• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

e1 and audio

S

sdk

I am planning on buying a e1 player if they ever come out :rotfl: . But i was wondering, i have a denon 3806 reciver that has hdmi in. Will i be able to use true hd using the hdmi since the e1 does not have the 5.1 outputs? Or do you need a new reciver that supports the formats?

Batch

Prominent Member
no, i don't think there is any way of getting true hd sound formats on the e1 as the hdmi is only 1.2.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
You should be fine with this. The E1 will decode all the TrueHD track and output under a HDMI 1.1 (or higher interface) as multichannel PCM, just like all stand alaone HD DVD players.

Batch

Prominent Member
Sorry that's wrong, the E1 does support TrueHD via HDMI (any version).

Why then does HDMI 1.3 state "New lossless audio formats: In addition to HDMI's current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby® Digital and DTS), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new, lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™"

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
That is only for BD and only then if they decide not to use build in decoders like the nice Panny does. HD DVD decodes in the player and outputs via PCM. All the players have been lke this since launch and everyone is enjoying TrueHD.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Why then does HDMI 1.3 state "New lossless audio formats: In addition to HDMI’s current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby® Digital and DTS), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new, lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™"

Have a look through here, tells you everything you need to know about TrueHD, more specifically points 24 and 25.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom