E30 extended warranty advise please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by malcom, Sep 9, 2003.

1. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi. As expected now my E30 is nearly 12 months old I have recieved an extended warranty offer from Comet.

I don't normally bother with such but this time I am tempted. For two main reasons. The quote I think could be a lot worse. Second I have used the E30 extensively and will continue to do so. Therfore I think the possibility of wear and tear breakdown is much more than when I was using VHS.

The offer is annualy £49 but if I pay by direct debit then that is reduced to £39. The onus would of course be on me to cancel if I did not want further renewal the following years.

I would appreciate what others think. for or against any comments and advice welcome. My gut feeling is to go for it. Am I right or wrong...:confused:

2. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Malcom,
    I also received an extended warranty offer from Hitachi finance (through Electrical Discount) and their quote was £31 which I though was to good to turn down considering I also have been using my Panny E30 almost daily and much higher than I ever did a VHS recorder therefore more chance of a fault. At the end of the day for £31 its piece of mind for another year. By then the recorders will be so low in price you can forget the warranty and replace if it ever goes wrong!

Just my opinion.

3. pd45

pd45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I honestly would not bother with extended warranties, they are a blatant rip-off. Buy goods by using a credit card and I know most will add on a years free warranty for free, although in your case your player is a year old now. Look at how much you paid for the product in the first place! If it generally hasnt gone wrong in the first year the consensus is it won't (until general wear and tear) sets in.
    Regards

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Ditto. If it breaks within the first few months you can argue the point under Sales of Goods legislation. If it doesn't break in that time something like the E50 will probably be fine. It's a risk - but not MUCH of a risk.