E3 - 2014

Our Year

Distinguished Member
Microsoft – June 9, 9:30 AM PST / 12:30 PM EST
Phil Spencer recently took over as head of Xbox, and Microsoft's Major Nelson has stated that they are "bringing the games". Everything points to Microsoft coming out guns blazing at E3. With the Xbox One falling over two million sales behind the PS4, and already losing in North America, now's the time to strike.

We expect to see a price drop to $399 which will likely remove the disc drive (making it 100% digital), or the Kinect. A white SKU, which many gamers have been asking for, is likely. It might be digital-focused with a 1TB hard drive.

Games that are certain to be shown include Halo 5, Gears of War 4 (CGI trailer), Sunset Overdrive,Fable Legends, and Quantum Break. But there are definitely other titles to be debuted, including aHalo 2 HD Anniversary Edition for Xbox One. Also, a Forza Horizon 2 is rumored to be coming during Fall of this year.

DirectX 12 is apparently a big deal, and should incorporated into the show in order to combat some of Sony's success in the graphical progression side of the market. Additionally, indie developers should get some show time given their growing popularity with gamers and Microsoft's [email protected] program.

EA – June 9, 12 PM PST / 3 PM EST
EA shared its financials for the 2013 fiscal year last week and it was mostly positive news despite quite a few hiccups (hi SimCity). Its sports IPs, including NBA 2K and Madden, have continued to sell by the bucket loads. An EA UFC is definitely in the cards, too. If you enjoy sports games, there should be plenty of them at the show.

What you might not know is EA has confirmed that six new projects will be debuted during its E3 press conference. It's done a good job keeping the lid tight on information so little is known. These games might include Visceral's Star Wars game, the new Battlefield, and even Mass Effect 4. If we had to bet, Mirror's Edge 2 could be the biggest of EA's showings. Gamers have been excited for it, and EA is fully aware.

Ouside of rumors, Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Sims 4, and Star Wars: Battlefront are guaranteed.

It goes without saying that EA's press conference will, as usual, be long and full of games.

Ubisoft – June 9, 3 PM PST / 6 PM EST
The Division and Assassin's Creed: Unity will definitely be at the show, and we expect them to shock gamers with impressive gameplay demos. The Crew is also guaranteed to be part of the show.

Furious 4 might be targeted for 2015, but Ubisoft could show new gameplay footage to build hype. But the biggest reveal will likely be Far Cry 4. It's known to exist, and is apparently set in the Himalayas with "rideable elephants". Despite knowing this detail, nobody has seen it outside Ubisoft's offices. It sounds exciting and would be a great demonstration of Ubisoft's focus on the new Unreal Engine 4, which Assassin's Creed: Unity will be utilizing.

A new Just Dance, which could strike an exclusivity deal with Microsoft, and maybe even a next-genRayman could also make the show.

Sony – June 9, 6 PM PT / 9 PM ET
Right at the end of Monday Sony will unload what it's been working on for the past year. Uncharted 4 is certain to take the breath out of the room, supported by the absolutely gorgeous Fall 2014 exclusive, The Order: 1886.

As for rumors, a new IP by Killzone developer Guerrilla Games is said to be ready for the show.Project Beast, the recently leaked From Software game, is also rumored. God of War 4, a Syphon Filter reboot, Quantic Dream's next-gen game, and a Gran Turismo 6 prologue are all high possibilities, but little has been said of them.

Then there's The Last Guardian. It was revealed what seems like aeons ago, but has disappeared in what appears to be development hell. However, Sony has continued to say that it's still in development. We believe it made the transition from PS3 to PS4 a couple of years ago, and Sony will reveal it this E3. If true, there's reason to believe that it'll be the kind of game that demonstrates the PS4's incredible power.

Some of the show will be eaten up by virtual reality, starring Project Morpheus. The hardware is still not quite ready for launch, so pricing and release details are unlikely. However, there have been rumblings that LittleBigPlanet developer Media Molecule is working on a huge AAA game for Morpheus. Now that could be huge.

Nintendo (Digital Event) – June 10, 9 AM PST / 12 PM EST
Nintendo has a lot it needs to accomplish at E3. Despite this, it has opted for a digital only event, meaning there will be no huge press conference for media to attend.

Nonetheless, Nintendo is in the process of re-tailoring its strategy, and that means there are sure to be some wild announcements during their event. They have spoken about "Quality of Life" during the past few months, but everything said about it is confusing and a bit convoluted. All we know is it isn't gaming focused, and instead a move to push Nintendo beyond gaming culture by offering Health, Education, and Lifestyle products.

The Wii U is on its last legs but could get some huge support with a new The Legend of Zelda, a game that has been in development for more than two years. Bayonetta 2 will definitely make an appearance given it's the platform's biggest third-party game of 2014. Metroid would be a good fit as well.

The 3DS is selling well, but has begun to slow down. There aren't too many releases planned for the rest of 2014, so Nintendo should reveal a new line of software that's coming to the platform. That's sure to include more footage of the newly announced Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (which is being debuted tonight, May 10th). For the heck of it, let's toss Star Fox in the pot for good measure.

Our Year

Distinguished Member
Leaks Sony

• Uncharted PS4 3 Minute Trailer showcasing ”In-engine” footage interspersed with gameplay segments. Visuals are supposedly unprecedented and set a benchmark for console graphics. Summer 2015 release date. It looks absolutely stellar. Features tropical setting and differing time periods with Nate/Francis.
  • Media Molecule’s new title will be a landmark title for Morpheus. 3D world building, beautiful, quirky visuals.Extremely creative and fun. Possibly related to the ”Entwined” trademark filed last week by SCE (not sure). Late 2015.
  • Gran Turismo 6 is coming to PS4 as 1080p 60FPS repackaged title in the vein of Gran Turismo 7: Prologue. Stunning visuals, extra features (social connectivity, new tracks, dlc etc). Coming mid-late 2015.
  • God of War 4 teaser will be present – will be CG with snippets of in-engine footage. A little early for reveal, but is designed to offset negativity surrounding canceled new IP and generate excitement – also to partially offset CG announce of Gears of War at Microsoft presser. Late 2015. Date wont be announced.
  • Kill Strain trademark is related to Syphon Filter reboot for PS4. Sony Bend working on revamping the franchise. Stealth, beautiful visuals and a possible Winter 2014 title. Bend finally getting to join the big boys.
  • Wipeout is also making the transition to PS4. Source is unsure of who is developing it, but hints that it could be Sony London, Evolution, or Firesprite.
  • Quantic Dream has a trailer prepared – unsure whether it is penciled in for Gamescom or E3. Sony will be watching Microsoft’s presser earlier in the day to gauge whether additional titles will need to be slotted in to dampen hype. Expect Dark Sorcerer- like visuals in real time. Off-topic, but still relevant – they are close to deal to become a Worldwide Studios developer, along with Ready At Dawn.
  • Speaking of Ready At Dawn, The Order:1886 will get a stage demo. Big title for Fall 2014. Sony is expecting great things from said title – franchise hopes rest on its performance.
  • Ninja Theory working on a PS4 exclusive – possible Heavenly Sword sequel which was shelved a number of years ago. Quite far into development.
  • Sony London will be at E3. First AAA title in many years. 3rd person title. Gorgeous. They’re back with a bang,
  • Guerrilla Games bringing their RPG to E3. Provocative setting – very interesting. Insane visuals as usual. A good reaction to the title is expected. Will please the hardcore.
  • Sucker Punch busy at work on an inFAMOUS: Second Son DLC. Really cool. New powers. Possible new setting. E3 debut.
  • Sony Japan Studios debuting two, maybe even three titles. Project Beast – spiritual successor to Demon Souls. The other is The Last Guardian. Retooled for PS4, possible Winter 2014 title. The Other title is shrouded in secrecy.
  • Evolution will give Driveclub some time in the limelight. It’s shaping up to be incredible with jaw-dropping visuals. Demo release will be timed with the press conference.
The source also mentioned that the following publishers will be on stage: Ubisoft, Electronic Arts, Konami, Capcom, Warner Bros, Activision, Square Enix, Take Two.

(Update: our source followed up to clarify that he’s actually not 100% sure if Rockstar will actually be on stage or Sony will just announce the next generation Ground Theft Auto V on their behalf)

There will also big titles announced for the Instant Game Collection, a segment on Project Morpheus, one on the Sony Entertainment Network and a re-introduction of PlayStation Now. Price drops will also be unveiled for the PS3 and PS Vita.

We’ll also see several smaller-scale, downloadable titles and some HD collections. PS Vita Vita will get some attention, but not much – as it’ll be a PS4 show. PS3 will get a montage and few new titles. Finally, the show will close with a teaser of a sequel of The Last of Us.

Our Year

Distinguished Member
Leak Microsoft
  • Ryse 2 is in development and will be announced at the show in a real-time in-game trailer. Gone is the Roman period, enter the medieval setting. The game will offer more freedom of exploration and a refined combat system. The main character is a sell-sword of sorts with a greater destiny. This game looks beyond belief. No release date (possibly late 2016)
  • Forza Horizon 2 will be announced for release in October 2014 vai Playground Games. It will once again be open world and set in Louisiana, Missisips, New Mexico, Texas and Arkansas. Full day/night cycle, real time weather. Estimated 80 hour single player.
  • 343 Industries will unveil Halo 2: Anniversary. This is a full (multiplayer included) visual makeover of Halo 2, it will also include the same options as Halo Anniversary (Including both visual modes) skulls etc. It will include the E3 2003 mission as a bonus unlockable and the maps from the PC version.
  • No Turn 10 this year except in supportive capacity of Playground.
  • Halo 5 will get its release date.
  • Rare is prepping a re-boot of Battletoads and Perfect Dark. BT will initially be a download only title (see Killer Instinct) and is set to run at 60fps. Perfect Dark is looking to be rebooted into a Third Person Adventure game - Similar to Uncharted.
  • Epic will be there to unveil their new game base on the Samaritan demo from 2012. This will be XBOX ONE EXCLUSIVE as Microsoft is the publisher. Possibly the best looking game of this generation.
  • Good Science Studios will unveil their Kinect Only game "EchoBlack" - The game is controlled via the use of Kinect and the player plots through an adventure game drawn as by echolocation. The vibrancy of the world depicted alters depending on the pitch, loudness and location of the players voice. No release date.
  • Twisted Pixel will reveal their next digital game which is set in a sci-fantasy planet of Dekelsus. Possibly a 2.5D platformer.
  • Black Tusk will have a CGI trailer for Gears of War : Lazurus which will show the direction the series is heading.
  • Lift London will be showing 2 projects. They are small and digital based. No other details unfortunately.
  • Lionhead will have a brief gameplay of Fable Legends and bow out with a teaser of their next project which is set in a post-cataclysmic Earth decimated by egg shaped objects (possibly aliens)
  • Frontier Development is working on a family friendly Kinect title for release in 2014
  • Phantom Dust : Sacrifice is being worked on by Grounding Inc and will be a prequel to the original. The game will be episodic in nature.
  • Quantum Break will be out November 2014 - There is a multiplayer mode - Part 1 of a trilogy. The game has had a significant graphical upgrade since last year.
  • Sunset Overdrive is aiming for release on the last weeks of August/Early September. Graphically it looks like the CG trailer and the Parkour element of the game is a mix of Sonic, Jet Set Radio and Ratchet and Clank.
  • The secret Japanese game is coming from Platinum Games and is a Viewtiful Joe like action- beat em up. Codename is "RugPuddle". This is part one of a multiple game deal with Microsoft to publish other titles in the future.
  • Leap Experience Pioneers will announce their game which looks like a TPS/RPG hybrid set in a Sci-fi universe. Looks very Mass Effect inspired. COMING 2015
  • Platform Next Games is a new studio. They will be presenting an unnamed tech demo based on an upcoming project (similar to Black Tusks demo last year) which appears to be set in either an ancient or fantasy setting.
  • Games With Gold will be announced for Xbox One starting immediately. The aim is that it will be 1 retail game a month, 1 digital game per month of a choice of 2. This will evolve as time goes on.
  • Microsoft will announce the date when retail units can be activated as development kits, it will be before October 2014.
  • Crackdown: Skyline - Coming 2015 - No other info, not even the developer. Microsoft Studios.
  • Multi-platforms are as follows:
The Division (Xbox One is now lead platform)
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Fallout 4
EA game (not specified here)

Exclusive/Timed DLC on all.

holtehero

Distinguished Member
Like the idea of a Syphon Filter reboot

Don't like the idea of the X1 being the lead platform for "The Division"

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
thats a line up if accurate, im excited.

wipeout on ps4.

lELQDtL.gif

Can't wait to see Halo 5, Sunset overdrive looks cool and interested to see the new Ryse, liking the sound of the Chivalry type vibe. Looking at the Sony stuff hoping to see something that will interest me enough to pick up the PS4, nothing so far has made me want one. XB1 is looking strong on them lineups. Any multi plat will of course pick up on PC anyway, but i really enjoyed Ryse and also love Forza 5, had alot of use from my XB1 so far.

kav

Distinguished Member
There's a lot of speculation over how accurate those leaks are. Would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
E3 never feels like a big event for PC gamers. Might we see GTA V for PC? Something Occulus Rift? Steam Machines?

Battletoads... really..?

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
For me it looks really boring, XYZ 456.

I guess I go back in my indie corner......

Our Year

Distinguished Member
How To Tell When An E3 Rumor Is Fake

E3 starts in less than four weeks, which means it's prime season for ridiculous rumors about all the games that will show up this year. (Final Fantasy XV! The Last Guardian! Halo 5!)P

Seeing crazy rumors float around the web can be fun, but it always sucks to get SUPER EXCITED for, say, a Fallout 4 appearance at E3, only to find out that you're just being fooled by some teenager with Photoshop and way too much time on his hands.P

Don't worry. We're here to help you out. I've put together a list of signs that the E3 rumor you're reading might not be true. Feel free to use this for reference any time you see a wild rumor for the next few weeks. It'll help.P

Sign 1: It's a giant list of games.P
When looking at a rumor, it's helpful to ask yourself one big question: Who would actually be in a position to know all of this information? If the answer is "nobody," the rumor probably isn't true. P

So for example, this silly list of "first party" games—complete with that oh-so-convincing "NDA" in the corner—is a clear fake not just because it's really dumb, but because there is nobody in the world who would make or have a list like this.P

l1sypk4geegcudhkh6f9.jpg

Don't count on seeing "The Legend of Zelda: Shard of Nightmare" this year, or anything else you might see on a giant "leaked list" of E3 presser announcements. These decisions are constantly in flux, and bullet-pointed lists of game names are the easiest thing in the world to fake. P

Sign 2: You're looking at an angled, blurry picture of a screen.P
I don't know how this trend started, but for some reason, people like creating fake images and taking slanted, blurry pictures of them. Maybe it seems more authentic than just sharing the image straight-up? Anyway, this is almost always a sign that you're looking at a fake.P

This photo from last year, for example:p

atq4ciic06uoyurxlgno.jpg

Sign 3: The source of the rumor is a prophet.P
Here's a fun story: a few months ago, I got an e-mail from someone who said he was responsible for writing up one of the big fake E3 2o13 rumor lists that had floated around NeoGAF and other gaming sites last year. We exchanged a few e-mails, and I eventually asked him where he'd come up with all that stuff. Here's his response, verbatim, with names removed to protect his identity:p

Well, where I got the original info I'd posted plus all of what I just told you isn't your usual typical industry source. Because of this I'm not bound to any NDA's keeping me from talking about it. I've gone this far so I'll tell you what that source is. For most of my adult life I have had a VERY string gut intuition. Now, sometimes there's misses of course but it's right far more often than not. Over the years I've known about all kinds of major gaming announcements months before they happened. When my intuition kicks in I see flashes of what will happen, like pictures. In the [GAME NAMES] cases I saw flashes of the translated English versions plus flashes of the actual people involved in the deals sitting in the room making them. As to my shocker [GAME NAME] statement all I can tell you is that's what I was seeing flashes of-and very vividly at that which is why my mouth dropped open when I saw it was [GAME NAME] [STUDIO] was doing. I didn't sit down beforehand going "Let's see what I can write about [GAME NAMES]." I was writing what I saw as I saw it. As a further example, I knew Mega Man Legends 3 had been canned a bit before Capcom officially said it.P

If your rumor came from someone who saw it in a flash, it's probably not true.P

Sign 4: It looks like it was easy to make in Photoshop.P
Rumored unfinished promotional materials that look like they were really easy to make in Photoshop were usually just made in Photoshop.P

Here's one from last year:p

yqq2j7euotth2k90uqw9.jpg

(Resident Evil 7 was not announced at E3 2013.)P

Sign 5: It sounds like fanboy drivel.P
As a general rule, when a list of E3 rumors is peppered with hyperbolic descriptors like "jaw-dropping visuals" and "setting a bench-mark for console graphics," it was probably created just to get excited fans to spread it across the web.P

Two big lists of "E3 announcements" from Sony and Microsoft circulated last week, and both were full of the type of breathless adjectives usually reserved for message boards and console wars. This is a good sign that they were not real.P

E3 is in four weeks. Stay skeptical, and as always, stay tuned to Kotaku as we help you sort out what's real and what isn't.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
I'm really hoping for a Wii U price cut at E3. There are some cracking games coming and I am a bit of a Ninty fanboy. They can't hang on to that £200+ price tag when the PS4 has now dipped below 300 squid. Would happily see tham pull an MS style U-turn and release a gamepad free version for a cheaper price.

Also looking forward to seeing The Division's downgraded visuals :rotfl:

holtehero

Distinguished Member
Also looking forward to seeing The Division's downgraded visuals :rotfl:
You would have to say after Watchdogs, that confidence in this looking anything like the E3 video of last year is all but gone

addyb

Distinguished Member
Looking forward to seeing some Uncharted 4 footage. Besides that not really a lot on the ps4 front that I don't already know about. Would like to see some more footage of bayonetta 2 on the Wii U and some smash Bros.

kav

Distinguished Member
I'm really hoping for a Wii U price cut at E3. There are some cracking games coming and I am a bit of a Ninty fanboy. They can't hang on to that £200+ price tag when the PS4 has now dipped below 300 squid. Would happily see tham pull an MS style U-turn and release a gamepad free version for a cheaper price.

Same, I'm thinking it's bound to hit <£150 soon.

stument

Distinguished Member
Dead Rising 3 coming to PC

aslird

Distinguished Member
Looking forward to seeing some Dragon Age stuff, maybe even some Mass Effect 4 information.

aslird

Distinguished Member
All times PDT (-10 hours i think)

Day1
9:30am – Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing

11:00am – Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing Post show

11:30pm – Hotline Miami 2 (Dennaton Games/Devolver Digital)

12:00pm – EA World Premiere: E3 2014 Preview

1:00pm – EA Special Event

2:00pm – EA World Premiere: E3 2014 Post show

2:30pm – Bethesda (Unannounced title)

3:00pm – Ubisoft 2014 E3 Media Briefing

4:00pm – Ubisoft 2014 E3 Media Briefing Post show

4:30pm – Witcher 3 (CD Projekt RED)

5:00pm – Dying Light (Techland)

5:30pm – Final thoughts

6:00pm – PlayStation E3 2014 Press Conference

Day 2

9:00am – Nintendo Digital Event

10:00am – Deep Silver (Unannounced title)

10:15am – Deep Silver (Unannounced title)

10:30am – Dragon Age: Inquisition (EA)

11:00am – Ubisoft (Unannounced title)

11:20am – The Division (Ubisoft)

11:40am – Farcry 4 (Ubisoft)

12:00pm – Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Activision)

12:20pm – Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)

12:40pm – Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)

1:00pm – DRIVECLUB (SCEA)

1:20pm – Evil Within (Bethesda)

1:40pm – Lords of the Fallen (NAMCO)

2:00pm – Destiny (Activision/BUNGIE)

2:20pm – The Order: 1886 (SCEA)

2:40pm – Nintendo Demo

3:00pm – Evolve Special Tournament (2K)

4:00pm – Super Smash Bros. Invitational (Nintendo)

Day 3

10:00am – Alienware

10:30am – Twitch Time

11:00am – Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac Games/Microsoft Studios)

11:20am – [email protected] (Unannounced title)

11:40am – Killer Instinct: Season Two (Iron Galaxy/Microsoft Studios)

12:00pm – Square Enix (Unannounced title)

12:20pm – Square Enix (Unannounced title)

12:40pm – H1Z1 (Sony Online Entertainment)

1:00pm – EA (Unannounced title)

1:20pm – Batman: Arkham Knight (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)

1:40pm – Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)

2:10pm – Nintendo Demo

2:30pm – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (Unannounced title)

2:50pm – Crytek (Unannounced title)

3:00pm – SCEA (Unannounced title)

3:15pm – SCEA (Unannounced title)

3:30pm – Hohokum (Honeyslug, SCE Santa Monica Studio)

3:45pm – Helldivers (Arrowhead Game Studios/Sony Computer Entertainment)

4:00pm – Alien Isolation (The Creative Assembly/SEGA)

4:20pm – Civilization: Beyond Earth (2K)

4:40pm – Diablo III: Reaper of Souls – Ultimate Evil Edition on PS4 (Blizzard)

5:00pm – Evolve Special Tournament (2K)

Day 4

10:00am – Tetris w/creator Alexey Pajitnov

10:15am – Zombies Monsters Robots (Ying Pei Games)

10:30am – Guinness World Records – certificate presentation

11:00am – Fable Legends (LionHead/Microsoft Studios)

11:20am – #IDARB ([email protected])

11:40am – Project Spark (Team Dakota/Microsoft Studios)

12:00pm – Nintendo (Unannounced title)

12:20am – Square Enix (Unannounced title)

12:40pm – PlanetSide 2 PS4 Edition (Sony Online Entertainment)

1:00pm – 505 Games (TBD) 1:20pm – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (Unannounced title)

1:40pm – Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (Gearbox/2K)

2:00pm – Ubisoft (Unannounced title)

2:20pm – The Crew (Ubisoft)

2:40pm – Nintendo Demo

3:00pm – Tecmo Koei (Unannounced title)

3:20pm – Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes (Disney Interactive)

3:40pm – SEGA Sonic BOOM! (SEGA)

4:00pm – Evolve Special Tournament (2K)

Being streamed on Twitch - Twitch

Sega Mega Dave

Distinguished Member
I imagine so, it does looks much better than their previous work.

stument

Distinguished Member
This actually is Advanced Warfare... some of that weaponry is NUTS!

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom