that the max temp is 65degrees... il find a linky for that...

In my experience you'll end up much lower than 1.45v. Both my Core 2 duo CPUs run overclocked at 1.325v and I never get to 60 degrees.

Id recommend giving this guide the once over
http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=103676
The P5K addon gives some more info on the P35 updates
http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=110267

I also leave the Speedstep on so my CPU gets some rest when not in use rather than running at 3Ghz always.
Do turn it off whilst ou're getting your overclock sorted though.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom