1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-100 & 5100H shootout

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul Swires, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Paul Swires

Paul Swires

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that the Pioneer 5100H is out could it not be possible for someone to arrange a side by side testing of arguably the BEST HDD/DVDR's currently available. One hears "speculations" of the Pioneers PQ being inferior to the Panasonics and various other issues but let's have this test done by reliable non-biased people and post the findings on this forum. I'm sure there are many others out there sitting undecided on the fence which of these beasts to get.

I'm interested if anyone else on this forum shares my view.

Many thanks.

2. pio5100h

pio5100h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would wellcome a good shootout !
    But it will still be apples against oranges if formats are taken into consideration.
    The PQ of the 5100H may well be inferior (I would wellcome the test).
    According to my (subjective) observations the PQ surely is not perfect, even in FINE (one hour) mode.
    I have now edited this message because I found I made a mistake in one of the (image determining) settings. PQ has now improved considerably. Sorry about the faulty information!
    I am afraid in many cases and will all those possible settings users tend to make mistakes like this.
    Anyway, nothing but praise for the new pio5100h !

3. Mark.balcombe

Mark.balcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    what setting do you change and what value from and to?

thanks,

Mark

4. pio5100h

pio5100h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello Mark,
    Since I have only used the 5100h for a short time I was not thru experimenting with settings.
    I used a (combined choice of) settings scheme on my TV set that increases noice in RF input broadcast signals.
    (The contrast settings a.o. were way to high).
    Also, only the RF signal (non digital) is 'noisy' (which is normal to some extent).
    My mistake is that I may have given a premature signal in this Forum.
    I still have a lot of 'comparing' to do.
    e.g. my DVD player PQ against this new DVD-HDD recorder/player.
    Also, all observations of this kind are highly subjective.
    I have learned that even measurements differ substantially (AV related tests performed in AV mags) depending on exactly WHAT is being evaluated - even with testing equipment.
    I am pretty sure now this was my mistake and there is nothing wrong with the Pioneer 5100h at all.
    PQ however will differ between encoding engines of different companies (chipsets).
    I am not able to correctly comment on this matter, since I can not compare like some people on this forum can (who have owned different DVD recorders).
    I hope someone of this Forum comes up with a great review (or link to one).
    I can, if you like, comment on functions, design etc.
    The pio is all I ever expected of it, and more!
    :smashin:

5. StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second what pio5100 says :)

Rich :hiya:

6. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Remember that in top quality mode (Fine) the sound is recorded uncompressed PCM, so picture quality is at a slightly lower bit-rate to allow that. Try knocking down to the next level (31) which will give AC3 audio and a higher bit rate on the video than in the 32(Fine) setting.

Regards

Philip

7. pio5100h

pio5100h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    PhilipL,
    I seem to have caused some unjust confusion.
    Yesterday I did a lot more testing, something I should have done in the first place instead of putting inaccurate info on the web.
    The so called PQ problems were caused by inexperience with the unit.
    e.g. I recorded a show that was repeated (eact episode) the day after. I then went to compare the 'live' broadcast with the recording.
    (now, OK there might be some atmospheric and other factors involved between broadcasts)
    My observation was that it was near impossible to tell ANY difference between recording and broadcast.
    No additional 'noice', no 'ghosting'.
    The pio5100h seems almost picture perfect to me.
    The playback of a commercial DVD-Video, compared to my DVD player was also at least! as good (but pio on scart1/RGB - DVD player on scart2/composite).
    However, all subjective observations like mine, will vary so much. Setup, circumstances... I am eager to learn more about other people's experiences.