E-mail notification of event on NAS

walleee

Prominent Member
Reaction score
have a look below guys, I believe I need to put info into the fields marked with a star to get my NAS to e-mail me when it's finished downloading a file, but I don't know what goes where?

I have two e-ail address, so hoping I can use them in the To and From field, but i'm lost when it comes to a server.

I use gmail, so is it one of their mail servers I should be using??

Any advice would be great can't seem to find any advice on other forums...

It's a zyxel nsa310 incase it's relavent.....

pic added...

Attachments

• hmm.jpg
    hmm.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 271
wow this section is busy, can anyone offer any help for the above??

i've not had any luck putting gmails smtp details in...

also filled the authentication info with my ddress and password but still no joy.....

What NAS is it? I use my googlemail account on my QNAP NAS with no problems, I just got the correct settings from the googlemail help pages and voila! I have it set to send emails to my work account, but it also worked if I used the gmail account ie sending it back to the the same account it originates from.

SMTP server - smtp.gmail.com
Port - 587
Protocol - TLS

Last edited:
Zyxel nsa 310.

i've since put in the smtp server details and password etc. But still no joy... Ill hav a play this eve and see what i can do. Thanks so far!

Additionally, a common anti-spam measure employed by ISP's is to drop messages where the "from" and "to" address are the same, or from the same "domain" (the bit after the "@" sign in your email address.)

mickevh said:
Additionally, a common anti-spam measure employed by ISP's is to drop messages where the "from" and "to" address are the same, or from the same "domain" (the bit after the "@" sign in your email address.)

Thanks, ive sent myself e mails in the past using the senders address as the recipient, so dont think this is the issue.

Trying my isp outgoing mail server might b worth a shot....

What SMTP server were you trying to use...?

Bascially you need one that will accept connections from you (ie your ISP or your hotmail/gmail etc - not all the "online" ones will accept smtp traffic because...) or an "open" relay (will accept and relay smtp from anyone.)

However, "open relay" smtp servers are a gift to spammers, so most people endeavour to not (knowingly) provide such functionality. Hence you may need to find someone that "trusts" you, such as your ISP.

Also, the default SMTP port is 25. If your NAS won't let you change the port it connects on, it may be assuming port 25 and it's possible the target smtp server blocks this - someone mentioned port 587.

Only tried using the gmail one noted above. I dont see options for changing ports etc, all i have in the way of config is whats above, unless its on another settings page...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom