E30 to HS2 is it worth it?

B

bobbles

I currently have a Multiregion E30 and a modded S35 which is capable of playing RAM

I am seriously considering upgrading to a HS2 or even a E100

is it worth it?

How does the high speed dubbing work?

For example say I have saved 4 episodes of the west wing on sky+

I transfer them to the HS2 overnight

edit them on the HS2

High speed dub onto -R

at what speed can it do this?

Do you need the right discs, so to do at double speed do you need X2 discs?

What other advantages does the HS2 have over the E30?

What advantages does the E100 have over the HS2 other than the 80Gb drive?

Ta

There is no high speed dubbing on the hs2 to -R.

You can dub at high speed with the E100 as long as the original and dub are at the same resolution. THis means that you cant record to the hdd at best resolution, edit etc and high speed dub more than an hour to a -R, which rather defeats the point in my opinion.

E100 has same specs as E60 SD slot etc as well as larger drive. Sky+ and HS2 with new dual record less useful as before dual record you could have done this. I guess as you have invested in Sky+ S35 as well as E30 you have an HS2 in 3 boxes so it would cut down on boxes. I would wait and see if panny release a digital E100 ie 2 freeveiw tuners and see what that does to price of E100 and HS2

well the high speed dub was one of the main reasons for upgrading.

Only on the E100. Only if the same speed means yes it is pretty useless

I can edit if I wish on the S35

It wouldn't replace sky+ or the S35

I use the S35 to playback dvds via components. I also use this while the e30 is busy archiving. It has also been modded should I wish to back up a dvd or timeshift a rental. (rare but useful)

I love my sky+ you would have to pry it from my dead hands to get it away from me

If you archive anything to collect,the addition of HDD editing allows a freedom you will enjoy,even without high speed dubbing.And the ability to do frame precise editing easily,is a real boon.It will certainly make a dvd player to recorder set up look archaic-believe me.
At £549 the convenience offered by the HS2 all in one is great.For £200 more the E100 does not cut it.As Ken points out,the lack of high speed dubbing at diffrerent quality rates makes that function a waste of time.It also adds MPEG4 recording ,if you need it,and of course,has double size HDD.

all my recording is done on sky+

so transfering to HS2 is no different to transfering to RAM which can then be edited and played on the S35 and recorded onto -R

The connection is RGB so the slight drop in quality is negligible

I do wish the you could say leave it to record 6 episodes onto -R from ram (or even sky+) and THEN separate the episodes.

Does HS2 offer this facility?

It would cost me arround £400 to upgrade, I just do not think it is really worth it at present.

With regards disc space I intend after xmas to upgrade the 40Gb sky hard disc with a 120Gb one so space isn't an issue.

I think I am better off waiting for the next batch of upgraded players, DD5.1 recording would be handy for a start

also enhanced editing features, thumb nails perhaps

bobbles,
the HS2 is the D's B's..
Forget about low rate dubs
buy the HS2 and start to wonder how you did with out it!!

low rate dubs, I do not think so

There is no noticeable difference from the RAM recording to the -R

I usually record around the 3hr mark for TV archiving. To me anything less is pretty pointless

It would cost me £400 to upgrade from my current set up, it simply is not worth it. If I do it know it has to be worth it, I will only want to upgrade again when the next advancements are made.

I am fickle though, I wait to be convinced

But if you copy anything to RAM that lasts over an hour you lose quality.
With the HS2 you could use the Sky+ 'copy' facility to transfer 6 half hours overnight.These will remain at broadcast quality,unlike a RAM recording of the same.You then edit the 6 epiosodes to perfection,taking all the ads plus crap either side to leave a block of 6 shows.You then 'divide' into 6.You then 'title' the 6 and using the HS2 internal dubbing facility,you transfer the 6 episodes over to dvd-r .The completed dvd is all 6 episodes,separately titled and individually accessible from the menu,with a lot less trouble editing,and a nice neat job

i didn't realise it would automatically split into episodes that is a nice feature

You actually tell the HS2 where to 'divide' the video file after tweaking out all the ads, etc ... that's what I've been doing with mine to clear out the HD's on my sky+ and tivo ... and now its up for sale in the classifieds if you are interested ...

Jon

well as I say I am going to wait for a while. Should be moving house late next year so I will use some of the equity to get a new system.

Hopefully, by then the new HD DVDR will be cheaper anyway due to sky+ and the cheaper brands flooding the market

What I really want is better editing facilities, DD5.1 recordable and high speed dub. I don't think any of those are unrealistic

5.1 recording is on the way from Kiss,but the major brands have not announced anything.I believe it was kept away as an anti piracy measure,so it may not turn up from the quality brands.The HS2 has excellent editing,how do you want them improved,and the E100 and the Pioneer machines all offer high speed dubbing

with sky+ now broadcasting in 5.1 I think 5.1 recording will be common on DVDR

High speed dubbing at different record rates

better menu facilities

I don't like how you have to fwd to edit you should be able to more easily control where you are within a recording whilst editing

don't get me wrong I would obviously prefer the HS2 but I do not think the upgrade is worth the money it would cost

I also think the HS2 is way over priced at the minute I think it's price will tumble in the next 6 months

The hs2 won't get much cheaper as it is already available at nearly half its original retail price and its successor the E100 is now available in the shops and on line for around £850.

Fot the money it is a superb piece of kit, which once you have bougth it will wonder how you managed before without it!

i am really really tempted

the E100 is only £150 more expensive than the HS2 though

cheapest I can find the HS2 is 539 multiregion

i will see if any of my friends / family want my e30

sorry the first place i checked, multiregion magic had the hs2 at 600 and the e100 at 769

769 is about the cheapest i've seen actually

You've done your job well

I am now thinking of getting the HS2 and keeping the E30 to put with the 2nd sky box. This would allow timeshifting which should keep the mrs happy.

My old tosh 210 broke a few weeks ago so I was going to get a multiregion to put with it anyway

The only thing that is stopping me is that I do think the price will drop soon for the factors I've mentioned before.

Much cheaper alternatives and the fact it is not that much more than the E100.

Saying that other than the extra 40Gb drive it doesn't seem to offer much more that is of use. As I have sky+ the extra 40Gb isn't much use I can pay an extra £60 to put a 120Gb HD in Sky+

decisions, decisions

Originally posted by hornydragon
Sky+ and HS2 with new dual record less useful as before dual record you could have done this.

this is a very good point which I hadn't considered.

will this have an effect on the price I wonder.

You can get the HS2 for £549.
Dual record is excellent on Sky+,but as it offers no editing facilities its not really aimed at the same market as the HS2 and others

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom