Dyson ContraRotator washing machines

Digger

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Is it my imagination, or do these things damage clothing? Just rang their hotline and they are going to get back to me. For the last 3 months I have been using one of these. a CR01 (no choice in the matter) and keep finding little "snags" in some of the synthetic items that come out the wash. :confused:

I am guessing its the contra-rotating section of the wash that is causing it. I was hoping there was a way of turning it off, but it appears not.
Any other Dyson owners come across this unhelpful "feature"?

I'm sure these were on BBC Watchdog soon after they came out with the problem of damaged clothes?

We've had one of these for 3.5 years now, under very heavy use.

No problems at all with clothes being damaged.

Its important with this machine that you use the correct setting for the type of fabrics. I.e put the synthetics on a synthetic wash otherwise it dosnt use the correct drum rotating speed and time in the wash cycle and rinses and can lead to damaging the fabrics! If you bung them all in on a cotton wash it will undoubtly harm the more delicate fabrics as it uses a more vigerous wash cycle!

If you are however using the corrrect cycle it could well be something wrong with your machine. Sounds to me like you say it could well be something wrong with the "join" of the contra rotating drums!

The damaged clothing was always done on synthetic cycle with the 1100 spin speed. I might try dropping that down to 800 whch will have the side effect of longer in the tumble dryer which i always put on "low temp"

Tumble drier ? its 20 degs and sunny in most places .Don't you have a line ?

John

Tumble drier ? its 20 degs and sunny in most places .Don't you have a line ?

John
Nope. Believe me its certainly preferable. I am caretaking a huge five storey home (mansion block) in central london. Laundry room is in basement. The only outside space is the difficult to access roof with its several sloping slate roofs.

EDIT actually i could construct some hanging space in the boiler room:) might try that

Someone elses leccy , thats ok then :D :smashin:

The damaged clothing was always done on synthetic cycle with the 1100 spin speed. I might try dropping that down to 800 whch will have the side effect of longer in the tumble dryer which i always put on "low temp"
My washing machine uses a 800 spin for synthetics, that may well be appropriate.

There are approximately 1000 bulbs of different varieties in use. I have been asked to replace all the ones that have popped before the owner's next visit.

It must be under some kind of warranty as they have rung and offered to send an engineer round tomorrow morning to inspect for free :thumbsup:.

Forgot to mention that it does make quite a grinding sound when contra-rotating so there might be something stuck between the two drums? Will find out soon enough

Forgot to mention that it does make quite a grinding sound when contra-rotating so there might be something stuck between the two drums? Will find out soon enough
Hmmm they usually all make a sort of "grinding" noise when contra rotating, its just the gearbox....Not that its grinding down or anything! :eek:

Impressed with Dyson's after sales service! Engineer turned up at 08.15 this morning and within 20 mins had deduced that the drum was hardly turning at all in one of the two contra-rotating directions so said new drum was needed (could take up to two months as they are shipped from Malaysia:eek: ), and replaced the control board so it will work like a normal washing machine until the new drum is fitted. He also said that when they come to replace the drum they will refurb the machine and replace the majority of parts :thumbsup: .

Cant complain. I guess this justifies shelling out for a £1000 w/m! (not mine I hasten to add). Top notch service if you ask me.

I can only agree with the comment on Dyson's aftersales service.Our DC003 was recently serviced as the motor packed in after 4 years.By the time the engineer had finished there was barely an original part left on the machine.This was with about 2 months of warranty remaining.

Another thumbs up for after-sales service from me.

When we moved house a few years ago, the washing machine was vibrating horribly, so we suspected it had been damaged in transit.

So the engineer came out within two days of calling, and quickly deduced that some numpty had forgotten to take out the transit screws. :rolleyes: :suicide:

He took them out, replaced a few parts (new control board, new drawer and other bits I couldn't see) and went off with not a word of complaint, and with no charge for something which was not a warranty issue.

Very impressed.

hmmm...decisions. they rung back to tell me we might have to wait until August to get replacement drum or they can buy back the machine and offer us 60% of the original price which amounts to £660. Can you get large drum machines for that amount? Probably better to replace it with a machine designed for heavy usage.

They eat socks - but that tends to be it.

Oh We do like Dyson :D.

I just rang them for an update as to when the new drum might be making an appearance so they can come and install and refurbish the machine under warranty. Still no news the cheery lady says, but because of the delay and inconvenience we will be sending you a free DC16:thumbsup:

Heyy they are good! I sent them an email for my email regarding if they are going to be reintroducing the washing machine range (a new and improved version as the CR01 models have seena lot of design faults). Only got a cal back from them 3 days later!! He was very polite and told me of how there is a new range coming but they dont know when it will be released! Very good service.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom