E Bay Have I just been scammed??

Monster

Hi

I've used EBay about 20 times over the past year or 2 with relatively few problems.

I've just bid on a Netgear ethernet switch. I was the winning and only bidder at 1p until just before the end when the bid jumped to 6p. I put in my max with a few seconds to go and won at £7.50.
However, when I look at the bid history to see who else was bidding there are 2 entries and on both it states "private listing - bidders' identities protected"

What does that mean? Have I just been scammed???

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A

anfieldfc

just make sure you pay with paypal then at least you can claim it back i got hacked on ebay today 50 items listed 300 pound seller fees and then he emailed me to say that i had just been hacked and i have to wait to get my account sorted trust me ebay dont give a ****

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Monster said:
Hi

I've used EBay about 20 times over the past year or 2 with relatively few problems.

I've just bid on a Netgear ethernet switch. I was the winning and only bidder at 1p until just before the end when the bid jumped to 6p. I put in my max with a few seconds to go and won at £7.50.
However, when I look at the bid history to see who else was bidding there are 2 entries and on both it states "private listing - bidders' identities protected"

What does that mean? Have I just been scammed???

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
No you have not been scammed, the seller does not want people to see who is bidding on his items, that is why the name shows as private.

Monster

Thanks Russell.

I didn't know you could do that. Not sure why someone would want to either?

I'm still happy with the price at which I won the auction...so time to pay up!

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Lots of scammers target people who buy certain items.

So all they need to do is find an item that is finished and they have a list of people who they can contact (the people who have bid), by making it private nobody can see your details.

Monster

But I can see my bids in the list....

Or is that cos it knows its me looking...?:confused:

MI55ION

Yes, it's because it knows that it's you.

The thing is, no matter what legitemate reason the seller has for protecting other bidders identities, I never touch them for the simple reason that I can't check whether they are shill bidding (usually when a seller uses another username to bid up the price).

Monster

Mi555ion, Thats just what I suspected!

However i this case is small sums and i still want the goods but its good to learn such things when the stakes are not high.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards