1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E100, E60 and DVDR70 Reviews...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rasczak, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    ...are all in the new (October) issue of What Video & Widescreen Entertainment. A brief summary:

E100 - 5/5. Good points: 80GB HDD, features, recording quality. Bad points: price, only 2 channel DVD-A

E60 - 5/5. Good points: Recording quality, features, ease of use. Bad points: No electrical digital output, no MPEG4 playback, DVD-RAM compatibility

DVDR70 - 4/5. Good points: Recording quality, looks, compatibility, price.
    Bad points: Basic editting features, operation

The issue also has a short news dit on the upcoming Pioneer models. Anyway - it's well worth picking up the issue if you are interested in any of the above models.

The last paragraph of the conclusion to the recorder reviews says it all IMHO:

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Essential Home Cinema has the opposite conclusion. Its downer on the E60 seems to be based on the relative lack of quality when squeezing more than 2 hours on a disc at LP level. They make no mention of the FR feature which is one of the Panasonic range's key benefits.

At least they slag off the Tosh for not making its scarts RGB capable - huge blunder by Tosh!

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Possibly because it's a crap magazine? ;) There are quite a few "Home Cinema" magazines at the moment - many of which think a Home Cinema is the purchase of a £300 All-In-One rather than any sort of decent setup. Stick with HCC and WVWE - I don't always agree with what they say but at least they have decent labs for testing the kit.

It was a bit of a blunder. But that said not everybody considers RGB to be better than S-Video (especially for recording poorer sources). For someone who just wants to make edits from S-Video sources (e.g. Camcorders/VCRs/Laserdiscs etc) you could argue it's ideal. As I said in another post RGB in is very new - but now we have it in one we want it in all.

4. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find HCC to be the best magazine except that they never properly test progressive scan with the excuse that their reference pj has a good deinterlacer of it's own. Doesn't help those of us with cheapy pjs....

Anyway, I was rereading the October copy and noticed that they stated that the projected price of the Pioneer 5100 is £550. Is that a mistake or an estimate of the street price?

I think that if it's under 600 quid by December then I'll have one.

Cheers,
    Cal.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    A mistake - that's the RRP of the 3100 (with no HDD). The RRP of the 5100 is £800 (but seems to be available of pre-order from some sites for £699). These prices are from the news article I mentioned in the current (October) issue of WVWE.

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    But bearing in mind the pannys have 3 AV in sockets - AV2 scart which is configurable for RGB or s-video or composite plus two other AV inputs which are both s-video or composite, I can't see why Panasonic can cover all the bases while Tosh apparently cannot.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    It keeps the costs down. Remember when the Toshiba was released it was almost £200 cheaper than the HS2.