Question Dysfunctional 15m active HDMI cable needs help.

Renz

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a big problem and am desperate for some help, a 15m QED Performance Active HDMI cable with AFT which has blown possibly due to a surcharge. It connects my Anthem AV Amp to my Sony HW50ES projector. It was put into the room when I build the house in such a way that it’s impossible to replace (please don’t ask me how/why, it’s still a very sore topic with my electrician!).
Anyway I was wondering if I might salvage the situation by using a HDMI adaptor or converter of some sort. Something that will be able to pump the signal along the existing cable if at all possible. Any ideas if it might be pheasable and any ideas as to which type of appliance I should be looking at.
Thanks alot.

Is the ‘Active’ component in the HDMI connector or within a module somewhere along the length of the cable?

Joe

Hi Joe, from the QED website:

Active Filter TechnologyTM

Special active electronics built discreetly into the head shell that are designed to extend the High Speed performance of the cable to 15m. It is so discreetly done in fact that the head shell has to be marked so that the cable is always installed the correct way around with the Active Filter at the “display” end. The signal is filtered to remove unwanted components of the signal above and below the required frequency band and the remaining signal is amplified to the original level. This means that features such as 3D, 4K and Deep colour can be enjoyed over long distances.

My cable is about 4 years old so isn’t 4k I think.

Renz

Damaged HDMI cable - you have a couple of options to try, both will require a fair degree of patience, appropriate tools and some skill with a crimp or soldering iron.

Options A - remove the active HDMI Connectir and splice in a Passive head using a donor Cable you chop in two, you will need to pin out both cables to work out which internal wires go to which pins then work out which wires to join between the installed cable and the donor cable.

There is no standard wiring scheme for HDMI so it’s going to take a bit of time working it all out.

Once completed you would likely require some form of HDMI Equaliser/Extender if you plan to try and pass a 4K UHD signal over the cable.

Option B - use the installed cables as a ‘CAT’ cable (which will involve removing both HDMI Connectrs and working out how to crimp on or solder to a couple of RJ45 plugs).

Once completed you can use a set of HDMI over CAT Extenders.

Joe

Thank you Joe,
So I can’t just use an extender then. Is that because the damage won’t allow a signal through the connector or because using the extender at the end of the cable wont work because not enough signal is actually arriving at the end to effectively boost?
If it’s the latter scenario, how about adding an HDMI cable say about 5m long plugged into the bluray, then having a HDMI repeater, then plugging in my original lead to the projector. Could the repeater be fooled into boosting the signal from the first cable to get it to go through the second (not working) one?

Soldering is out of the question I’m afraid, have never done it before. Using a crimper seems easier so that might be a possibility. Do you know if HDMI cables have the same coloured strands as normal cat cable for he order into a RJ45 plug?
Thanks again,
Renz

'because the damage won’t allow a signal through the connector' - the damaged PCB within the 'Active' HDMI Connector is unlikely to now pass a signal.

'Soldering is out of the question' - my advice would be to try and find someone local with suitable soldering/crimping skills who will take this project on, I would not attempt it if you are not comfortable with this type of work.

HDMI cable - there is no standard colour coding. If you go down the route of trying to use the cable as a 'CAT' cable you will need to chop off both Connector then decide which pairs you can use.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom