1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-mailed Yamaha about RXV650 VS 750 VS 1400 VS AX750SE & here's the answer!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by CosmicOne, Oct 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have e-mailed Yamaha some days ago about the differneces between those models also if there any difference between the normal RXV750 & the AX750se (AS HomeCinemaChoiceOnline mentioned),also i asked about the difference in advancment between the 650/750 & the 1400
    & here's my e-mail:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------ Original Message <2004/10/26 22:15:12> ------------
    >I want to know something about those Yamaha Recivers:
    >
    >1-Is there really a noticeable sound quality
    >difference between RXV650&RXV750 vs the english
    >version the AX750SE (not talking about power,only
    >sound quality)
    >
    >2-Do u consider the RXV650/750 more advanced in it's
    >internal design than the RXV1400??
    >
    >3-Do the 1400 have by anyway different sonic
    >charactrestics than the 650/750 & is it better than
    >the 650/750 in sound quality or just a better power
    >supply???
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any help & it would be really appreciated.

& here's Yamaha's answer:

Dear Valued Customer

Thank you for your e-mail.

1. There is no difference in the sound quality produced by Yamaha
    receivers/amplifiers.

2 & 3. It is not possible to simply compare those products with each
    other
    because they were designed in different time, and an impression about
    the
    sound depends on each person's sense. However, the RX-V650 and the
    RX-V750
    have advanced technology as they are later models, and the RX-V1400 is
    better equipped in its setting for the sound.

Yours sincerely

AV OVERSEAS CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE
    YAMAHA CORPORATION, JAPAN
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

so this is very intersting coz if u read the AX750Se review here u will find they are mentioning that it has some upgrades to improve sound quality,while from Yamaha point they say it's the same sound.

what do u think guys???

2. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds like absolute rubbish to me! how can you say that the top end kit they offer sounds no better than the cheapest??? Sure it will have more bells and whistles, but its also going to have better quality components surely?

Noticed it was supposedly from a CS rep in Japan - very good english they had...

3. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aliflack

dude,if u research more u will find that the new RXV650/750 uses new Chips & LSI's than the 1400/2400 also they have the new PureDirectMode like the flagship Z9 & the upcoming 1500/2500 only the 1400/2400 have the parametric EQ & better/heavier powersupply.

So if u really gonna say that what should sound better,the Yamaha ads will say the new 650/750 coz they use new tech as mentioned above,but from my point of view i think they all will sound the same & that's why i send this e-mail to Yamaha while the 650/750 with the pure direct mode should be better in stereo than the 1400/2400.

JUST MY OPINIONS

4. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aliflack

& BTW:if u doubt that am lieing about this e-mail & i just made this up send my question again to Yamaha tech service on this e-mail & see the feedback:
    (av-info@gmx.yamaha.com) this e-mail is for Yamaha global.

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Budget / Midrange will be designed around there flagship models and obviously technology filters down to the lower speced amps/receivers but that also comes with a cost to use cheaper parts so the lower down the range the quality of sound will no way be as good as the Flagship Models.

John :)

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I read it that the CS representative says there's no difference soundwise between the amp or receiver vesion of the same model. YMMV

As for the good English, I've mailed Japanese and Chinese companies and they've replied with better English than I hear in the streets these days :lesson: :devil:

7. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Japanese Yamaha Customer Services representative has given a misleading/misguided answer. On all models other than the 750 what he has said is correct in that the receiver is just the amplifier with a tuner added. He also hasn't said that the 650/750 sound any better or any worse than the 1400, just stated some facts that the 650/750 uses newer technology and that the 1400 has better setup options.

I can't find anything in the Home Cinema Choice online review that claims that the DSP-AX750SE sounds better than the RX-V750; it does mention some upgrades but doesn't say that it sounds any better. Also I haven't seen anything that Yamaha claim that the DSP-AX750SE sounds better than the RX-V750, only that it has been tuned for the British ear.

Just because an amplifier/receiver uses a later model chip doesn't mean it sounds any better (or any worse for that matter) as the chip is just part of the overall design. New chips are developed for lots of different reasons (smaller, lighter, reduced power consumption, reduced heat, new functions, cheaper...).

As I have mentioned in a previous post I did listen to both the DSP-AX750 and the RX-V1400 and to me the RX-V1400 had a much better sound in both surround sound and stereo even though the RX-V1400 is lacking the Pure Direct Mode of the DSP-AX750.

8. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes guys,i think his answer about the sonic difference between the 650/750 & 1400 is misleading unless he thought he answered that when he said:"There is no difference in the sound quality produced by Yamaha receivers/amplifiers."

Ktng:
    HCCO doesn't mention it in a direct way but they kept talking(as i remember) about the improvments on the power section on the signal path & on capacitors that is made on the UK version & not on the Global version so anyone will assume that those Improvments is meant for better Audio quality!!!

9. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CosmicOne

Well it depends how you define sound quality. The review in Home Cinema Choice states "the size of the power supply reservoir capacitors, which have been increased for higher continuous power operation, and an improved internal wire gauge along with modifications to the earthing system" infers to me that listening at something like reference level will be better on the DSP-AX750 compared to the RX-V750, but will probably make no difference listening at normal levels; I have no idea what effect improving the internal wire gauge and modifying the earthing system would have on sound quality, but I'm sure others will have a view.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "i think his answer about the sonic difference between the 650/750 & 1400 is misleading" - he just simply stated some facts that the 650/750 use newer technology and that the 1400 has better setup options; he also states that sound quality is a personal preference which is why the golden rule is listen to equipment with your own ears - by all means seek advice.

10. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ktng,
    first i got the impression about better sound quality on the AX750 from this line(shorter signal path)

second i said that "i think his answer about the sonic difference between the 650/750 & 1400 is misleading unless he thought he answered that when he said:"There is no difference in the sound quality produced by Yamaha receivers/amplifiers."
    because u said "I think the Japanese Yamaha Customer Services representative has given a misleading/misguided answer"

so am just agreeing with u LOL

11. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only reference to shorter signal path in the HCC review is with regard to the Pure Direct Mode and as this is also on the RX-V750 I'm not sure how this would mean that the DSP-AX750 would have better sound quality than the RX-V750 :confused:

12. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dude, I'm not suggesting you are lying! my wording leaves a lot to be desired i guess...by 'you' I really meant 'people'

seems daft to suggest that the top end goods sound as good as the budget stuff, thats all I'm saying.

13. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Modifying the internal cable and earthing, might improve the sound but it could also have been done for manufacturing or marketing reasons.

My experience with flagship models is they tend to fail to live up to expectations, often designers feel compelled to add all the extras they can and loose sight of the sound implications, IMO.

14. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I went back to the shop and exchanged my RXV-650 for the DSP-AX750SE and paid the extra £50 difference between the 2 models. I'm glad I did - there is a definite difference between the two models in pure direct stereo mode, obviously favouring the DSP-AX750SE. The sound seems to project more towards you, there is better tonal balance, control and dynamics and as a result the overall sound is more refined. I liked the RXV-650 but the DSP750 is clearly worth the extra effort and dosh for its superiority in stereo. However, I haven't noticed any audible differences in the 5.1 or 6.1/7.1 setting.

Now by extrapolation, I'm wondering if one can reasonably expect such a clear improvement in sound quality when comparing the DSP750 with its older but more expensive sisters, the RXV1400 or 2400. I won't be surprised if this (i.e. the latter being superior) turns out to be the case. Contrary to popular belief, there may be some truth in the old adage 'You get what you pay for' after all.

Regards,
    reservoir51