E-85 dubbed DVD-Rs problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nialli, Dec 6, 2004.

1. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Now here's an odd thing

I've had my E85 over six months now and have mainly been using the HDD. Occasionaly I dub stuff to Sony or Imation DVD-Rs for archiving. Not a coaster to date, but...

This weekend we watched three of the archived DVD-Rs on the E-85 and they all had the same problem. After a period of playback (anything from 40 to 70 minutes) the image and sound would break up and freeze. The DVD-R effectively locks. But if I open the DVD tray and then close it again, and fast forward to the point where the picture broke last time, it plays it fine right through to the end of the disc without any further break.

I tried other homemade DVD-Rs on another DVD player and had the same problem. The DVD-Rs aren't dirty, nor can I get the picture breakup to re-occur at the same point. The original recordings on the HDD are fine and we've never had any break up on the HDD playback. Pre-recorded DVDs are fine, too.

Any ideas? It's bloody odd and completely unpredictable when it's going to happen, but it seems to happen with every disc I've made.

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,893
    Very weird, it's not an overheating problem is it ?

3. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    No, as it's not just the E-85 during DVD-R playback but other DVD players too. Also, commercial DVDs don't break up at all when played back on the E85 - can watch hours without a problem.

I'm at a complete loss to explain it. I don't think it's a fault with my machine, and I would have thought that a flaw with the DVD-Rs I use (mainly Imation) would manifest itself at the dubbing stage.

4. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have seen something similar with dvd-r dubbed from my E85. However the break-up/freeze described only happens playing back on a Sony S-735D deck which is fairly restricted on what it will play back (eg it officially doesn't play audio CD recorded to CD-R).

Have only dubbed 2 DVDs and have only tried one in the sony!

The picture breaks up/freezes after skipping a few chapters into the title, but like you I can't make this occur at predictable point but it's around same point on disk (about half way into a 1 hour dvd recorded in XP).

The dvd-rs which give trouble on the sony are fine played back on E85 or my laptop (Apple) drive.

5. father alice

father alice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I had this problem when I used adhesive disc labels -CD Stomper ones - they seemed to cause playback errors, which if the tray was opened, or the disc stopped, disappeared. Again, seemed to happen after 30 mins or so of playback, but not reproducable at the same point.... removed labels are playback is fine!!

6. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ah, now that's a good point. I've been using Avery full face labels on all of the DVD-Rs I've had the problem with. I'll burn a few without labels and see what happens.

Presumably, those DVD-Rs you can print directly to are fine?

7. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Father Alice is right - discs without labels play fine for hours on end!

Anyone know how I can easily remove labels without damaging discs?

8. father alice

father alice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've spent many hours removing my labels :mad: over 100 of them!! Best solution I found was to place them in V Hot water, to remove the bulk of the label, then use wd40 to remove the adhesive iteself. Then a final clean with washing up liquid and warm water - pat dry and job done.

I have read that wd40 contains some organic elements other than the solvent itself, and that a pure solvent would be better (goofoff? but haven't seen it in the shops and wd40 seemed to do the job - bit smelly though!)

Bloody annoying as originally the labelled discs were fine, hence I did so many, but over time, they got worse. Not impressed, as the product is marketed as for cd and dvd labelling.

The silly thing is I am currently selling my stomper and labels on ebay to some other mug :rolleyes:

btw, they play fine with the labels removed, although all that cleaning does tend to leave some very light scratching to the surface - not enough to cause playback errors however.

9. peck2000

peck2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lighter fluid!

peck2000