E3 2021: Ten of the Best

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Two immediate thoughts spring to mind:

1. Maybe don't pre-order Starfield. Just a suggestion. You know. Maybe wait until Bethesda have definitely released a working game. Definitely. Working. As advertised. With "16x the detail."

2. I hope the character designers for the GotG game feel ashamed of themselves. Those are some ugly flippin' models. I get they can't use likenesses under the licence, but surely there's a middle ground between Chris Pratt and Logan Paul... maybe just don't give Rocket a little beard plait?
At least it'll be fun to play as Groo-...oh. You can only be Starlord. Awesome. The character with the least interesting powers in the team. Sheesh. All sorts of balls being dropped there.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
:
1. Maybe don't pre-order Starfield. Just a suggestion. You know. Maybe wait until Bethesda have definitely released a working game. Definitely. Working. As advertised. With "16x the detail."
I don’t think you need to worry about pre-orders. 27 of the 30 games shown at the Xbox & Bethesda showcase are all hitting Game Pass, Starfield included. I’m actually not a big Bethesda fan, but I’ll be dipping my toe in a lot more games that I normally wouldn’t entertain spending money on. The same applies to the indie stuff like Replaced, The Ascent and Psychonauts 2.

Last edited:

King Tones

Distinguished Member
:

I don’t think you need to worry about pre-orders. 20 of the 30 games show at the Xbox & Bethesda showcase are all hitting Game Pass, Starfield included. I’m actually. It a big Bethesda fan, but I’ll be dipping my toe in a lot more games that I normally wouldn’t entertain spending money on. The same applies to indie stuff like Replaced, The Ascent and Psychonauts 2.

27 of the 30 I believe, Far Cry 6 and BF2042 being 2 of them that won't be.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Ha! Well that'll be interesting for the game then. Feels like even less reason for them to release a finished product if they're not banking on people buying individual copies. I'm genuinely not going to hope for playable game on day 1. Or maybe even day 100.
Fool me 7 times, shame on me. Fool me 8 or more times, shame on you.

Edit: I will say, I bet there's one thing that will be flawlessly implemented on day one: the in-game store.

MrMrH

I would also consider Hades coming to Playstation and Xbox as a very considerable mention.

Kotatsu Neko

Psychonauts 2 looked wonderful. I loved the original back in the day (and I'm playing through it again now on my Series X) and this new one looks like they've turned everything up to 11. When Double Fine are great they're amongst the best out there.

There was an indie game called Replaced which looked really interesting too.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
27 of the 30 I believe, Far Cry 6 and BF2042 being 2 of them that won't be.
Yeah, that’s what I meant to type. Damn these stubby fingers!

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
I'm not into racing games at all, but Forza Horizon 5 looks amazing graphically.

Starfield there wasn't enough revealed to make me care about.

GotG looked fun (yes I agree with Tom the character models look a bit pants) but as it's out around same time as BF2042 it won't get a look in for months.

JohnnyMN

Was really hoping to see Avowed and Fable since I'm an RPG nut. Intrigued by Starfield but Mr Davies has a point. I had Skyrim on PS3 before I bought the 360 version. What a mess that was on that console.

Captain Ron

On the Switch front it was great to see BOTW2 is coming along nicely. Those new abilities look tasty and I did genuinely lol when I saw bokoblins riding a stone talus. Who taught them that?! 🤣 I'm also looking forward to Metroid Dread. Slightly disappointed that we didn't get confirmation of a Metroid Prime Trilogy port but that may be saved for nearer the release of Metroid Prime 4.

Slinkywizard

Two immediate thoughts spring to mind:

2. I hope the character designers for the GotG game feel ashamed of themselves. Those are some ugly flippin' models. I get they can't use likenesses under the licence, but surely there's a middle ground between Chris Pratt and Logan Paul... maybe just don't give Rocket a little beard plait?
At least it'll be fun to play as Groo-...oh. You can only be Starlord. Awesome. The character with the least interesting powers in the team. Sheesh. All sorts of balls being dropped there.
I think I might just be getting old but barely anything here excites me. Co-op shooters? No thanks. Nintendo stuff? Nah. Forza Horizon 5 is just more of the same. Starfield, as you rightly point out, is certain to be horribly broken for months or even years after release. And honestly, when the last great game Bethesda made (Skyrim) came out more than ten years ago I have no faith at all. Even the 'cinematic' trailer shows an engine that looks outdated and janky.

And after the APPALLING Avengers game, it's pretty hard to care about a short-ass, linear GotG title where, as you say, the characters are all wrong, and from the looks of it the gameplay as generic as an off-brand caterpillar cake.

Stalker interests me. If it follows in the footsteps of the original it's going to be more than just a shooter, and a heck of a lot deeper than the horribly average Metro titles. So hopes for that. Otherwise, it all looks rather boring.

The only real exception is Elden Ring. I'm a Soulsborne superfan, so that's been on my radar for an age.

Kotatsu Neko

Forza Horizon 5 is just more of the same.

I just don't get that attitude. What were you expecting? That's like complaining that a Street Fighter game is just more fighting.

Slinkywizard

I just don't get that attitude. What were you expecting? That's like complaining that a Street Fighter game is just more fighting.
I mean it's more of the same and I personally have played all the Forza Horizon I every will short of something truly revolutionary, which it's not.

Mensy

Distinguished Member
E3 was pants nothing making me wanna buy a next gen console until 2022/2023

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
You mean there will be no Star Citizen this year.....?????

Colour me shocked.

Looking forward to Far Cry 6, though I still think Far Cry 3 is the best one they did.....

steviedr

Distinguished Member

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
George W still cracks me up all these years later

And well all thought this was as low as America could go.

Forza Horizon could be the game I buy a next-gen console for. Looks amazing, but was surprised we got another Horizon before a new Motorsport. After all the free-roaming, I was rather hoping for some circuit racing which I surprisingly miss.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Very underwhelming and E3 is losing it's touch year by year, Bethesda games are not my cup of tea but understand there is a lot of love there. Personally wish Microsoft purchased SquareEnix or something else...

It's pretty much just a bunch of shooter games and the new IP's don't contain video gameplay, Guardians seems to be the only single player game and after Avengers I'm being cautious.

SunnyIntervals

Games take so long to develop now, and gamers expectations keep getting higher. I don't envy the developers these days.

But I'm surprised about the Starfield release date. They actually know, in the middle of 2021, that this game will be completely ready in another 18 months - to the day? Hmmm.

E3 does feel a bit irrelevant these days, but hopefully all the gaming and tech shows will be in the real world next year, with actual people attending.

Slinkywizard

Games take so long to develop now, and gamers expectations keep getting higher. I don't envy the developers these days.

But I'm surprised about the Starfield release date. They actually know, in the middle of 2021, that this game will be completely ready in another 18 months - to the day? Hmmm.

E3 does feel a bit irrelevant these days, but hopefully all the gaming and tech shows will be in the real world next year, with actual people attending.
Honestly I don't thinl you can put the toothpaste back in the tube and I would be very surprised if there is ever another E3. Online presentations on their own schedule have been shown to work, and their impact more easily measured. E3 is done IMO.

raduv1

Distinguished Member

We have the CODs , Fifa , and many regular franchises every yeah to sustain the majority of gamers year in year out on the assembly line process.

I like that certain studios take that time to deliver a game to remember and gamepass is a game changer for games.

SunnyIntervals

I don't have an Xbox, so for me game pass is nothing. My point about Starfield was simply that it feels way too early to give a release date when so many games suffer delays for all sorts of reasons. It sounded like MS wanted to give their gamers something tangible about the game, but I will be impressed if it is actually released on that date.

I have no problem with developers taking their time; look at Rockstar, the last new GTA game was released in 2013!

I hope shows do return next year, whether its games, tech, phones, tv's - you can't beat being there, or at least having journalists on site and getting hands on with new stuff.

jdevil

Distinguished Member

Except I don't understand how we can have a yearly Assassins' Creed/Fifa or COD game, where as other developers take several years 5+. Except for Fifa, the other two games tend to have good graphics and improvements each year.

Apparently Valhalla took 2 years to complete, a game of that size with the huge maps, characters, stories and side quest is impressive IMO even during lockdown.

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

KEF adds Ci160ES to Architectural Speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Smart Start offer grants access to premium TV apps
  • By Andy Bassett