e2c background noise

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by tigermad, Mar 28, 2006.

1. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    Hi guys, I have just received my new shure e2c earphones. I have had plenty of fun trying the different pads to see which suit me better but I have one question.

Are the phones supposed to block out all background noise? My hubby has the xbox 360 playing and when the music stops I can still hear it.

Is it because I need to use different pads? I am using the foam tips at present.

2. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    No, they're not supposed to block out ALL background noise, they'll have a db rating. I can't remember the exact rating on the E2s, but it'll be around the 20-25db range, I think.

It's also more effective at cutting out certain frequencies than others, so you might find, for instance, that higher pitched sounds are more easy to discern than mid range sound, like voices etc.

3. nozman

nozman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tigermad / doctorjuggles, I've found a little info from the shure FAQ site that may answer your question.

From my personal experience of wearing hearing protection at work few things will give 100% isolation as sound / vibrations can travel to an extent through your head, (there are times when wearing my E2c's I can hear the old ticker going boom boom). As doctor juggles has said frequencies are the key.

Hope this doesn't spoil your enjoyment of the Shure's.:smashin: