E3 2014 - Xbox Media Briefing Aftermath

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, May has arrived now and that means One thing-E3 next month!

I'm expecting big things from MS @ E3 this year, after last year's disastrous XBOX Reveal, E3 and the weeks and months that followed.

I like Phil Spencer and he seems to have his finger on the XBOX Community's pulse, so I'm expecting him to guide his staff to great things (especially as Don Matt(p)rick is nowhere to be seen!).

They really need to pull out some big guns this E3 (and offer up the polar opposite of what they offered up last year), in terms of software, features, games and exclusives.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE HAVE PRELOADING OF DD GAMES EITHER SORTED BY THEN, OR READY TO ANNOUNCE AT E3! :laugh:

So, May has arrived now and that means One thing-E3 next month!

I'm expecting big things from MS @ E3 this year, after last year's disastrous XBOX Reveal, E3 and the weeks and months that followed.

I like Phil Spencer and he seems to have his finger on the XBOX Community's pulse, so I'm expecting him to guide his staff to great things (especially as Don Matt(p)rick is nowhere to be seen!).

They really need to pull out some big guns this E3 (and offer up the polar opposite of what they offered up last year), in terms of software, features, games and exclusives.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE HAVE PRELOADING OF DD GAMES EITHER SORTED BY THEN, OR READY TO ANNOUNCE AT E3! :laugh:

They had a good E3 last year, apart from the price didn't they?

I just hope they bring the games and it all works out. Dont think I could handle another post E3 like last year. I think I would have to retire from the Internet.

Hopefully games games games and games, please no TV, Sports, Kinect and certainly no Usher.

Really hoping for the following to be announced.
Fallout 4
Red Dead Redemption 2
New Hitman game
New Saints Row game (Please go back to the gameplay of the 2nd game, the 4th game was awful)
Single Player GTAV DLC would be nice
Oh and hopefully more new exclusives.

So glad Don Mattprick is not a Xbox anymore.

Hopefully games games games and games, please no TV, Sports, Kinect and certainly no Usher.

Really hoping for the following to be announced.
Fallout 4
Red Dead Redemption 2
New Hitman game
New Saints Row game (Please go back to the gameplay of the 2nd game, the 4th game was awful)
Single Player GTAV DLC would be nice
Oh and hopefully more new exclusives.

So glad Don Mattprick is not a Xbox anymore.

I want that game so much but also dont want it to spoil the first game

I reckon we will get Half Life 3 as a Xbox One Exclusive..........:lease:

There was a lot of negativity towards MS/Xbox One last year, but MS have been doing their best to fix it, also with Phil being in charge I can see Xbox being all about games 1st, god knows what it would be like if Don Mattprick was still in charge.

I don't think so, no.

The haters were in full flight by then and as Tones alluded to, the internet (not to mention AVF) started to melt with all the anti MS & XB1 stuff).

Yeah but E3 was ok, it was all about games. The price didn't help but the endless trolling was a result of the reveal and all the nonsense about second hand games, in my view at least.

I don't think that it was as a result of E3.

I think MS are in a strong position this time round. New leader for Xbox, a vision that is going to be games focussed and a clear steer from the new CEO that Xbox is a brand they want to push. Plus a stronger than forecast financial results from the last two quarters for Microsoft overall. Puts them in a position where they can come out and get on with announcing new games and plans.

HL3 being announced would be so sweet, but there is more chance of me waking up next to Kelly Brook than that happening.

I reckon we will get Half Life 3 as a Xbox One Exclusive..........:lease:

Yes, something exactly like this ^^ would be a master stroke for MS and the XB1.

In fact, I think an exclusive of HL3 would go down as the biggest and best E3 announcement, ever!

I can't think of another game off of the top of my head right now, that would literally make the whole gaming world sit up and take as much notice, as HL3.

Yeah but E3 was ok, it was all about games. The price didn't help but the endless trolling was a result of the reveal and all the nonsense about second hand games, in my view at least.

I don't think that it was as a result of E3.

It was certainly more about the games than the Reveal, but I don't think it was anything close to being "all about".

iwb100 said:
I think MS are in a strong position this time round. New leader for Xbox, a vision that is going to be games focussed and a clear steer from the new CEO that Xbox is a brand they want to push. Plus a stronger than forecast financial results from the last two quarters for Microsoft overall. Puts them in a position where they can come out and get on with announcing new games and plans.

I completely agree.

Yes, something exactly like this ^^ would be a master stroke for MS and the XB1.

In fact, I think an exclusive of HL3 would go down as the biggest and best E3 announcement, ever!

I can't think of another game off of the top of my head right now, that would literally make the whole gaming world sit up and take as much notice, as HL3.

Imagine Half Life Trilogy HD including CS just for Xbox One.................dont worry I will wake up soon.

Would be interesting to see what they go ahead and announce.

I can't see them actually bringing much new for core games that will be out before E3 2015.

I think we will see gameplay of Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break. Also I hope they announce Forza Horizon 2 by Playground Games (built on the Forza 5 engine).

Phil Spenser is also into smaller games and I think they will showcase some of the ID@Xbox games including games by Cappy like Below.

With regards to MS' internal studios Rare, Turn 10, Twisted Pixel all released games in the last 12 months so they will not likely have anything to show.

Black Tusk was just moved to work on Gears and studios like BigPark and Soho Productions are/were working on TV/app stuff.

Team Dakota is working on Project Spark. That's not a game I am interested in as I'm no good at creating things (I can see why games like Project Spark and LittleBigPlanet are great I just don't want to make stuff).

Lionhead Studios is working on the next Fable which I'm looking forward to seeing. Just hope they focus more on story and go back to having the humour of Fable 1 and 2.

PressPlay are working on Project Totem and I don't really know what that's about but the trailer makes it sound funny.

I imagine it's too early for the next fully fledged Halo game so I am guessing we are going to see Halo 2: Anniversary. But I think we will see some more teaser stuff for the next Halo game (Halo 5).

That leaves Leap Experience Pioneers (LXP), Kids and Lifestyle Entertainment (KALE), Connected Experiences (not sure if LXP and Connected Experiences are the same studio or not but I'll just hope MS Studios is big and they are 2 separate entities), Lift London and Good Science. Going by it's name KALE doesn't sound like they will be making anything I am interested in and the last few things Good Science did were all Kinect based so I imagine if they still exist we will get another Kinect thing from them.

I don't think we know enough about LXP, Connected Experiences and Lift London but it would be interesting to see what they come up with and I hope MS show something these studios have been working on and I hope it's more core/hardcore gamer focused.

Last edited:
Well.. I think MS will have a barnstorm this year as they know what direction they are going in now and also - i think - they were caught on the hop with the PS4 launch and weren't going to launch XBone until this year. It would explain a lot of the problems they have. But hopefully they will hit their stride. New games. They have done a price cut already. No kinect less model - i don't think they will ever do that. Maybe availability of the white unit maybe with expanded hard drive. I suspect they will bring all the apps liek Netflix etc out from behind the Live Gold paywall - it just makes no sense. I think they might ramp up the Games with Gold to make it closer to PS4 - its laughable at the moment. Maybe a cheaper 360 with better Games with gold would be a great bonus for people with young kids, maybe position it more as a set top box with games. If they could make it £99 would be very attractive.

Sony obviously in a strong position - hopefully some more games and more info pn Playstation Now. If they could do a bundle deal for a monthly payment for Movie, Music and Game streaming for £5 or so would be very attractive.

Nintendo - ok they are very behind at the moment but they are slowly gathering quite a collection of games there. the Wii U is a nice little machine if you ask me. I think they need to pull it out the bag with new games - New Zelda, New Metroid, New Super Mario 3D land 2, maybe a Mario Galaxy 3, SNES Remix. If they tossed in a price cut for the Wii U they could be a dark horse.

Going off on one for a second I think Nintendo could get back in the game easily by doing the following

- Alternative interface: Adult and Kids. Keep the one they have now for the kids and have an optional slicker less kiddy one for adults who get offended by that
- Sort out the online stuff - ok I know its better than it was and the MiiVerse is fun but lets get that gaming bit sorted out. I think they need to release 2 games Super Mario Paintball - a Nintendo team fortress alike and Pilotwings Island an MMO type Pilotwings game where you can fly around the island, take part in group challenges and compete. At the same time announce a Zelda MMO and announce World of Warcraft coming to Wii U
- Virtual Console improvements - but once play anywhere. its fudgeing ridiculous that if I buy Super Mario Bros on he 3DS I have to buy it again to play on Wii U which I also had to upgrade from my Wii version! They could even extend this to playing on your phone or whatever but only Virtual console and only if bought on a Nintendo advice. Allow game save states to persist as well.
- Gamepad use - allow it to use wifi points in your home to move further away from the wii u and allow the kid to use like a pad around the house.

Hmmm didn't mean to go off on one so much. Quiet day at work :)

Oh great, the myth that Microsoft weren't planning on launching till 2014 rears it's head again...............

I'd like to see;

New Gears of War announcement

Halo 5 or Halo 2 Anniversary announcement

New Hitman announcement

GTA V story DLC announcement

New Nass Effect announcement

More news on Assassin's Creed Unity

That's about all, realistically speaking.

In terms of those "wild dream" wishes;

Half Life 3 announcement

New Dead Space announcement

Sort of related but Gamespot put up a post listing recent tweets Phil Spencer has posted and a lot of it relates to possible plans they may have at E3.

Some highlights for me include that we will see some news in May before E3 (I'd guess this is for announced games like Sunset Overdrive), they will announce new studios they are working with at E3 (sounds like it will most likely 3rd party partnerships) and a big one for me is that E3 will focus on hardcore gamers :clap:

The only downer for me is that we won't see a new Lost Odyssey game any time soon as the IP rights are a "bit complicated" and even if we get some news about Lost Odyssey it will most likely be that it is on Games on Demand and not a new game :(

I read this yesterday, and it sounds promising.
The next six weeks should be really interesting.

Microsoft have confirmed their time: Monday June 9th, 1730 (BST). It will be streamed live on Live and Xbox.com. The event is subtitled "Xbox: Game On" (just in case we hadn't got the message it was going to be all about games).

Xbox Live's Major Nelson » Here’s How to Watch the Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing :

Thought it was starting earlier than last year (and hopefully was going to be longer) but when I checked online for last years start time it looks like the 2014 event is starting an hour later. Hopefully that doesn't mean a shorter event and they just pushed it out an hour so more people can see it.

17:30? That's when I leave work.
Hopefully I won't miss anything in the first 15 minutes.

They had a good E3 last year, apart from the price didn't they?

I thought their E3 was pretty decent, it kind of stopped the rot which was vital - albeit without regaining any real momentum.

I suspect that Phil Spencer will have the MS presser displaying a far more compelling message with a far better tone. Not sure how much content he's got to play with though beyond the stuff we already know about.

Also, given that indies are not real games I'm not sure how this sub forum will react to a whole lot of Id@xbox announcements ;) :p

Hmm predictions:

Sunset Overdrive gameplay
Halo Anniversary Gameplay & Halo TV
New Halo 5 Trailer
Quantum Break Gameplay
New COD Gameplay trailer
New Titan for Titanfall
New Kinect Sport
Harmonix dancing game gameplay
More Fable footage
GOW cinematic
Something new from EPIC
Something new from Capcom
Whatever mistwalker have been working on whilst messing around with mobile
EA segment with all the sports and the star wars tie in
Maybe the rumoured Forza title
Square enix to turn up with Final Fantasy and Mad Max, perhaps a JC3 announcement
A few interesting looking indie titles
More KI characters and stages
Witcher 3 guys to turn up and show that off
UBI to show off rocksmith port with some kinect features
Another F2P MMO type game to show up (take your pick which one, perhaps eve?)
Closes with a cinematic of Crackdown

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom