E Bay advice

Just call me Al

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I ordered a charger for my phone battery from ebay. The cost was £3.99. When it came it was the wrong item, nothing like the one in the photo & it was sent with an adapter that would not fit it, so wrong item & wrong adapter. I contacted the seller & they wanted photos etc etc etc. Long story short somehow I opened up a 'Resolution'. I asked the people to pick up the item & send me the correct one. They requested I send back the one I had. I again requested that they pick up the one I had. Anyhow I was not getting anywhere & ebay said I had x days to send back the unit so I sent it back. This cost me £2.60. I sent the postage number for the £2.60. & requested the total payment for the goods & my postage back. Around a week later Ebay closed the resolution saying the money had been refunded, but my postage back was not refunded & I cannot open up this case. I have emailed the seller but they are not replying. I know the cost is low but now it is a matter of principle. Any ideas.

Any ideas.
Put it down to experience. Something to bear in mind in the future when buying low value items is the cost of return. Better to pay a little more from a proper online retailer who will refund return postage for faulty items.

Put it down to experience. Something to bear in mind in the future when buying low value items is the cost of return. Better to pay a little more from a proper online retailer who will refund return postage for faulty items.

Thanks but no thanks. I am getting my money back no matter what. The goods were the wrong ones, the adapter did not fit & was illegal. Too many people put things down to experience & the cheaters get away. I have bought loads of items from ebay both cheap & dear & have never had any problems.

Thanks but no thanks. I am getting my money back no matter what. The goods were the wrong ones, the adapter did not fit & was illegal. Too many people put things down to experience & the cheaters get away. I have bought loads of items from ebay both cheap & dear & have never had any problems.

You're right in principle. Why should people get away with things because it's a low value item.

But on the other hand for me personally I would not bother with the hassle for something the price of a happy meal at mcdonalds.

Maybe that's why the seller does it, knowing most people won't bother chasing it up.

I had the same issue with a low value item from Hong Kong, eBay wanted me to return the item to my cost, appealed to their better judgement and they refunded my the cost of the item and I didn't need to return it.

Quite why you should return a faulty item and be out of pocket is ridiculous, then again it is eBay!!

Check the returns policy, if it does not state that you are liable for the postage cost then they have to cover it for you. If they state that you are liable for the return costs then there's nowt you can do about it unfortunately.

Check the returns policy, if it does not state that you are liable for the postage cost then they have to cover it for you. If they state that you are liable for the return costs then there's nowt you can do about it unfortunately.

Thanks everyone for your replies. As for 'nowt you can do about it', well there is. If goods are sent faulty or incorrectly then the supplier has to pay return costs no matter what crap they write in their 'T&C', they cannot go against the law of the land. At the moment I am away, but I will chase them up once I get back.

The law of what land? Considering they are in Hong Kong.

You accepted their terms upon bidding on the item and you won't win just chalk it down the experience and move on. Surely you've already spent more than the item in your own time posting about it here :rolleyes:

I stopped using eBay after paying £250 for a motorbike fuel tank which turned up damaged, dented and scratched....it was also uninsured despite me having paid over £30 for postage and insurance.....PayPal/eBay found in favour of the seller......I don't think now that I could be bothered with the stress and hassle with a moronic seller who doesn't care......at least not for a couple of quid.....it is annoying on principle but I don't think eBay gives a monkeys IMHO.....good luck if you do pursue it.....hope you get it sorted

You are right in principle.

In life, there are two things we keep experiencing:

1. An inability for some people to separate out 'mysticism' from 'reality' in situations.

2. Continual examples of how the 'Disease of mysticism' happens to be the worst disease of the human race.

At the end of your opening post you say, "Any ideas?"

My suggestions to you on this, would be to drop this one and put it down to experience, try harder to be a better buyer.

And importantly.....

Move on positively with the rest of your life.

:)

Put it down to experience, you won't get it back and for 2.60 its not worth the hassle, at least in future you will know and won't get caught out again

OP didn't state they were in Hong Kong? And I would hazard a guess that it would cost more than £2.60 to return even a small parcel to HK.
My fault sorry skim read the thread and got Hong Kong from another post. The point still stands though it was agreed on the sale that buyer would pay any return postage so he hasn't got a leg to stand on as far as eBay are concerned.

I hear you regarding matter of principle. However, all of the above posts also are right, is it really worth your time in stress for £2.60? If the answer is yes, then try this.

Was the item you purchased stated as new? Was the seller registered as a business seller in the UK? If yes to both questions, then the sales of goods act 1979 is relevant.

It doesn't matter what returns policy they put on their listing, they can't adapt the law of the land to their own means. What they can do is refuse to pay your return postage costs as eBay has already returned your refund as per their terms. What you now have to do is message them again having asked eBay for their contact details if you don't have them already.
Tell them that they are in breach of the sales of goods act and you will be taking them to the small claims court for your out of pocket expenses. Explain that all court costs will also be included in your claim.
Explain that you will also be making a complaint to trading standards for their failure in adhering to sales of goods act.
Hopefully best case scenario once they see you won't go away they might take notice and refund you? Worst case; they ignore you and you have to proceed with claim and hope it all goes your way.

As I already stated, it all depends on how principled you are. :smashin:

Some reading: I've got a problem with something I bought on eBay - Which? Consumer Rights

Returning faulty goods - who pays postage?

I'm not involved in the legal world, just trying to help. All advice is given as I understand it. I've used this method myself and succeded without having to go to small claims court. Sometimes just sounding like you mean what you imply frightens people enough to bend to your will. Not sure what happens though if they're an overseas seller.

In all honesty the regulations are so long winded and confusing for sellers and buyers it's no wonder people are short changed. The law is the law, if you don't get anywhere with constructive and concise emails to said company then you have to go to court. Be prepared to go all the way, just take relevant legal advice cost free from your local cab office [citizens advice bureau] not taxi co. :D before going blindly where few fail to tread and get egg on your face!

Good luck...

Thanks again for all your thoughts. The buyer is listed as being in the UK. I have sent an email via Ebay to there complaints dept where they state they will get back within 24 hours, but its been nearly 3 days. I have also sent another email to the supplier & again no reply in nearly 3 days.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom