1xPATA DVDRW
2xPATA HDD
1xSATA HDD
ATX gaming window case
3x80mm LED case fans
1x120mm LED Akassa case fan
PCI Creative Audigy 4
PCI 4 port firewire card

I currently await for the arrival of mobo & PATA converter. So i am standing at my front door outside waiting, whilst posting this thread on my laptop, battery low... not

now with this set-up i was wondering what i could get my E2180 to O/C up to, using stock air?

the thread below has various links to various O/C info on the new Dual Core E21xx M0 series CPU's which apparently O/C far better than L2

"If we consider that the best copies of processors Pentium e2xxx stepping L2 are overclocked using air to 3.6 GHz, then from M0 stepping representatives it is possible to expect more impressive overclock. "

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=1701638&page=4&pp=15

and here's another link about the M0 & what the chip looks like (yes, i checked, my E2180 has M0 according to the photograph)

http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-2814-view-Pentium-E2xxx-M0-stepping.html

there is no set amount you can overclock by - it's all dependant on loads of factors including the ram, the cpu and the motherboard etc etc.

Best way is just to take your time and nudge the FSB up and keep stress testing it all the time.

so with the spec i have do you think i can get an O/C up to 4GHz the motherboard is a solid overclocker, & the ram is is for enthusiast overclocking. (EVP-Extended voltage protection)

using stock intel cooler, which is actually a pretty decent cooling unit

You will be unlikely to get beyond 3GHz

3.7 GHz - > 1.67 v. Using only air cooling

ahh 1.67V that's ridiculously high even on phase, would reduce lifespan of cpu drastically

1.67volts is ridiculous amount to pump through your cpu.

On stock air cooling - it's all about temps. That is the driving force behind how far you can go with your overclock.

At a push you could put 1.5v through the cpu for benchmarking etc but the max i would push on a regular basis through mine would be 1.45volts assuming the temps are ok.

Use coretemp or TAT to monitor your temps when under full load. Max under full load for 12hours or so should be about 65 degrees.

If you get towards 3.2ghz or so, with good temps, that is an excellent overclock.

make sure you use Orthos or alike to stress test, a proper stable overclock should be able to survive 12hours or Orthos on both cores @ 100%.

3.7 GHz - > 1.67 v. Using only air cooling

Nice Result

Very interested to know what this processor can achieve at stock voltage.

Been Closely following the 2140/2160 thread on extremesystems.org forum

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=145328

Care to post some results with 1.325Vcore
How high did you have to go with the NB and SB voltages?
And how hot did the CPU get?

Got a Asus Commando mobo at home waiting for something to do.

Thanks

Gavin

http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...-0-ghz-m0.html

i was just quoting what that guy had done in the forum above

i still havn't even got my GA P35C DS3R (£74 inc. VAT & shipping from E-Tropolis, apparently best O/C chipset & mobo in general) yet lol, due this friday. i will post here to let you know what i get out of O/C, do you think my RAM is decent enough?

OCZ 2GB DDR2 CL5 PC2-6400 Gold GX XTC Dual Channel EVP up to 2.1V (+-)5%

do you think my RAM is decent enough?

I suppose only time will tell.....

A lot of the guys are using PC8500 or better.

I would be a bit more concerned with the stock CPU cooler and getting a couple of fans over the North and Southbridge Heat Sinks.

Keep us posted to how you get on

Gavin

yeah i couldn't afford the faster ram, i didn't really want to dish out lots of £££ on faster ddr2 memory, i will save up for a future upgrade of low latency DDR3 memory when prices will gradually decrease

i am considering a zalman, but then again i do plan to upgrade cpu in the near future

what size fans do i need on north/south bridge?

i am considering a zalman, but then again i do plan to upgrade cpu in the near future

what size fans do i need on north/south bridge?

What sort of case have you got?

I personally would n't use a Zalman if it was free.....

If you have the space go for a Tuniq Tower 120, Thermalright 120, Scythe Infinity, or a Noctua NH-U12F etc. These can all be used if you upgrade to a high spec Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad later

If space is an issue consider the Thermalright SI 128

Regarding Fans, this really depends on whether this is an overclocking exercise, or you are actually building a pc to use that can overclock when you require.

If its the former, high airflow fans are best, these will be noisy.
Otherwise fit a quiet 12cm fan(s) to draw air over the the chipset heatsinks.

Gavin

ok thanks for the reccomendations

it's no case in particular just some random ebuyer case with a window, quite roomy though

1 80mm intake fan on window, 2 80mm extract fan on rear, 1 120mm intake fan on front pannel passing through HDD bays.

yeah i havn't really put any bets on this system, it will be getting some ddr3 action & a better cpu

Attachments

• messyme.jpg
    messyme.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 132
  • notsomessy.jpg
    notsomessy.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 69
http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...-0-ghz-m0.html

i was just quoting what that guy had done in the forum above

i still havn't even got my GA P35C DS3R (£74 inc. VAT & shipping from E-Tropolis, apparently best O/C chipset & mobo in general) yet lol, due this friday. i will post here to let you know what i get out of O/C, do you think my RAM is decent enough?

I still predict you won't get more than 3GHz out of it.
It will be interesting to see which of us is correct.
Reviewers (usually) get hand picked CPUs, you will get one off the shelf.

The L2 2140 and 2160 retail CPU are capable of 100% overclocks

so 2180 should easily manage 301FSB x10.

but I agree with you it will be interesting to see some hard results.

Gavin

i'll back him to get 3ghz out of it!!:D:D

I'll make sure he does!:rotfl::rotfl:

you'll make me eh? lol

Any news on the o/c?

yes o/c to 3.02 GHz stable using stock fan had PC on for about 4 weeks temp 50-60 celcius tops

Great. I have the same CPU/Mobo and Ram arriving tomorrow with an 8800gt card. Hopefully I will hit 3Ghz too.

Cheers.

yeah i ran it at stock for about 2 weeks at 1st, o/c, with my whole spec, playing the latest games were a breeze maxed out at 1680x1050, i can't tell the difference after o/c? when running many appz simultaneously still seemed good no dif to me

yeah i ran it at stock for about 2 weeks at 1st, o/c, with my whole spec, playing the latest games were a breeze maxed out at 1680x1050, i can't tell the difference after o/c? when running many appz simultaneously still seemed good no dif to me. obv wen ur playing dx10 games, it will be a lot slower even with ur gpu and depending abt ur other specs

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom