1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E30 problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bobbles, Nov 30, 2003.

1. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received a batch of discs from SVP. They were recommended for the E30. I was a bit dubious as they claimed to be x2 speed.

I tried the entering disc name trick to see if they were ok. Unfortunately not. It has taken me a long time to eject the thing

Do these x2 x4 discs work in the Panasonic or are they only for PC use?

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tried the putting in a reliable -r trick

this worked on the next new one I tried much to my amazement

I usually use the datawrite tubs of yellow but these seem in short supply at the moment. So I tried these datasafe as the claimed to use the ritex dye

I bought 100 of these

yes even I am shocked at my stupidity at times

what do you think, send them back or give them a try. Could it have been just unlucky first disc?

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Well I was reading an article the other day on DVD media. The jist of the story reads that the big manufacturers of media TDK Maxell etc. sell on a lot of their graded stuff to whoever wants to buy it i.e. media that falls below acceptable standards - hence it's sold as graded. When people see cheap media and think they are getting a bargain, what they are really getting in most cases are seconds. I would rather pay the £19.99 for ten genuine Panasonic disks - never had one failure to date, and quality is first rate.

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean. However, I have only ever had 1 coaster that wasn't my fault from the datawrite yellow tubs. I think I have bought 4 tubs of 50. So that is a pretty impressive success rate 99.5% and they cost around 60p per disc.

5. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bobbles, are these the g03 or g04 dye? and what brand are they? If they are the overprints then they will have a slightly higher failure rate than normal but should still work out cheaper in the long run.

EDIT-
    They work fine. Any speed is ok, the panny just burns along at it's own rate. If anything x2 or x4 should be higher quality dye.

6. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I know these are not the cheapest but Morrisons are selling 10 Maxell -R for £15, choice of cases, I think this the same as RSounds.
    Nice to see them at reasonable prices "locally".

7. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not bad at all considering high street prices of £5 or more a disc less than a year ago!

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tested them all in the end, took a while

Only 40 worked of the 100. So I set the 60 back and went for some more expensive Ritek ones.

Datasafe have burnt their bridge with me

these were the discs by the way

{DV 329} DATASAFE RITEK 1x-2x (Same Ritek dye as Traxdata) 4.7GB DVD-R disc in Packs of 25
    Ritek based DVD-R are always in huge demand due to the quality of their media.

Datasafe Media commissioned a quantity of DVD-R from the Ritek factory. The disk has the same dye as the highly rated Traxdata DVD-R.

The top of this disc is white and silver with a branded surface displaying the Datasafe Media logo.

Suggested for use on the following hardware: Pioneer 103/A03, 104/A04, 105/A05, 106/A06, Panasonic E20, E30, HS2, Sony DRU500a, Sony PS2, X-Box, NEC ND-1300a.

This disc will only write at 1x on ALL Official Pioneer firmware revisions but all other manucatures will allow the disc to write at 2x.

ADVDINFO: .RITEKG..03.

These discs come to us in packs of 25.

Shipping cost will be calculated and displayed by the website before you finalise your order.

Price: £14.45 Including VAT at 17.5%

9. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, it seems they have got worse and worse. To think that the g03 ritek dye used in these was so popular that there was a world wide shortage of it around a year ago. Also once known as far and away the most reliable "budget" media out there. Then for some reason only known to themselves the withdraw it from the market??? then due to such great demand release it again, but it seems quality control has been lost in the process.

I mean only 40 out of 100 disks isn't just bad it's a joke.

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe they couldn't make a profit so are cutting corners