Question Dynaudio vs Kef vs B&W

John3:16

New speaker time. Covid, so no chance to demo. Looking for opinions on which out of these front speaker sets you would choose and why.

Speaker options: Dynaudio Emit M20/15C vs Kef Q350/250C vs B&W 606/HTM6 S2 Anniversary

Additional info: Denon AVR-X4500H amp in a 22’ x 12’ room, set up along the longest wall, firing across the room, non-negotiable. System is 7.1, currently using Kef Q1/9C front L,C,R, Q8S rear L&R, Canon V100 front L&R heights with a Rel Strata III on bass duties.

Thanks. 🙏

gibbsy

It would be KEF for me with the Denon. Very wide dispersion from the UniQ design will suit the narrow aspect. I find Dynaudio a little too bright for me and that would certainly impact of the narrow aspect. The B&W are likely to have a tighter focus and good mid and high performance, nicer looking speaker than the KEFs which may suit others.

Your very familiar with the KEF signature and it's going to be a close call with the new Q350s and you will certainly notice a difference by going to the Dynaudio or the B&Ws. You'll notice that difference rather than a big improvement of the current KEFs I feel.

Would you consider just replacing the stereo pair with KEF R3s and getting the R2C sometime in the future, keeping the original centre in the short term? The R3 would certainly prove much better than any of those on your list.

It would be KEF for me with the Denon. Very wide dispersion from the UniQ design will suit the narrow aspect. I find Dynaudio a little too bright for me and that would certainly impact of the narrow aspect. The B&W are likely to have a tighter focus and good mid and high performance, nicer looking speaker than the KEFs which may suit others.

Your very familiar with the KEF signature and it's going to be a close call with the new Q350s and you will certainly notice a difference by going to the Dynaudio or the B&Ws. You'll notice that difference rather than a big improvement of the current KEFs I feel.

Would you consider just replacing the stereo pair with KEF R3s and getting the R2C sometime in the future, keeping the original centre in the short term? The R3 would certainly prove much better than any of those on your list.
Some very good points, thank you. I have heard Dynaudios in the past and I was very impressed by their accuracy and punch, in fact I liked every individual aspect of them but for some reason I couldn’t connect with them as a whole. However, reading the latest reviews, I have been wondering if it’s time to revisit the Danish wonders. The B&Ws are another highly regarded speaker, but for everyone that says they’re sweet and accurate, there is someone that complains about their over brightness. As far as the Kef Q350s go, my main worry is that for a not inconsiderable amount of money, I will get essentially the same sound in a less attractive box. Your suggestion about considering the R3s makes some sense in this light. The only downside of the R series, for me anyway, is that the R2c is very deep, to the point that it may not fit in place. Also, there are budgetary considerations. It would take me best part of a year to save up again for the R2c, and I am not a patient person. 😉

Thanks again Gibbsy. I wonder what others think...

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@John3:16

The 606s are on sale for 329£ and the S2 model is 599£. If you read the AVF B&W 600 S2 5.1 review Steve said that they sounded very similar to earlier range. These refreshes are often just PR trick, big promises about changes making night and day difference, while in reality it`s tiny refinements in sound and perhaps better looks.

The 603 shows that 600 range are indeed bright, but if you keep them shooting straight as opposed to toed in, it will make difference! See the green line on-axis. Also the dip at 2k region.. B&Ws these days quite different what they were back in the days. Measurements are not good if compared to Kef, Revel etc. big names. They are tuned certain way so you either like the sound or like many people say they are voiced to sound great in showroom (bright to trick thinking that they reveal more information). Read the 603 review at Audioholics site, it should apply many ways to 606s.

PS. What about used KEF R300 and R200c if you can make the latter fit? Same as @gibbsy system. :)

@John3:16

The 606s are on sale for 329£ and the S2 model is 599£. If you read the AVF B&W 600 S2 5.1 review Steve said that they sounded very similar to earlier range. These refreshes are often just PR trick, big promises about changes making night and day difference, while in reality it`s tiny refinements in sound and perhaps better looks.

The 603 shows that 600 range are indeed bright, but if you keep them shooting straight as opposed to toed in, it will make difference! See the green line on-axis. Also the dip at 2k region.. B&Ws these days quite different what they were back in the days. Measurements are not good if compared to Kef, Revel etc. big names. They are tuned certain way so you either like the sound or like many people say they are voiced to sound great in showroom (bright to trick thinking that they reveal more information). Read the 603 review at Audioholics site, it should apply many ways to 606s.

PS. What about used KEF R300 and R200c if you can make the latter fit? Same as @gibbsy system. :)
Thanks for that. It backs up what I’ve read about the B&Ws being a ‘Marmite’ type of speaker, you either love it or hate it. I will definitely look into the Kef R300/200c option. 😊👍

I've owned Kef and b&w speakers. I prefer the Kef sound. B&w a bit bright, but using a warmer amp will sort it out
I’ve always liked the smoothness of the Kef sound, but I am hoping to find something with a bit more punch. I don’t know how the latest versions compare with my ageing Q1s in this respect. I miss the days of spending time at a local hifi shop answering these questions by using my own ears. 😕

Thank you for your input. 😊👍

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I'm using B&W CM1s with my 4500 and I'm really happy with the sound.

I'm using B&W CM1s with my 4500 and I'm really happy with the sound.
Thanks for your response. How would you describe the sound of your B&Ws with the Denon?

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your response. How would you describe the sound of your B&Ws with the Denon?
I honestly wouldn't know how to describe a sound characteristic. "Better"? :p

What I will say is that they're a big step up from the speakers they replaced (an ancient set of Kef Q35s with a Q15 as the centre).
Granted they were more expensive, but massively better.

When I bought the B&Ws, I auditioned them against the latest KEFs (can't remember what was the current model at that time) at my local retailers and the B&Ws were head and shoulders above the KEFs.

Speakers are probably the most subjective part of any setup so I always try to get an audition if I can.

TB Rich

Speakers are probably the most subjective part of any setup so I always try to get an audition if I can.
I would 2nd this absolutely.
To my ears KEF R sound much nicer than B&W 700 series being not just bright but edgy. How that translates down to Q vs 600 series I can't say, but reports are usually similar in the majority of cases.

I would 2nd this absolutely.
To my ears KEF R sound much nicer than B&W 700 series being not just bright but edgy. How that translates down to Q vs 600 series I can't say, but reports are usually similar in the majority of cases.
Roohster & TB Rich, I couldn’t agree more about auditioning, but Covid-19 has stopped that from being an option, at least until we are out of lockdown, whenever that might be. It does appear that the Kef vs B&W question is purely down to tonal preference rather than quality of sound.
Thank you both for your input.

I wonder if anyone has any experience of the Dynaudio Emit M20s?

AudioNut1983

Novice Member
I posted a thread on advice for new speakers just now! I didn’t notice this thread until afterwards.
I am also considering the bw speakers and the dynaudio’s, really struggling to find what I’m after and it definitely isn’t anything bright! I don’t know what the denon avr is like but I find my pma 600ne quite neutral in the treble, it helps with some bright speakers but I’ve had some that were so bright it hurts!
I hope you find something you like, it’s hard when you want something and can’t compare anything.

I posted a thread on advice for new speakers just now! I didn’t notice this thread until afterwards.
I am also considering the bw speakers and the dynaudio’s, really struggling to find what I’m after and it definitely isn’t anything bright! I don’t know what the denon avr is like but I find my pma 600ne quite neutral in the treble, it helps with some bright speakers but I’ve had some that were so bright it hurts!
I hope you find something you like, it’s hard when you want something and can’t compare anything.
Thanks, it is tough when all you only have reviews and other folks opinions to go on.
I’m also looking at the Monitor Audio Silver range, as they seem to err on the side of neutrality. They are another brand that I remember listening to many years ago and being impressed by. The Silver 100 bookshelves are very well reviewed. Perhaps worth investigating for yourself? Best of luck! 😊👍

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom