1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E30 Ext Link button, is there a point?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Faust, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Am I missing the point of the Ext Link 1&2 functions on the Panny DMRE30? Someone stated on another forum that it was a great function to use in conjunction with the Sky box for timer recordings?? When I tried to use this function when I first bought the Panny that was not my experience. If I press the Ext link buttton on the front of the unit, having already set the menus in set up to Ext link 2, the Panny will start to record from Sky straight away if the Sky box is turned on. If I use the personal planner to do a timed recording, set it to auto view, turn off the Sky box, and press the Ext button, then yes the Sky box turns the E30 on alright. However, the usual problem of audio only being recorded comes into play because the unit is set to RGB. The only way round that little problem that I know of is to set everything to video and not RGB. To sum up then, you cannot watch or have the sky box turned on with Ext link selected, and if you use Sky autoview with Panny set to RGB then you get audio only, so I ask again am I missing something here??

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    On the E50 I can use the external link to record of my freeview box.

I set the timers on the freeview box and put the E50 into standby with ext link showing on the display. When the freview box wakes up, the E50 goes into record and stop recording when the freeview box switches off at the end of the timer.

It is useful when you need to set the timer for different channels.

I normally just record from one channel so I just leave the freeview box on the right channel. I then set the timer in the E50 and to record AV2.

I have the freeview box set to RGB and AV1!/AV2 to RGB. I then record in RGB.

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I can understand you doing that with the Freeview box. However, with the Sky box you can just set the EPG with autoview, but leave the box turned on, it will change the channel for you. All you need to do then is set timer on E30. That way you can still use the Sky box until the prog starts, and it wll record in RGB. With Sky, if you put the digi box in standby it will only record the audio signal when the prog starts using RGB - if anyone knows any different please say so. I go back to my point though which is what real use is the Ext link with a Sky box? as the Ext link stops you using the Sky box for none timed viewing i.e. if you bring the digi box out of standby the E30 starts to record.

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  5. geordie

geordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ext link autoview recording Sky in RGB

Interesting, just posted this on the other forum:

Presumably it should be possible to configure a cable with one scart at one end (for the HDD/DVD recorder) and with two scarts at the other end (for the Sky box), so that the switching pin circuit can be added to the RGB scart? Both Sky box scarts would then be used to connect to the HDD/DVD recorder, so there would be no direct scart to tv connection, although S-video or composite outputs could be used when watching something on Sky and while using the HDD/DVD for something else. It should also be possible to still connect the non-RGB scart output from the sky box to the TV (minus the switching circuit), with a special cable having one scart divert its switching circuit to the second cable, if you follow my meaning? Anyone tried this? A challenge for a DIY electrician perhaps?

6. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Hmm... I'll have to double check this, but I have the TV output from my Sky box going to a JS Tech RGB-SVideo converter. I then scart the SVideo to AV2 on my E30 and take the RGB signal to my Plasma (via Keene Scart Commander and JS Tech RGB-VGA) and unless I'm terribly mistaken I have no problem using Ext Link with my Sky box.

Rob.